Lightning

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Why won't varmints/scavengers eat an animal that's been struck by lightning? It's been over 2 weeks since my brand spanking new bull was hit and he still hasn't decomposed. Plus I had him posted so easy pickins'. And as I recall it took a long time for a first calf heifer to decompose a couple years ago, no necropsy.

I'm wanting (actually needing) to open the pasture where we dumped him but concerned about potential health risks to the herd. He's way back in a wooded area, really the only place we could dispose of him because everything has been so saturated. Should we try to bury or burn him? Or not worry about it?

Decomposing cattle where the mortality is due to lightning will not pose danger to grazing stock.

In Kentucky, we are required to bury or incinerate dead cattle. But in our county there is no enforcement.

I am bewildered that scavengers are not eating the lightning struck cattle.

Bright Raven said:
Decomposing cattle where the mortality is due to lightning will not pose danger to grazing stock.

In Kentucky, we are required to bury or incinerate dead cattle. But in our county there is no enforcement.

Thank you, good to know.
We most likely have an ordinance to burn or bury but honestly, 99% of the time they're gone within a couple days.

Maybe there is a chemical coumpound that is released when they're struck that's offensive to carnivores? He certainly didn't look barbecued when the vet opened him up.

I had a cow die once and drug it of down by a creek. The buzzards ate the soft tissue the next day and then it set for two weeks with nothing. Then they started back and it was gone in two days.

TCRanch said:
Bright Raven said:

Thank you, good to know.
We most likely have an ordinance to burn or bury but honestly, 99% of the time they're gone within a couple days.

Maybe there is a chemical coumpound that is released when they're struck that's offensive to carnivores? He certainly didn't look barbecued when the vet opened him up.

We have a state law but there is no enforcement agency. If someone complains, the sheriff will become involved. Rarely happens here.

I would turn the cows in. The dead cow will not be a threat. I wouldn't think lightning would create any compound that would turn away buzzards. IDK.

bird dog said:
I had a cow die once and drug it of down by a creek. The buzzards ate the soft tissue the next day and then it set for two weeks with nothing. Then they started back and it was gone in two days.
That's something to consider. Unfortunately a neighbor shot himself about 100 yards from the bull and wasn't discovered for 6 days. What was left of him. Maybe they'll go back to the bull now.

As others have said I don't think there would be any health risk there for the other cattle in that case. I have always heard that varmits would not eat lightning strike victim carcasses. Seems like there could be something to that but don't know why. Over the years we have lost some for various reasons. I typically drag them up next to our driveway so the "dead wagon" as the dead animal removal service truck is called locally here can pick it up, I cover them with a tarp to keep crittters and our dogs off of it. Have to keep a close watch or the dogs will mess with it. Last summer one of our longhorn heifers was killed by lightning, and the dog went over and smelled around and then walked away and didn't bother with it.

You can compost him....cover him with hay or wood chips.

TCRanch said:
Ebenezer said:
Banjo said:
You can compost him....cover him with hay or wood chips.

Better quality hay against the body. Everything else to create the mound.

Interesting, thank you. It's so wet and muddy I'm really not sure he would burn & burying him would be a testament to the track loader.

nbt atm locations
Don't underestimate the digging potential of a FEL tractor. Dug this 5'hole in about 30 min with my 55hp Kubota

Lazy M said:
TCRanch said:
Ebenezer said:
Better quality hay against the body. Everything else to create the mound.

Interesting, thank you. It's so wet and muddy I'm really not sure he would burn & burying him would be a testament to the track loader.

nbt atm locations
Don't underestimate the digging potential of a FEL tractor. Dug this 5'hole in about 30 min with my 55hp Kubota
That's awesome! And yes, he traded in the Deer for a Kubota.

TCRanch said:
Lazy M said:
TCRanch said:

nbt atm locations
That's awesome! And yes, he traded in the Deer for a Kubota.

We have a New Holland, 2 JD, and a Kubota. The Kubota is my choice everytime.

Interesting thread. We had a big jarrah tree here hit by lightning and jarrah is excellent firewood. My grandfather told me after a lightning strike it will not burn. I didn't pay attention as he was a superstitious man, well long story short he was right. No idea why.

Redgully said:
Interesting thread. We had a big jarrah tree here hit by lightning and jarrah is excellent firewood. My grandfather told me after a lightning strike it will not burn. I didn't pay attention as he was a superstitious man, well long story short he was right. No idea why.

And I've heard that lightning helps fertilize soil because of the nitrogen. Also have no idea if that's actually true. Things that make you go Hmmmmm?

Hook2.0 said:
Buzzards wont touch lightening struck cattle and snake-bit cattle

Does that include all carnivores? Buzzards were all over the bull when I found him but they only pecked out his eyes and anus, he was covered in droppings. BTW we only have the red headed turkey buzzards if that makes a difference.

I'm sorry about your bull. That is interesting that the buzzards won't eat the carcass. Maybe it just takes longer to smell rotten? The burnt smell might cover up the rot smell they are seeking? There is always a reason why with animals. Their senses are so much more acute.

I think lightning is the biggest killer of cattle at pasture in my state.

I lost one of my best cows to a strike. I guess I was lucky she was the only one under that tree that was hit. I know of other people who lost an entire herd, sheltering in the same spot, from a single strike. When I found Bonny, we called a neighbor with a back hoe and buried her, the same day, not to far from where she was hit. The weirdest thing was that no cattle would graze under that tree after that. The grass was eaten down everywhere else, but grew tall under that tree. Where she was buried, they walked all over and grazed fine, but they seemed to remember the place where she was struck. The tree, an old live oak, had a scar, but survived. Maybe because the energy from the strike went into Bonny.

When I've had cattle die in the past, I call the county animal control and they will send a backhoe to bury them. Knock on wood, none in several years

Txpiney said:
When I've had cattle die in the past, I call the county animal control and they will send a backhoe to bury them. Knock on wood, none in several years
Wow. That would fall under a Township service here and all they really do is grade the roads, sometimes pick up trash if someone dumps a load.

Latest posts