Largest Commercial Rancher In The USA

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle":2lk30tr7 said:
Whats The Largest Commercial Cattle Ranch In The United States?

In acreage or in head of cattle? Individually owned or corporate?

The biggest one in Texas (individually owned acreage) was broken up a few years back.

In terms of acres. Deseret Cattle Co. in Fla. according to The Cattleman magazine. Guess who owns it?Z

I was wrong. Deseret is the largest in terms of the number of cattle. The King Ranch is the largest by acrerage. 825,000 vs. 300,000 for Deseret but only runs about half as many cows.

Simplot is #2 in number of cattle.Z

Are you sure about the acerage of the King ranch? I know it is the largest in the USA. But I was thinking the ZX out of Paisley Or. (Simplot owned) had 1.2 million acres.

How much of that is deeded and how much is FS grazing allottment(Fremont National Forest)?

The Z Lazy Y at Strawberry Az is a 600 cow outfit with 640 acres of deeded land.Z

I know there are several western ranches that "control" around a million acres. BLM, Forest service, State land often are a huge part of it. If you are looking at just deeded that is a whole other animal. I'm in Simplot and Deseret country (not Florida). Both big outfits.

If any of you ever get to florida, stop by and see the ranch that the lds church owns. They run such a smooth operation, smart management. 50,000 pair!!! Huge!

Latest posts