Kubota fuel filter

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I own a 2004 Kubota MX5000/FEL. It is one tough little tractor and works very well for my needs. I do have one issue with the fuel filter cannister, you have to remove the fuel bowl to drain off the water which is a PIA for me. Has anyone modified their's with a drainable bowl. If so will you tell me where you bought the proper drainable fuel bowl.
Thank you, Kerley

I'm really not sure what the fuel filter setup is on my M126GX :oops: but I don't think it has a drain either. I had the co-op guys change the filter last year while I had the tractor in their shop for a tire repair.

What concerns me is where is the water coming from? Is it coming from your fuel supply tank, or somehow the tractor fuel tank gets contaminated after you fuel up?

My Ford tractors have what I call "sandwich" filters on them with a bowl on the bottom of the filters with a drain in each. I don't use the drains because I'm afraid I'll break them, but I look for water when I change filters and don't see any with the naked eye.

I have spin-on particulate filters with drains in the filters on both my bulk tank and pickup tank. Also have a drain in the bottom of the bulk tank lower than the valve outlet. I drain some fuel off the filters every so often but don't notice any water in it.

I have good intentions of changing the bulk and portable tank filters annually, but sometimes that goes to 2-3 yrs. I aim to change tractor filters every 2 yrs. I seldom put 100 hrs/yr on any tractor.

John SD":1nye36va said:
I'm really not sure what the fuel filter setup is on my M126GX :oops: but I don't think it has a drain either. I had the co-op guys change the filter last year while I had the tractor in their shop for a tire repair.

What concerns me is where is the water coming from? Is it coming from your fuel supply tank, or somehow the tractor fuel tank gets contaminated after you fuel up?

My Ford tractors have what I call "sandwich" filters on them with a bowl on the bottom of the filters with a drain in each. I don't use the drains because I'm afraid I'll break them, but I look for water when I change filters and don't see any with the naked eye.

I have spin-on particulate filters with drains in the filters on both my bulk tank and pickup tank. Also have a drain in the bottom of the bulk tank lower than the valve outlet. I drain some fuel off the filters every so often but don't notice any water in it.

I have good intentions of changing the bulk and portable tank filters annually, but sometimes that goes to 2-3 yrs. I aim to change tractor filters every 2 yrs. I seldom put 100 hrs/yr on any tractor.
I don't use enough diesel to require my own storage tank. There is a fuel station half mile from home so I either drive there to fill up or fill my five gal cans. The problem is the station runs their tanks dry before refilling them and thats when we get dirty fuel, apparently they have a poor filter design on their tanks. Im going to have to pull the fuel tank and clean it out which is a PITA. I plan to install a fuel/water separator aswell.

I have good intentions of changing the bulk and portable tank filters annually, but sometimes that goes to 2-3 yrs. I aim to change tractor filters every 2 yrs. I seldom put 100 hrs/yr on any tractor.[/quote]I don't use enough diesel to require my own storage tank. There is a fuel station half mile from home so I either drive there to fill up or fill my five gal cans. The problem is the station runs their tanks dry before refilling them and thats when we get dirty fuel, apparently they have a poor filter design on their tanks. Im going to have to pull the fuel tank and clean it out which is a PITA. I plan to install a fuel/water separator aswell.[/quote]

Kerley
Hope you don't intend to continue buying fuel there.

John SD":3if1nl1r said:

kerley":3if1nl1r said:
I don't use enough diesel to require my own storage tank. There is a fuel station half mile from home so I either drive there to fill up or fill my five gal cans. The problem is the station runs their tanks dry before refilling them and thats when we get dirty fuel, apparently they have a poor filter design on their tanks. Im going to have to pull the fuel tank and clean it out which is a PITA. I plan to install a fuel/water separator aswell.

Kerley

bbirder":3if1nl1r said:

+1. Sounds like the fuel source is the main problem :idea:

I despise hauling fuel in 5 gal cans :yuck: Can't buy a decent fuel can anymore. And the cans themselves are a possible source of water contamination if they don't seal properly or left outside :devil2: Perhaps a small (50-75 gallon) transfer tank with a good filter on it filled from a different source would be a possible solution :?:

John SD":2c3bvj22 said:
John SD, In eleven years I put less than nine hundred hrs. on my Kubota and I always change the fuel filter with the oil change.

kerley":2c3bvj22 said:

Kerley
I removed the old filter and the fuel flowed very lean and yellowish in color from the tank, so I let it flow until it appeared to be clean. Then I reattached the hose to the fuel filter housing and installed the new fuel filter and she ran like new. I continued mowing my driveway [one mile round trip] and It stalled again. Tomorrow when it is cool I will re do the procedure and remove the fuel tank and clean it out before reinstallation. So what is the best way to clean them out?

bbirder":2c3bvj22 said:
bbirder, I will start buying fuel at the large truck stop in town where the long haulers fill up.

+1. Sounds like the fuel source is the main problem :idea

I despise hauling fuel in 5 gal cans :yuck: Can't buy a decent fuel can anymore. And the cans themselves are a possible source of water contamination if they don't seal properly or left outside :devil2: Perhaps a small (50-75 gallon) transfer tank with a good filter on it filled from a different source would be a possible solution :?:

kerley":2c3bvj22 said:

Kerley

bbirder":2c3bvj22 said:

John SD":2g8s8t0m said:
John SD":2g8s8t0m said:

kerley":2g8s8t0m said:

Kerley

bbirder":2g8s8t0m said:

41yaJyLcGYL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Deluxe- ... n+5+gallon

They sell these at the farm & parts store near me.

HDRider":2ybmwyrz said:
John SD":2ybmwyrz said:
John SD":2ybmwyrz said:

kerley":2ybmwyrz said:

Kerley
Thank you everyone.

bbirder":2ybmwyrz said:

41yaJyLcGYL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/VP-Gallon-Deluxe- ... n+5+gallon

They sell these at the farm & parts store near me.
Thank you they may work

This morning I removed the fuel filter housing, much more simple than appeared, only two short bolts and three small fuel hoses and took less than ten minutes. I clearly saw that there was no fuel flowing from the gravity fed fuel hose. I will take the filter cannister off the filter housing and clean with carb choke cleaner, blow out the ports with air, reassemble and reinstall. Tomorrow I will have to remove the hood to get to the fuel tank which must be filthy.

What do you folks use to clean your dirty plastic fuel tanks? I plan to boil water and pour it in and shake it and do so till it is clean. How would you clean your fuel tank?
Suggestions requested, Thank you, Kerley

I use Dawn and Black max degreaser. Most of the time the trash will be in a elbow. Blow all the lines out good, including your tank vent.

Im back, hope you folks are not tired of my thread, it's really pretty simple to figure out basic Diesel but I try to cover all the bases and do it right the first time. The hardest part of this mess is that I'am broke down in the road way in the hot sun with no way to turn around to tow to the house.
I cleaned the filter housing with Carb Cleaner and blew air through the housing to be sure it was not plugged and added a new FF and installed to tractor, blew out the fuel line to the fuel tank and the fuel flowed freely. I want to start up and move to my yard where I have shade. I believe that when I removed the ff and housing the lines between the ff and injectors filled with air and now require priming to start,I guess I will have to crack loose the injection lines at the head like on a Dodge with Cummins. Also The hood can not be removed to gain access to the fuel tank with the FEL attached but that's no big deal. I am sure glad that I don't have my Tractor in Kubota shop at $100.00 per hr. AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK?
Kerley

Kerley, Not at my reference material but try this. first bleed the filter housing. Should be a screw on top until all bubbles stop. Next if that injection pump is not self bleeding it should have a screw with locknut to bleed it. Might be painted with a yellow dot. Bleed that down until all bubbles stop. Next to your lines at the injectors. They should be bled by cracking them and cranking til they are clear. Sometimes you can bleed just some of them and it will start .If it does the others will pump air thru and clear up. Hope that helps. Follow the path. An air bubble will stop progress!

Okay here we go.. I had air in my injector lines but I did not have the proper 17mm tube wrench to crack them open, they are manufactured close together and a regular open end wrench will not fit. My Daughter was in town so she bought one for me at Auto Zone which was 17mm but cast to large to slide down between the injectors. It did fit one end injector. I cranked and it fired off, ran rough then started purring but was leaking a small amount of Diesel, no big deal. I moved the Kubota up the hill by my house so Tomorrow morning I will drop the FEL remove the hood and get busy.

Un attached the FEL, piece of cake took fifteen minutes total. I removed the hood, very easy but re install won't be so easy. Finally have access to the fuel tank, must remove several small bolts then lift tank straight up. I can hardly describe how filthy the area around the tank is, Grease and Diesel, even bird nests between the fuel tank and firewall, mixed with dust equals a nasty mess. Needs pressure washing before re assemble but all doable in time.

Latest posts