Land swap

Help Support CattleToday:

NamVet_Farmer44

Reaction score
Swapped my 700 acres of land in the tidewater area in exchange for almost 7,300 acres of land in southern Virginia...figure it was a good exchange, I hope so at least, 700 acres of the best cropland I had; for 7,300 acres that needs a good bit of work, but will be suitable for cattle soon or later...has a decent fence, but it needs some work also, a little overgrown with brush but not too bad, probably 80% of it is pasture and the rest is wooded...has a 25 acre lake...it aint much good for growing any crops though, lands a little rough and rocky, but i'm hoping it will make some good cattle range though...I think I got a lot of work ahead of me now :lol:

Yep a good amount of work ahead.
Good luck sounds like a good deal to me.
Now the fun part starts...

MD

Buck,

Help me understand, I don't know Virginia well. A 700 for 7300 acre swap??? Must be a huge difference in the land?

Help me understand, I don't know Virginia well. A 700 for 7300 acre swap??? Must be a huge difference in the land?

Location might play a role. Is the new ground trees or fields or what?

Is the 7300 acres all in one tract? Pieces that size are virtually nonexistent in MO. Lots of work, but worth it I think. Boone

boone":7ovmguoy said:
Is the 7300 acres all in one tract? Pieces that size are virtually nonexistent in MO. Lots of work, but worth it I think. Boone
7300 Acres is basically non-existent east of the Mississippi River, with the exception of some in Fla. I'd sure be interested to know where in Va. there is still a contiguously existent 7,300 acre parcel, publicly held. :idea:

cypressfarms":2np0x6ri said:
Buck,

the 700 acres was right down by the bay...some of the most fertile land in Virginia, it's the tidewater area, some of the best land you can buy for corn and soybeans...also, the land is getting more and more expensive there due to the rise in population that wants to live down by the bay...fellar across the road from my old land sold 15 acres for around $55,000 an acre...now I know mine wasn't near worth $55,000, but it's worth a good bit more other land in Virginia...the 7,300 acres probably would sell for around $3,000 an acre or so, it's rocky land, ground is pretty dry, lots of hills, it's not flat like the tidewater area...there really is a huge difference in the land, this land is pretty worthless for cropland, but great for range and pasture land...I never thought i'd get 7,300 acres out of the deal, thought I could get maybe 5,000 or so, but never imagined 7,300

boone":kgsmpt54 said:

well it's pretty much one tract...road goes between it and splits it in two though...used to be split up a whole bunch...used to have all been rented to a bunch of different people but I believe the man told me his father bought the leased land and put it all as one spread...hasn't been any farming on it for a long time from the way it looks, the man told me he never used it much, just leased the land to hunters, and other than that, didn't have any use for it...I guess it was just a spread of land that got passed down to someone who had no interest in it

I'm happy for you, How many cows can you run on it when you get it up to speed? My family lives in North carolina is the country similar?

Crowderfarms":2itjhkcn said:
boone":2itjhkcn said:
7300 Acres is basically non-existent east of the Mississippi River, with the exception of some in Fla. I'd sure be interested to know where in Va. there is still a contiguously existent 7,300 acre parcel, publicly held. :idea:

The land is down near Clarksville, not too sure what county it is though, just remember going through Clarksville

NamVet_Farmer44":1229vdtd said:
Crowderfarms":1229vdtd said:
boone":1229vdtd said:

The land is down near Clarksville, not too sure what county it is though, just remember going through Clarksville

You mean to tell us, you done swapped land in another part of the State and don't know what County it lies in? :help:

Beef11":279um25y said:
I'm happy for you, How many cows can you run on it when you get it up to speed? My family lives in North carolina is the country similar?

Should be very similar to NC if your folks live in the Norhtern part...looks as if it'd be around 3-4 acres per cow...i'm not quite sure how many i'd be able to run on it, I dont think i'd want much more than about 1,500 head on it...but I aint planning on ever putting that many on it in my lifetime, i'll leave that up to my children and grandchildren :)

Crowderfarms":2oktrnsj said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2oktrnsj said:
Crowderfarms":2oktrnsj said:
boone":2oktrnsj said:

You mean to tell us, you done swapped land in another part of the State and don't know what County it lies in? :help:

Yeah, that's what I mean to tell you, don't be a smart@ss, it's right outside of Clarksville...probably in Mecklenburg County if I had to guess

congrats on the big swap. Sounds like a lot of work though. Maybe next time you go over you could take some pics for us to be envious over? 7300 acres is huge!

I hope that you are happy with your swap this time next year. I don't have the best land in Tennessee by any means, but i wouldn't swap it for the worst land in TN at 20 to 1. :)

NamVet_Farmer44":2hiq9iq7 said:
Crowderfarms":2hiq9iq7 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":2hiq9iq7 said:
Crowderfarms":2hiq9iq7 said:
boone":2hiq9iq7 said:

Yeah, that's what I mean to tell you, don't be a smart@ss, it's right outside of Clarksville...probably in Mecklenburg County if I had to guess

Umm...I think Crowder (and anyone that reads this board regularly) has a right to question you. A couple of weeks ago you claimed to have bought the following:

The tractor is a Caterpillar Challenger MT865B, the combine is a Caterpillar Challenger 680B

What are you going to do with your several hundred thousand dollars worth of heavy metal now that you own land that is all woods and pasture?

I'd sure like to see your business/farm plan because I'm catching a faint whiff of BS.

You know sometimes it's just nice to sit back and see if anyone else smells the same stank you do... Gotta love it.

Flags been throwed. :lol:

Latest posts