Leaving the cows to watch the farm.

Help Support CattleToday:

Highgrit,
You should at the lowest level, make an arrangement for someone to stop in a couple times a week and walk through your herd. In today's technology they can text you pictures and send you updates. Shyt happens. A cow can get her foot caught under a root. A friend of mine bought an expensive show heifer for his daughter. He turned her out in the herd. He did not see them for a week. When he went looking, he found the heifer hanging over the bank of the creek with her back legs wedged under an above the ground level root. She was barely alive and they had to shoot her. He said it was many years ago and the accident still haunts him.

I have been retired going on 5 years. I have only had about 10 days that I have not been with my cows. I don't advocate anyone to adopt my practices of cattle husbandry. It is too demanding. But you should make some kind of arrangements that provides you peace of mind. Peace of Mind is worth a King's ransom!!!

I guess I would talk to neighbor friends to keep a eye open. With the price of cattle I wouldn't want someone wandering off with some of them. A story I heard once about a guy sending his cattle to summer pasture with unbranded calves. About two weeks before they were to go home somebody else weaned his calves for him

Waterway65":pbk2s242 said:
I guess I would talk to neighbor friends to keep a eye open. With the price of cattle I wouldn't want someone wandering off with some of them. A story I heard once about a guy sending his cattle to summer pasture with unbranded calves. About two weeks before they were to go home somebody else weaned his calves for him

get someone to watch them for that reason. Even in friendly Ol' Canada this happens. :mad:

I don't turn my back on mine... either they'll find a way to shut the water off, open a gate, or *SOMETHING*... and it's going to be while you're gone.
We never EVER leave the farm unattended.. going on 25 years there has probably been less than 100 hours where there wasn't anyone home. We have some neighbors we trust, but many we don't, and too much valuable stuff around we'd like to keep for a while yet.

I'd say if you know someone that can check in on them every couple days, that's fine.

If you have a big herd, and they're out on range and you lose one or two, that's not a huge deal, if you're a little guy and you lose one or two to something stupid, well, it hurts a little more

Latest posts