LA-200 turning a dark color?

Help Support CattleToday:

mcoker

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their LA-200 turn dark in color in the bottle? And furthermore had it cause tissue reactions when it was used?

Yes and yes.

As it ages it turns dark. And some animals are much more sensitive to LA-200 than others. In case you're not aware, it's not a good idea to give more than 10 or 15 cc's per injection site.

Thanks! Maybe we just aren't using it up fast enough and it is getting old?! Maybe just get smaller bottles from now on. And yes, we also give no more than 15cc per site. I just thought I started seeing a correlation between using LA that had turned dark and seeing tissue reaction (don't see it so much with normal colored LA) and was wondering if I was onto something. Thanks again for the info!

You're welcome. And you're correct in your assumption, LA200 gets darker as it ages. We've used it well past the exp dates, I just give a little extra. I don't even keep it on hand anymore, seems like I always reached over it to get to the higher powered stuff when it was here so I stopped keeping it around. Best of luck.

cfpinz":1xwt65r6 said:
We've used it well past the exp dates, I just give a little extra.

Maybe not such a good idea. It can cause liver damage when expired, as little as a few months. And more isn't always better. But hey, you can google the effects yourself.

TCTara":168hg4w5 said:
cfpinz":168hg4w5 said:
We've used it well past the exp dates, I just give a little extra.

Maybe not such a good idea. It can cause liver damage when expired, as little as a few months. And more isn't always better. But hey, you can google the effects yourself.

Not going to argue with you on the side effects, just throwing out there what works for us. Not that I think it's a good idea, but we've used it years out of date. A butcher steer that may or may not have liver damage at some point in his life tastes a lot better than one that's six feet under.

Try keeping your opened bottle in the fridge. During calving season, we use 500mL bottles and can keep them from going dark for a while if kept in the fridge.
As soon as it changes colour though, get rid of it. LA 200 is cheap enough to replace.

It's normal for it to become dark after opening and during prolonged storage; I would presume that it's a result of oxidation.
If you read the label directions, it calls for storage at room temperature - not in the fridge; refrigeration probably doesn't hurt it, but it's not in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendation for storage conditions.
If it is 'in date' and has been stored at the appropriate temperature, out of direct sunlight, and has not been contaminated by multiple in-and-outs with dirty needles, it should still be potent and effective(if the organism you're treating is susceptible to it), even if it is dark.
Out of date and dark - or, out-of-date and clear in an unopened bottle - it's probably still effective, but may have lost some potency - but you don't know how much it may have lost; probably better to discard any out-of-date drugs, regardless of how expensive they are, and purchase new. But, I'll be the first to admit that I've used plenty of (reasonably) out-dated drugs - but not on client animals.
Oxytet has a wide margin of safety - I'd much rather 'overdose' than underdose. Certainly has been known to cause some local tissue damage, hence the need to give it subcutaneously, in multiple sites, not more than 10-12 ml per site; I have, on occasion, given it intravenously.

Liver damage? Show me the documentation. Have never seen that in print(except here), or heard it from a reliable source.

LA200 does burn like the dickens. However, BioMycin...the exact same thing does not burn. Infact it is the only thing our vet will use on bulls and it is her prefered choice on cows as well, instead of LA200. It is a little more pricey, but when faced with injecting 80cc into a bull that is fighting and snorting in a chute...I choose the Biomycin hands down.

Oh yeah...overdosing changes the withdrawal times...as per the vet and the pfizer reps when the come to town...and our fedral vet at CFIA

my 1200lb bull calf got hoof rot gave him la200 on a sunday because i couldnt get anything else at the time very little improvement so on thursday gave him exede sat he was back to normal. did a cost comparison if i gave him 2 rounds la200 60cc per time the cost would be 21.60 with 12 injection sites. the exede was 23.00 18cc 2 injection sites lasts 7 days. went even further to figure draxxin about 27.00 11cc 1 injection lasts 14 days. i think im gonna get draxxin or something similar and keep on hand and i think it has around a 2 yr shelf life.

We have had LA200 on hand for years. It turns dark almost black and I always use a new needle, store it per bottle instructions.
It stings like a burn, unfortunitly I got injected with it once so I know from personal experience.
Some years back I contacted the manuf. They said the color change is normal for a open bottle and it didn't affect it's potency.
I have to agree with other posts. I would like to see proof of liver damage.
My vet prescribes doses higher than the bottle instructions. He wouldn't do that if it would affect the animal negatively. If it does some liver damage that's ok with me. Liver regenerates very well. I'd also rather a recovered animal than a dead one.
Just my 2 cents
Double R

I just gave my show heifer 3 cc of a36 cc dose of La 200. She kicked out so I stopped the injection and decided to bring her to the vet. She had a severe reaction within 15 minutes and died from an allergic reaction. The la200 was not past the expiration date. Any idea on what could've happened

I have kept it on hand for years as a go to for foot-rot or assorted foot problems in sheep and cattle. Yes, it turns dark with age, but as long as it was not too far past the expiration date have continued to use it with no harmful effects.
Among sheep producers, a common old wives tale was to mix it with Dr. Taylor's foot rot solution and apply it externally to the foot rot. For this use the darker it was the better it was considered to be. I do not know if that was backed up by science but it did seem to work.

How heavy and age was your heifer? Most allergic reactions to drugs I have seen you would not have time to get them to the Vet. I have known horses to fall dead off the end of the needle with Procaine Penicillin. The oxytet seems to go dark once air gets in after you draw off the first dose. I haven't looked at the label recently but most drugs like that say that any left 30 days after breeching the bottle should be discarded, I know most people hang onto it much longer, I do and get away with it mostly. Even being an antibiotic there are plenty of contaminants that can multiply in there no matter how carefull you are drawing out the dose.
What were you giving the dose for? Could that have contributed to her death especially after a trailer ride to the Vet? Things like pneumonia a trailer ride could tip her over the edge.
If just 3 ml triggered an anaphylactic reaction I would expect her to be dead pretty much on the spot.
Anyhow I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your calf and welcome to CT.

Ken

What were you giving the dose for? Could that have contributed to her death especially after a trailer ride to the Vet? Things like pneumonia a trailer ride could tip her over the edge.
Only other thing that comes to mind is anaplasmosis, where they get fired up and just drop dead. And LA is generally the preferred treatment for anaplas.

@leleux, it would help if you provided additional info. Why were you treating her? Temp? Symptoms? What did your vet say? And welcome to CT!

How heavy and age was your heifer? Most allergic reactions to drugs I have seen you would not have time to get them to the Vet. I have known horses to fall dead off the end of the needle with Procaine Penicillin. The oxytet seems to go dark once air gets in after you draw off the first dose. I haven't looked at the label recently but most drugs like that say that any left 30 days after breeching the bottle should be discarded, I know most people hang onto it much longer, I do and get away with it mostly. Even being an antibiotic there are plenty of contaminants that can multiply in there no matter how carefull you are drawing out the dose.
If just 3 ml triggered an anaphylactic reaction I would expect her to be dead pretty much on the spot.
Anyhow I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your calf and welcome to CT.

Ken
Thanks Ken. She weigh 760# and was 11 months old!!

Latest posts