Kubota Round Baler Info

Help Support CattleToday:

C-Ranch

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone owns and runs a Kubota round baler? It has been roughly 4 years since they hit the Market but I have yet to see or know anyone who actually owns one. However, I live in big square bale country and as far a I know there is only 6 ranchers (including me) that use round balers in my area. So to even see a new round baler I have to either travel to another state, watch YouTube, or just roll the dice and order in the baler I want, which is what I did in 2012 when I purchased my current NH. This fall I'm looking to upgrade, so have been calling around to my local dealers and Kubota seems to have the best offer on a new one and will give me more $$ for my NH than anyone else. I am not worried about dealer support because regardless of color, nobody stocks parts, or has a clue when it comes to servicing a round baler. However, they are all eager to order one in..LoL go figure. So, since the Kubota dealer seems to be the best deal, and the fact I have purchased 2 tractors from him, I am curious how the Kubota balers make a bale and how they hold up. I realize they are a re-baged Vicon baler, but have never seen one of those either except the sales pitches on YouTube. So if you own one please let me know your thoughts, good, bad, and ugly. I think all colors are probably pretty good these day, however I will be doing my on wrenching so don't want one that is super complicated to work on.

They are a copy of the baler made by Gallignani and are very pricey. I have seen a couple around here at work and just from my observations they make a nice bale, but the center is soft out pretty big (not as big as a fixed chamber baler, but more than most.) I think they start at like $38K as there are a lot better options IMO for less.

This is what I mean by center of bale looking soft as I can tell one of the Kubota bales every time I see one from looking at the core. A lot of times it will almost be star shaped in the center....

9m2R9BQ.jpg

Thanks for the info I will look up Gallignani and see what I can learn. You are correct they are pricey, but my quote for the Kubota was 6500 less than JD's 569 which is what I started looking at first.

C-Ranch said:
Thanks for the info I will look up Gallignani and see what I can learn. You are correct they are pricey, but my quote for the Kubota was 6500 less than JD's 569 which is what I started looking at first.

Like comparing Honda(Kub) to Mercedes(Deere)

You pay for that green paint.....kinda tickles me to listen to people that have bought those big box store JD lawn tractors....take the green paint off and no better that a Yardman.....

I think That the balers you have to install net in the front and high would be a pain. I struggle with the net on the Vermeer with the net in the back. I have to use the loader to get it in place. I know I have gotten weaker that a popcorn toot.

jltrent said:
You pay for that green paint.....kinda tickles me to listen to people that have bought those big box store JD lawn tractors....take the green paint off and no better that a Yardman.....

those are a far cry from a real JD lawn mower like an X series

JMJ Farms said:
C-Ranch said:

Like comparing Honda(Kub) to Mercedes(Deere)

The Deere is closer to being an AMC Gremlin

I like the looks of Vermeer as well. My neighbor run a Vermeer, not sure what model, but he switched from JD 6 years ago and said he never go back. I am planning a trip this fall to go have a look at one at the dealer that is nearest me. JD may be a good baler, but the dealer has a lot to desired, even they guys that run green tractors etc, say they would never go back and use independent diesel mechanics to work on their equipment.

Is the Vermeer the only round baler with a camless pickup? This design seems like a lot less maintenance..IMOP

C-Ranch said:
Is the Vermeer the only round baler with a camless pickup? This design seems like a lot less maintenance..IMOP

I might be wrong but I think the NH Roll Belt specialty crop balers also have rubber mounted teeth and no cams on a 5 bar pickup

Edited to add: My Vermeer 605N has 11,000 bales on it and all of it's original pickup teeth. Now I've probably jinxed myself.

We used to run a 5x6 vicon baler can't remember the number it was back in the mid to early 90's , it was not a variable core as stated earlier and didn't like hay that had any moisture and I mean a light dew. I would never recommend or buy one again based on how much I disliked that one. I own Deere currently,but I like Vermeer and mchale is probably the best of them all.

Silver said:
C-Ranch said:

I might be wrong but I think the NH Roll Belt specialty crop balers also have rubber mounted teeth and no cams on a 5 bar pickup

Edited to add: My Vermeer 605N has 11,000 bales on it and all of it's original pickup teeth. Now I've probably jinxed myself.

My hay man and fishing partner runs two commercial Vermeer. He says at 15k bales is when all his troubles start.
He repairs them by running a new baler under them.

Caustic Burno said:
Silver said:
C-Ranch said:

My hay man and fishing partner runs two commercial Vermeer. He says at 15k bales is when all his troubles start.
He repairs them by running a new baler under them.

Sounds about right for any brand of baler in my experience. There are only so many bearing manufacturers.

In close to 20k bales combined on my last 2 NH balers I never once replaced a cam or cam track in the pickup. We have no sandy soils and I leave lots of stubble, so there isn't the grit to wear things out.

I've heard of guys with every color baler in sandy dusty gritty conditions that have troubles with the cammed pickups frequently.

Silver said:
C-Ranch said:

Sounds like a solid baler. Does yours have the camless pickup or is prior to that change? I have about 10,000 through my NH and just had to change out about 15 pickup teeth. I've also had to change 1 belt, and 1 drive chain, so compared to a square baler it is a lot less maintenance. I have considered staying with NH, but I hear a lot of guys say JD or Vermeer will make a better bale. Not sure what to do, sure wish I had dealers that stocked them a lot closer. I guess it will give me an excuse to go on a couple small trips this fall. Always wanted to hit the Big Iron show and see what vendors are there. I here it's quite the venue.

CreekAngus said:
What about Kuhn, out here in the far west a lot of guys bale with the Kuhns and McHale.
I actually forgot Kuhn built round balers, which is funny because I bought an SR112 Speed Rake 3 years ago to replace an old sidebar rake and have really liked it. However, it was a JD dealer and they stopped carrying the Kuhn brand. I will have to lookup the closet dealer, thanks for jogging my brain.. :dunce:

C-Ranch said:
Silver said:
C-Ranch said:

Sounds like a solid baler. Does yours have the camless pickup or is prior to that change? I have about 10,000 through my NH and just had to change out about 15 pickup teeth. I've also had to change 1 belt, and 1 drive chain, so compared to a square baler it is a lot less maintenance. I have considered staying with NH, but I hear a lot of guys say JD or Vermeer will make a better bale. Not sure what to do, sure wish I had dealers that stocked them a lot closer. I guess it will give me an excuse to go on a couple small trips this fall. Always wanted to hit the Big Iron show and see what vendors are there. I here it's quite the venue.

Y'know, I don't know if my pickup has cams or not lol. I've never had reason to touch it. I did do my first bearing the other day, one of the top rollers and it wasn't an easy job but managed to get it done. Luckily didn't burn it down but it was nip and tuck for a minute or two.
I've been looking at the NH 560 specialty crop baler and it looks really good in my opinion. But I would want the hydraulic bale ramp and the ISOBUS monitor and that adds big bucks to the equation.

Latest posts