Life alert medical alert systems?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with a medical alert system? Mother fell this morning in the bathroom and was down about 3 hours. Looking at all options here.

My 86 yr old grandmother has one. Only had to use it once. A world of peace of mind for her (and all of us) that lets her keep more of her independence.

By all means get her one, if she will wear it.
MIL used hers to get ambulance recently.
Both me and daughters of an elderly friend tried to get her to get one. She said she didn't need it because she carried her cordless phone when she went outside.
She fell down inside and couldn't get to her phone. She was on the floor for hours, no water, no anything.
She was taken to hospital and never really recovered. She might be alive today if she had one.

I got one for free from Medicare/Medicaid-you have to have a "landline"..Due to "Lite up Texas"program,my phone bill is 10.00$ a month. I wear the pendant always,it's waterproof,so don't worry about the shower. It's very light,don't notice I have it on. They call every month to check that it's working,I press the button and reassure the box that all is well. It makes me feel more secure. The one that's advertised on tv is 50.00$ per month. Also a good company.
Hope your Mom is OK,scary all the way around.

peg4x4":3jagghgw said:
I got one for free from Medicare/Medicaid-you have to have a "landline"..Due to "Lite up Texas"program,my phone bill is 10.00$ a month. I wear the pendant always,it's waterproof,so don't worry about the shower. It's very light,don't notice I have it on. They call every month to check that it's working,I press the button and reassure the box that all is well. It makes me feel more secure. The one that's advertised on tv is 50.00$ per month. Also a good company.
Hope your Mom is OK,scary all the way around.

Is Medicare paying for it? Thats one thing my mom was wondering about. Going to ask her doctor about it today.

One of the two is--Medicare I'm pretty sure--Do you guys have #211---like 911,but 211-they have all sorts of information on eldercare,lots of phone ##,will send pamplets. They're the ones that helped get my teeth fixed.

tom4018":4t9vxbfg said:
Anyone have any experience with a medical alert system? Mother fell this morning in the bathroom and was down about 3 hours. Looking at all options here.

My grandmother has one it came from ADT its great quick response time but you have to have a land line for it or atleast when we signed up you did.

I see this thread coming back to life after 6 years?

Reminded me that a friend bought his elderly mother a similar service about a dozen years ago.
It was like a necklace with a push button in case of emergency.
She was wearing it on her way to get the mail when she fell and broke her hip.
Instead of pushing the button, she drug herself back to the house, rested her back against the side of the house and
waited 3 Hours until neighbors came home and took her to the hospital, because she didn't want to bother with an
ambulance.

We always joked she must have been sitting along side of the house on neighborhood watch...
ready to push the button if she happened to see an emergency come along.

Latest posts