Kubota RTV VS Polaris Ranger - or other options

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder which one goes the best in muddy areas?

Sure think I would like one of these but the price tag scares me, or old atv is getting rough. Thought I would like the bed and getting on it better.

Well I bought a Jeep Cherokee 1997. (Real Cheap about USD$1800 )
Keeps the rain off my tools and me . The radio plays classical better than any I have had before . Dawg likes it too but its a higher jump to the passenger seat. Electric windows save leaning over to open his window. Still mostly he´s over my side anyway. Won´t go in the back ,too messy with stuff. Full roof rack above holds all the old rolls of barbed wire. Front bull bar holds the spot spray hose .
Pretty happy all round except the battery goes flat real quick with the music playing and the doors open to hear it. All the door lights are on even in the day .

I don't like the Kubota for two reasons. One, the receiver hitch is not 2" so nothing that I have got will fit it (I have a frame that holds a weedwiper, also a tow bar so that I can tow the UTV behind the tractor and baler, also a Warn winch mounted on 2" tubing). I am not going to rebuild all of my stuff just because Kubota is too stupid to put a 2" receiver hitch on it

Two, when that hydro transmission goes out, you are talking big bucks. I don't think CVT's are all that great but a whole lot cheaper and easier to fix.

If you want another perspective ... I bought a Mule in '98. It had 900 hours and died in '05 due to rust cancer. They may be different now, but that one seemed to have no primer or any type of rust prevention. It was fun while it lasted, but I ended up giving that unit to my brother-in-law who built a new bed and rebuilt the transmission. We then bought an RTV900, and oh what a difference. Solid, well built, easy to drive. We now have 1100 hours (now 7.5 yrs old) and all I have done is add fuel and change oil. Really; nothing else. I am now looking to add a 1140 for a new piece of property. These don't do high speed and they don't turn the tires in 4x4 mode on dry dirt, but they are excellent work machines and very dependable and high value over a long period. These are less of a play machine than a work machine, so as long as that is what you are looking for then they should be a good match. If you are petty enough to let a hitch size stop you from buying, then this is not for you. I bought the hitch and put a 2" ball on it and I don't think twice, since I have no interest changing out hitches anyway. I do not use it to tow, but I have impressed my brother-in-law twice (the same BIW): once we were dragging a 1000# trailer through mud that was leaving 8" deep ruts, and once we had 30 50# sacks of ryegrass stacked on the back with 3 people on the seat and 4 grand kids on the seed and heading out to the pasture -- this is not recommended, but I'm still using this tough machine today. I have the "atv" type tires with the higher ply rating, which I would highly recommend unless you are strictly a pavement driver.

That thread was 3 years ago.... I hope they're arent aren't still on the fence about their purchase. ;-)

RancherGuy":205m0qh6 said:
If you want another perspective ... I bought a Mule in '98. It had 900 hours and died in '05 due to rust cancer. They may be different now, but that one seemed to have no primer or any type of rust prevention. It was fun while it lasted, but I ended up giving that unit to my brother-in-law who built a new bed and rebuilt the transmission. We then bought an RTV900, and oh what a difference. Solid, well built, easy to drive. We now have 1100 hours (now 7.5 yrs old) and all I have done is add fuel and change oil. Really; nothing else. I am now looking to add a 1140 for a new piece of property. These don't do high speed and they don't turn the tires in 4x4 mode on dry dirt, but they are excellent work machines and very dependable and high value over a long period. These are less of a play machine than a work machine, so as long as that is what you are looking for then they should be a good match. If you are petty enough to let a hitch size stop you from buying, then this is not for you. I bought the hitch and put a 2" ball on it and I don't think twice, since I have no interest changing out hitches anyway. I do not use it to tow, but I have impressed my brother-in-law twice (the same BIW): once we were dragging a 1000# trailer through mud that was leaving 8" deep ruts, and once we had 30 50# sacks of ryegrass stacked on the back with 3 people on the seat and 4 grand kids on the seed and heading out to the pasture -- this is not recommended, but I'm still using this tough machine today. I have the "atv" type tires with the higher ply rating, which I would highly recommend unless you are strictly a pavement driver.

Brute 23":2b88rt3p said:
That thread was 3 years ago.... I hope they're arent aren't still on the fence about their purchase. ;-)

Yea, I know. Sometimes someone searches for an old posting. :)

Latest posts