Let the fight begin!

Help Support CattleToday:

Ham n beans, fried taters fresh side and corn bread. Oh yeah, relish on the ham n beans. Dang good eating.
Yes sir !!
Mom made fried taters and onions with ham and beans, sweet cornbread.
Now I seen a lot of people put ketchup, or malt vinegar on those beans.... But I have never heard of putting relish on beans..... are you sure you're from Southern Illinois 😜

I didn't know anybody but me that adds cooked rice to chili?

I don't add it to the chili while it's cooking, but add it in the bowl when I eat it, to help soak up the juice.

I never met a bean I didn't like... but I've never been introduced to "purple hull" so I'll have to look that one up and see of I know it by another name. Maybe get some seed and grow 'um. Yum...

I have. Lima beans and butter beans taste awful to me, but I never found another type I didn't like.

Yes sir !!
Mom made fried taters and onions with ham and beans, sweet cornbread.
Now I seen a lot of people put ketchup, or malt vinegar on those beans.... But I have never heard of putting relish on beans..... are you sure you're from Southern Illinois 😜
Chow chow on the beans..

I don't add it to the chili while it's cooking, but add it in the bowl when I eat it, to help soak up the juice.

I have. Lima beans and butter beans taste awful to me, but I never found another type I didn't like.
Not a fan of Lima or butter beans ..like chewing spearmint gum ,with no spearmint in it..

Uh oh. @greybeard ,I am so sorry. I thought I had read some where you were Navy! I guess I could have looked at your avatar, huh?

Did you just call a united states marine a "navy guy"..lol

You are both correct. I am dual service.

Spent 4 years USMC and 5 years USN.
In 1970, when I went to Vietnam, the Marines had over 260,00 troops. A record high. As the Marines pulled out starting in '71, they started downsizing back to pre Vietnam levels and by '73 when my enlistment was up, they were down to 186,00. My MOS was full up and then some, like almost all Mos at the time. US Army was also downsizing but I wasn't interested in them anyway unless I could get back into helicopter aviation, and that area of US Army was cutting back too. My USMC re-enlistment incentive was Embassy school and foreign duty at one of the embassies or foreign missions. I was a good Marine, but I had no desire to be that kind of Marine. Embassy dutyis not what many think it is. They don't guard the Embassies. They take care of and guard what is inside the embassy...the classified material. Each host nation, by international agreement, provides the day to day exterior security and a ready force of Marine infantry is flown in if the SHTF. Embassy duty is spit and polish garrison duty of sorts and I was a combat Marine that wanted to travel more than just be stuck in one little place for a year at a time, often some dirt hole country in nowhere planet Earth. So I got out, and went in the Navy for 2 years. After 4 years USMC, it was a culture shock. I found both discipline and professionalism to be 'lacking' but I muddled thru, stiff upper lip as the Brits might say, and got 2 promotions up to E6. First duty station was Guantanamo Bay Cuba as a diesel mechanic (what they called an engineman. Then to Pcola doing the same job and re-enlisted for the gas turbine program for the then new Spruance class destroyers. Caught a tin can DD 964 in Subic Bay and cruised the Pacific and Indian Ocean on and off for a couple of years until I had to get out and care for my 4 kids when my then wife decided she no longer wanted to be a mother to. (she had gotten into drugs and I'll never forget the words she told me that day "take them with you, they're better off with you than here with me. I LKE putting a needle in my arm)
I'm proud of both my services, but I was just 'in the Navy' but will always first and foremost be a US Marine.

Can't go the relish but good chow-chow in a bowl of beans sure hits home.
My mother made what she called green tomato ketchup or relish. Some people called it chow chow.
It looked like what I've seen labeled as chow chow.
She made it green tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and several other ingredients for spices. She'd make a few batches of it ever year along with her other canning.
We used it in soup beans and in chicken salad and tuna.
After I married it took me a while to develop a tolerance for tuna that my wife made with store bought pickle relish😂

My mother made what she called green tomato ketchup or relish. Some people called it chow chow.
It looked like what I've seen labeled as chow chow.
She made it green tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and several other ingredients for spices. She'd make a few batches of it ever year along with her other canning.
We used it in soup beans and in chicken salad and tuna.
After I married it took me a while to develop a tolerance for tuna that my wife made with store bought pickle relish😂
Ugh store bought relish. I'd rather kiss the south end of a north bound cow on spring grass.

. . . until I had to get out and care for my 4 kids when my then wife decided she no longer wanted to be a mother to. (she had gotten into drugs and I'll never forget the words she told me that day "take them with you, they're better off with you than here with me. I LKE putting a needle in my arm)
I'm proud of both my services, but I was just 'in the Navy' but will always first and foremost be a US Marine.

Thank you for your service, and I'm sorry it had to end that way, but at least she let you have your children to keep them safe. I'm told that isn't always the case.

Ugh store bought relish. I'd rather kiss the south end of a north bound cow on spring grass.
😂 I won't go that far, but store bought relish definitely is an acquired taste. I'm to the point now where I'll eat it but it shore ain't my favorite.

Back to the chili… pork sausage instead of burger. Sorry cattle today, there's nearly nothing burger can do that sausage won't do better.

I

It's a jellied pepper kind of deal, it's up to or around six different peppers in there. It can be spicy or sweet or both. My grandmother makes it, and makes it damn good. She has given me a recipe. I will try to hunt it up.
I've got some of that too. Good stuff.

Latest posts