Lightning Struck

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
Well, a sad day last Monday night, when a training storm came through a cow I owned was struck by lightning (my wifes favorite), she had a bull calf that was born on July 4, so he is 61 days old to be excact. So far he has not lost any weight. Do you think I should do anything speacial, he is eating hay, and supplement. He likes bread also.
http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/069.JPG

There may be about as much profit in him right now as there is ever going to be. In other words before I would winter him, I might would just sell him. He may end up looking like a dough ball, and really get docked later. I wish my kids had him to rope.

I'm sorry for the loss of your cow. It hurts two ways. Your heart when she is a favorite and your pocket book.

She was a pretty cow.

069.JPG

slick4591":2cwgwnze said:
Sorry you lost her. Seems like the favorite is the one that falls victim.
Or could it be that once they're gone they become a favorite. If you notice, nobody ever has a cow that they hate die.

dun":1h2pfcz8 said:
slick4591":1h2pfcz8 said:
Or could it be that once they're gone they become a favorite. If you notice, nobody ever has a cow that they hate die.

True, but my wife will tell you quickly which one of ours is her favorite.

sorry about losing her if the calf is not getting out and is staying where you want him hay and some feed would be fine i don't think i would sell yet but it might possibly be the thing to do just doesn't seem like the best option right now to me. i would worm and blackleg ifyou haven't allready.

dun":ze9q84d8 said:
slick4591":ze9q84d8 said:
"Only the good die young" kinda thing?

Very sorry. I get attached to my cows and bull. I watch them and I pet them. So I understand your wife's feelings. And there are definite favorites. The one that responds to your attention and seeks you out, etc. I hope the little one does well.

dun":3l29uf4q said:
slick4591":3l29uf4q said:

Dun,

when I had one I didn't like....she was gone....I was always on the lookout for an opportunity to add some of my good heifers so any cow that was not pleasing to me would acquire marks against her name. two marks and she was gone. Early on I just beefed em or sold at market...in later years I had neighbors who were perfectly happy to take my cast offs....I would always tell em why I any particular cow was for sale....customers came back and asked for more.

had a guy here last week who was inquiring where he could buy some cows, as his supplier no longer had any for sale....I was his supplier and he bought 2 to 6 from us every year.

So....any cow I lost was considered by me to be a good cow....

I sold one once becase she would not stay in a barb wire fence....she knew barb from electric but we had a lot of the back perimeter that was barb. She was a real good young cow who raised wonderful calves....but she would just walk through a barb wire fence and go where she wanted...not wild or crazy...actually pretty docile....i would not sell her to a neighbor for obvious reasons

We had one that was on the short list to leave for 5 years before I finally shipped her. Through the years she had 4 calves that went to the fair as feeder steer class and they were always in the upper 5%.

thommoos":2d79qn48 said:
Well, a sad day last Monday night, when a training storm came through a cow I owned was struck by lightning (my wifes favorite), she had a bull calf that was born on July 4, so he is 61 days old to be excact. So far he has not lost any weight. Do you think I should do anything speacial, he is eating hay, and supplement. He likes bread also.
http://ranchers.net/photopost/data/500/069.JPG

I think what you are doing is special enough anyway.. up to you whether or not you want to keep him or sell him. Just depends on whether you have the time to mess with him.