Leave twine on the rolls or Not?

Help Support CattleToday:

I was always taught that the twine (plastic) had to come off because cows are ruminants. If they ingest the twine and during the course of completing their digestion process the twine gets between their stomachs it could cause serious problems. Never had a vet tell me that but it makes sense.

Anyone have a real answer?

You ever seen net wrapping after its been thru a cow? Looks like a large owl pellet. I can se it stopping something up ez. Get it off and its not a worry

I figure it takes me a couple minutes and stepping off the tractor briefly. I sleep better because I cut them off and that is worth the little bit of effort it takes.

We remove all netwrap or plastic twine. Number 1 cause a blockage in cattle as mentioned. Number 2 it is a pain to cut off the beaters of a vertical manure spreader cause its not at working level and its a pain to cut off from anything once it has gotten wound up tight let alone full of manure. Number 3 it costs a lot of money and work when the twine or net wrap works its way into a seal or bearing and ruins them.

I take the twine off. I have some that is in the woods near where I park my tractor. It has been there for years. So imagine it laying around trhe pasture to get tangled up on equipment, you or the cows. Also don't want cows to eat.

Latest posts