Lbs. of seed per acre(bermuda)

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
Planting bermuda (wrangler) how many lbs per acre do you sow? I have read from 6lb up to15lbs. In the past I have just planted did not know how many lbs.

Depends on how fast you want a thick stand.

Last month I planted 7 lbs of coated seed to the acre....doubt any will survive but I already had the seed and it sure won't grow any better if left in the bag in a closet.....it's not the rate recommended on the bag, but it's still in the neighborhood of 6+ million seeds per acre.....and my goal isn't to cut hay off of it in a couple months.

I'm the worst one here to answer your question. I am planting some wrangler in a couple weeks, I'm planting 15 pounds to the acre. It's my rookie year with Bermuda.

1982vett":2gaqoz9f said:

Last month I planted 7 lbs of coated seed to the acre....doubt any will survive but I already had the seed and it sure won't grow any better if left in the bag in a closet.....it's not the rate recommended on the bag, but it's still in the neighborhood of 6+ million seeds per acre.....and my goal isn't to cut hay off of it in a couple months.

As stated above, it all depends on what you're after. For just pasture, all the professionals ( fertilizer & seed guys)I've talked with recommend 5 -6 pounds/acre and that's what we have also done. The results have always been good.......when we've had rain. :) One year I planted common bermuda at about 6 pounds/acre right before a week of on again/off again rain that totalled about 5 inches around the first part May. Man, that stuff looked like a hay meadow by the middle of June. Of course, that was just pure dumb luck and the good Lord blessing us with good weather and timely rains.

1982vett":3rs12g4d said:

It might make it. You and I have a 60% plus chance of rain Thursday. And IF we get any followup rains after that, you might be good to go on that Bermuda!

Bigfoot":1rhxqrfk said:
I'm going to notill mine-----------Mistake?
No...just don't get it into deep. 1/4 inch is all you want if that much. Planted mine in tilled ground. First pass was in the furrow...second pass I pulled the drop tubs out and let if fall on the ground then put a cultipacker across it. Previous years we mixed it with sandblasting sand and slung it out on prepared seedbed with a 3 point spreader and packed it.

James T":380l59g4 said:
1982vett":380l59g4 said:

It might make it. You and I have a 60% plus chance of rain Thursday. And IF we get any followup rains after that, you might be good to go on that Bermuda!

Oh yeah....going to hold my breath on that one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This post got me to reading up on Wrangler Bermuda. How would Wrangler do in Louisiana. South central La. I guess it would be. I'm trying to decide what I wanna plant for hay, and maybe try some in pastures.

I chose wrangler for the cold tolerance. I chose a seeded variety because of the lack of sprigs. If I were in Louisiana I don't think my first choice would be wrangler.

Ok Bigfoot,thanks. That's all I needed to know. I'm leaning towards coastal or jiggs, but seeds would be easier for me to plant.

OK....while driving by the field I planted a little over 3 weeks ago (March 26th) I noticed several green lines..... :shock: .....appears some seed found adequate moisture and probably with the help of a tractor tire when cultipacking, managed to come up.

This is Cheyenne II. It's a coated seed and the tag states it's 48% pure live seed. So using 50% for easy calculations, the math works out:

7 lbs per acre = 3.5 lbs pls, and if a lb of bermuda seed has 2 million seed this then puts out roughly 7 million seeds per acre. Now seeing as I made a ballpark guess on setting the machine, I did manage to set it near half of my intended target (second time across I pulled the tubes and dropped the seed on top) so that makes the seeding rate in this picture about 1.75 lbs to the acre or 3.5 million seeds per acre. As one can see, if conditions are right and the entire patch came up as this one little strip and it grew as bermuda grass is known to grow....1 or two lbs of pure live seed should be adequate if you don't want to cut for hay or graze the first year.

Vett,

I see what looks like roots from a preexisting stand of bermuda. If so what is the longevity of a stand of cheyenne II. What little bermuda that I have is very persistent, but unpalatable.

hillrancher":j9eu382u said:
Planting bermuda (wrangler) how many lbs per acre do you sow? I have read from 6lb up to15lbs. In the past I have just planted did not know how many lbs.
plant bahia

Bigfoot":1zt0ke3c said:
Vett,

I see what looks like roots from a preexisting stand of bermuda. If so what is the longevity of a stand of cheyenne II. What little bermuda that I have is very persistent, but unpalatable.
No, that's last years haygrazer and field grasses. Could be some of this years volunteer ryegrass. Could be a sprig of common bermuda in their somewhere, but not to much.

http://www.noble.org/ag/pasture/bermudagrassvarieties/

Post Oak":1k12s2fc said:
hillrancher":1k12s2fc said:
plant bahia
Drought restisant for sure, but I don't know if Vette gets enough rain to get Bahia up and established.

greybeard":31k3i9b3 said:
Post Oak":31k3i9b3 said:
plant bahia
Drought restisant for sure, but I don't know if Vette gets enough rain to get Bahia up and established.
LOL....it can grow here....but it's doesn't seem to stand up to grazing pressure during the hot dry conditions we have had the past few years. It's mostly non-existant in my pastures but I've never planted it.

Latest posts