Kubota M8540

Help Support CattleToday:

eret311

Reaction score
Whats everyones thoughts on the M8540. Im looking to buy the 8540 4WD cab to use on my cattle farm. Mainly used for bailing hay, notill ryegrass, and haying cattle. Only other option is the M7040.
Any negative thoughts on this machine?

Thanks

I'm using a 7040. Good little tractor just don't think I'd want anything smaller.

fitz

I had a 9540 . Switched to new holland 5060 . The new holland weighs about 8500 pounds more than the 9540 . It sure makes a big difference pulling a disc or bailing hay . Make sure you get shuttle shift which ever tractor you decide on .

You don't want the 7040 it has a smaller engine. The fellers came through mowing the powerline right of way and they had 9540 Kubota's for the light stuff. Said they were prety good tractors. Bailing hay is a little ruff with a light tractor.

Neighbor has one that his grandson has worked hard and abused in my opinion with no problems. I think it only has 500 or 600 hours. I have a 7040 with 700+ hours with no major issues.

We are running a 7040 and haven't had a single probably. We work in the hay fields and feed the cows with it. Also do a little bulldozer work with it. :)

I looked at the M8540 a few years ago when I bought my new tractor. I purchased a John Deere 5093E instead. I felt like the JD gave you more for the money. I've never regretted my decesion.

I have a M108 dt it is 3 yrs old just got out of shop today if they deside it is dirty fuel will cost $4422.00 for 2 injectors. This is my 2nd new kubota and the last. They are light and seem to be hobby farmer tractors. This tractor is so light in the rear with all the weight was allowed to but on it and keep the worrenty will take the rear off the ground loading round bales. i have an older JD 72 hp will do more than this 108 hp.

hillrancher":h96xvvf3 said:
I have a M108 dt it is 3 yrs old just got out of shop today if they deside it is dirty fuel will cost $4422.00 for 2 injectors. This is my 2nd new kubota and the last. They are light and seem to be hobby farmer tractors. This tractor is so light in the rear with all the weight was allowed to but on it and keep the worrenty will take the rear off the ground loading round bales. i have an older JD 72 hp will do more than this 108 hp.
so sorry to hear that you are having probs with your kub.yes the tractors are built alot lighter than the others.the best way to add weight to them is either front weights or a frontend loader.the M8540s are real good tractors.but i think id step up to a M9540 theres not much price diff between the 2.i have 2010 MX5100 HST 4x4 loader.an i wouldnt trade it for the world.my buddy has a 2010 M7040 HDC 4x4 with loader.an if i was buying again id step up to the 8540 hdc 4x4 w/loader an cab.

Thanks for the input. There not much price diff in the 7040 to 8540 to 9540. 8540 and 9540 are the same tractor/motor just more fuel and tire.
I really beleive the M8540 Cab 4x4 FEL with hydroshuttle is all the pocketbook can stand and will be the best tractor for my set up at this time.

Any thoughts on hydrolic shuttle vs sync shuttle? Only about 1,300 difference in the price.

Go with the hydro. I had the other and like to have yanked the tongue off my bailer . With the hydro you don't have to use the clutch .

as said go with the hydrolic shuttle.for what in know about its easier on your clutch knee an leg.

bigbull338":tj2b9qje said:
hillrancher":tj2b9qje said:
so sorry to hear that you are having probs with your kub.yes the tractors are built alot lighter than the others.the best way to add weight to them is either front weights or a frontend loader.the M8540s are real good tractors.but i think id step up to a M9540 theres not much price diff between the 2.i have 2010 MX5100 HST 4x4 loader.an i wouldnt trade it for the world.my buddy has a 2010 M7040 HDC 4x4 with loader.an if i was buying again id step up to the 8540 hdc 4x4 w/loader an cab.
BB read the highlighted parts
You are always telling folks to add a front end loader to add weight to the back end
I have never understood how adding a loader will keep the back end on the ground could you explain it a little more please

ok ill go over this,people are always saying how light botas are.an thats right you put a loader on them for weight on the front.an if you want or need weight using the loader then you put weight on the rear of the tractor.example im not going to pick up a 5 by 6 bale on the loader w/o 1 of the rear 1st.but ill pick up 4 by 5 or 4 by 6 w/o anything on the rear.

People keep saying that the Kubotas are too light. I just unloaded a load of 5X6 tight bales I bought for the drought and did not have an ounce of trouble with my M9540. I do have water in the rear tires. I've pulled my 8' disc and my 6X4 baler (back when it rained) and have no problems with traction or pull. The modern compact tractors are all lighter than the old iron but for my use the Kubota handles everything that I do.

If I'm not mistaken the kubota m 9540 I bought in 2010 was around 8500 pounds with the loader my new holland 5060 is over 15000 pounds . Believe me it makes a difference . I can pull a 20 foot jd disc my kubota would just spin the tires .

If your pulling a 20 foot disc, then you need a heavy ground engagement type tractor. As for as doing just normal type ranch work around moderate size places, my Kubota does it all very well. My older heavier Ford 7740 did not do anything here that my M9540 does not do just as well.

I'm not saying its not a good tractor . Just that a heavier tractor handles the loads and rides much smoother than the light tractors . TO each his own . I was just speaking from experience having owned both tractors .

Latest posts