Lightning!

Help Support CattleToday:

The weather is something else in the last 5 years. Unexplained heavy rain, large hail and 80mi wind that wasn't forcast. Weather apps cant keep up...

That's so sad. We've had 3 killed over the years by lightning in separate instances, but have heard several stories of large numbers like that being killed under trees.
I can't hear anymore, but the commotion of my wife trying to keep a scared of storms overweight Blue Heeler out of the bed woke me up. Wife said she heard what sounded like a major lightning strike close by and we were worried till daylight about the cattle. Wife was really worried especially about our Brahman Longhorn cross heifer. The last one we had get struck was a purebred longhorn heifer.

My dad and I lost a nice registered shorthorn heifer several years ago . Standing under a lone pine tree . Trees like that are lightning rods .

Heart wrenching. I lost a first calf heifer, brand new bull & 5-month-old calf in separate strikes. I actually had my bull posted because I only had him 3 weeks and I wanted to make absolutely sure there wasn't anything internally wrong. Nope. Vet found the point of entry on his shoulder and exit on the bottom of his foot.

Does it absolutely ruin all the meat if lightning kills it?
(assuming you find it immediately after death occurs)

Just read on a news app , Al live , there were 31 killed . That's enough to make a grown man cry ! I probably would at 1 !
These storms are getting rough..a lot of lightning and hail ,it looked like a fireworks show here the other night ..itll draw you up.

Our cow we had hit, char cross cow, she got killed with her calf she was birthing halfway out of her. Big mid-summer thunderstorm caught her out in the open in the valley where she was the tallest for a quarter mile. The burnt cow, birthing goop, and associated festered in that summer sun and the smell that drifted on the wind reminded me of cheese toast for some reason. Rest of that summer, you passed me the cheese toast at breakfast, you got it right on back. I was cooking venison steaks out back over chipped peach wood from one of our trees that died one afternoon after me and my cousin had worked about a mile of fence and that wind blew that stuff right up my way. I just about didn't eat that night.

Awful as it is, we all have stories slickers wish they could have. There's something good to that.

We had a similar incident here where 15-20 cows were killed by lightning. My grandfather had a renter that tended to "stretch the truth". He went around and told people that they had to wait 6 days to move the dead cows to let the electricity run out of them. 🤣🤣
You can't be too carefull but I think 5 days would have been sufficient.

Ken

Had one get hit. Coyotes never touched it and neither did turkey vultures.
Same thing happened years ago with my grandpa. Lost 3 cows and 1 calf laying under a cedar tree. Nothing touched 'em. Even the hide was still there years later.

My (step) grandpa, other side, lost 7 along a fenceline many years ago.

Latest posts