Large animal Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

we have 5 or 6 vets within 29mi from us.but i dont know how meny still fool with cows.my old is just a dog and cat vet now.he might mess with cows if you haul them in and force him to.but we dont use a vet at all anymore.we do all our own if needed.

Been using one thats about 60 miles away, but loves fooling with cattle. Charges $75 farm call, had a new one start a practice about 4 miles from me so I took a steer to him, he charged me a $35 chute fee I told him I didnt think id be back for anymore of that.
Small animal vet lives next door, last winter on a cold snowy night a neighbor called and had a cow calving wanted to know if id help, I called the vet next door to see if she wanted to go along, she declined said she hadnt touched a cow since graduation. She does help out with our dogs.

We have three clinics within 10 miles of any direction. All three have facilities where you can haul your cattle in, or they come out. They also do small animals in the clinic. We are very lucky. I love my vet! I can call on him any time and he makes time for me. Only once has he not been there for me.... and it scared the bejeebers out of me!!!

I got several around here the one I use is 17 miles away but he is top quality. There are a few mobile vets around, but have never met them. May try to meet them as my vet is getting old not sure how much longer he will practice.

Most of our vets are both large and small animal vets. They are better at small than large. Do have one that is an older guy I really like but he is getting up in years. We also have a guy who is not a vet but does large animal calls. He is as good if not better than most of the vets when dealing with large animals. He'll take the calls for the dirtier work the others don't really want and it seems they just turn their eye and not complain about his indiscretions.

In the large town south of me we now have a vet from England that is now offering acupuncture for little Fifi. They also insist on bi-yearly teeth cleanings for Fifi and will put braces on FiFi's teeth if FiFi's doesn't have a pretty snarl. They also take pet insurance .... and also sell pet insurance at the clinic. Unfortunately they only sell health insurance and not life insurance. I had hoped to take out a large policy on a mongrel that showed up but ..... well I'm off subject.

Latest posts