Stay alert the Red wasp are on one around my place

Help Support CattleToday:

I get nailed more than I care to admit, especially at the beginning of the season! The red bastards will attack for no reason what so ever and sting multiple times. I have learned from experience to carry a small baggie or an empty pill bottle filled with pure MSG. I keep it in my pocket and as soon as I am stung, I pour it on the sting and then wet it down, just a little to form a paste and rub it in. It neutralizes the venom almost immediately. 80% of the time it doesn't even swell or hurt. If you don't have water handy, you can just spit on it if necessary. Fill small pill bottles with MSG and stash them around and keep one on your person. You'll be glad you did!

Keep in mind the clothing you wear, wasps see some colors as danger such as orange or red, maybe yellow as well. I have had them Chase me down with a orange shirt on, put a black shirt on and they left me alone.

Keep in mind the clothing you wear, wasps see some colors as danger such as orange or red, maybe yellow as well. I have had them Chase me down with a orange shirt on, put a black shirt on and they left me alone.

I'm surprised to hear that. I don't have any personal experience with comparing wasp behavior with different colors, but I know honey bees will be much quicker to attack dark colors. There's a reason beekeepers wear white coveralls.

You just haven't had enough eating on you at one time.
Opened a feed room door once and got popped eight times before I could say scat.
You just reminded me of the time I was in the bulk tank of the combine, reached into a corner by the clean grain elevator without looking and bumped something with my hand that started vibrating. The split second it took for things to click they had gotten me a couple times already and by the time I scrambled out of the bulk tank they got me about 5-6 times total. That old 1470 had open cross augers you coulda shaved with so it wasn't exactly a quick escape. Got nailed a couple times on the forehead when I was starting the old Oliver 1650 too. Reached past an empty hole on the dash and out they came.

Anymore I'll just start watching for the nests to show up and wait for a cool night when they're all home and not moving fast. Go to work with the hornet spray and do some damage. I don't think it makes a big dent in the population here but I figure it's gotta help some.

Does this really work? I've been looking for a solution because seems like commercial wasp spray doesn't work like it used to.
If you hit them hem
Does this really work? I've been looking for a solution because seems like commercial wasp spray doesn't work like it used to.
If you hit them good enough to wet them, they will drop to the ground. Then you have your choice. Use your boot or let them suffer a while before they die. I don't understand the mechanism that kills them but I've killed about a thousand since learning about it here in the forum.

This talk of commercial wasp spray reminds me of when I was working bees in Moffit, North Dakota about 25 years ago. The local bar had a small 3-sided shed for barbecuing out back that had a hornet nest in it. One day the owner and a few of his buddies had consumed some of his product and decided that this was the day to get rid of those hornets. So they soaked the nest with wasp spray. Then one of them had the bright idea to light the nest to make sure they got all the hornets.

They did get all the hornets. They burned down the shed, but they got the hornets. I guess they didn't know wasp spray is flammable.

If you hit them hem

If you hit them good enough to wet them, they will drop to the ground. Then you have your choice. Use your boot or let them suffer a while before they die. I don't understand the mechanism that kills them but I've killed about a thousand since learning about it here in the forum.
That's been my experience, but most of them will survive to get you back 5X the next day after the dish soap dries up. It works better on the new brood that hatched out the current year than it does on the older ones.
If you want to fight them every day, go work in an O&G pipe yard. They love to build nests in hot steel.
Had my fight with them last year back in E Texas.
https://www.cattletoday.com/threads/war-has-come-against-red-wasps.126514/