Lame bull after fight with neighbors young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

4ugalsranch

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old Angus bull that came up lame on the right front after running off the neighbors young bull. He appeared to be getting better but now he does not want to walk and when pressed is limping badly and won't put weight on that leg. I have treated many lame horses but never had a lame cow or bull that required treatment.

Any advice on medication, I was thinking banamine but am unsure on dosage. Is there a powdered medication that can be added to feed?

Thanks for any advice.

If your thinking of banimine(sp) add LA200 or Biomycin. Biomycim for some reason does not sting as LA200 does. This would be a good idea because he could devlope an absess. Absesses left untreated can lame a bull permantly.. This is from experience from a same situation

RR

How long has it been since running off the neighbors bull?

Walt

If he isnt putting any weight at all on it, and doesnt want to stand, then I would get a vet out to take a look.

It has been a week. He got better but I think reinjured it as we have cows in heat. I sould have been clearer he will put weight on it standing but hobbles when walking.

thanks!

You need to put him up and away from other bovine.

We give the bulls around 40 cc of LA200 (not all in the same injection site now) and with some rest they usually get better within 7 - 10 days.

4ugalsranch":v376wk3c said:
He got better but I think reinjured it as we have cows in heat. I sould have been clearer he will put weight on it standing but hobbles when walking.

thanks!

Why would you allow a lame bull to remain with cows in heat? Of course he would re-injure the leg during the course of servicing them. Pen the bull until he recovers, and I would not give ANY medication until I knew what I was dealing with. By it's nature, Banamine carries the potential of making a bad situation worse if you don't know the nature of the injury.

totally agree with Msscamp here.. Keep the bull put up, and see if he recovers. If he seems to get worse, then maybe address the problem with some medication. Most of my cows or bulls that come up lame, usually get better on their own.

Get him in a small area with another cow (not one in heat) and give him good hay and water, let him rest for about 45-60 days and he may get better.

Mine had a bad limp and was dragging his left leg for weeks and I put him in my corral wilth a bred cow for 8 weeks and he seems to have recovered completely.

good luck

I agree... get him away from the cows until you can either 1) let the injury heal, or 2) it doesn't do any better and you have to have a vet check it out.

With a leg injury on a bull, the prognosis is not usually good. Very hard to recover, and breeding cows make it worse. If it's a young bull, you never know, he may recover enough that you can at least get the rest of your cows bred.

Good luck.

You might want to consider that its acidosis. Thats not a diagnosis onn my part just a thought. Very prominant this time of year and it shows up in lame feet. My vet just told me that anything other than penecillin is a waste of time for treating abcessed feet. Try feeding him some TASCO and ZINPRO as well.

Sizmic

C HOLLAND":16wm24j5 said:
Get him in a small area with another cow (not one in heat) and give him good hay and water, let him rest for about 45-60 days and he may get better.

Mine had a bad limp and was dragging his left leg for weeks and I put him in my corral wilth a bred cow for 8 weeks and he seems to have recovered completely.

good luck

Your right on pen him or get hamburger prices, if he is trying to service cows or keep off intruders it won't heal likely. A limping bull at the salebarn is a give away.
C Holland you forgot to tell him to fix his fence, the neighbors bull is coming back unless you heat that fence up hotter than the door knob to hades.

Latest posts