Know anything about Black Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hello all,

I am a new black hereford breeder and would like to answer some of the questions/statements made here.

Why Black Herefords?
For me, I have ran pinzgaur, shorthorn, angus, beefmaster, and limosin cattle. No matter what I run through the sale ring, if it is a black baldy it brings more money, period. If you can set your prices or have a value added program, then more power to you. But for the majority of small breeders of cattle, you have to take whatever they will give you at the sale barn. You can not beat a black baldy calf.

How does it work?
I bought two bulls in Kansas from the "home ranch" of the association. I have purchased registered Hereford cattle from local breeders. I will eventually breed up my bulls to be homo black (meaning they have two black genes and will only produce black calves). Eventually, I will have purebred hereford bulls that always produce black calves.

For all of you die hard hereford and angus breeders...
Cattle ranching is a business. The majority of my neighbors have black hided herds because for years they were paid more for black calves. I personally lost .20 and .30 cents a pound for years with cows that had too much color and too much ear. Our commercial cows are primarily beefmaster and brangus. They are mostly black and some solid red after years of culling for the best cows. They are the best mother cows for our situation/conditions. If I can throw a bull on them that gives me black baldy calves, I can get the best of both worlds (hardy mamas - high calf prices).

The Black hereford breed is very young. They are percentage hereford animals. It will take time to build up a genetic base. People can blow off the breed all they want. But my neighbor just drove 500 miles one way to buy two weanling bulls for $1800 each to use on his commercial herd. He is not a breeder. He just wants to make money. The market has set the ideal as a black baldy. Black herefords are the fastest way to get there.

blackhereford":1lk6j4ay said:
. They are percentage hereford animals.

Yes, percentage Herefords with black hides, NOT black Herefords.

BTW, have a neighbor who has 2 of what would pass for so-called black Herefords (the coat pattern) that are in fact part Holstein part Hereford. Are those considered black Herefords too? :roll:

Katherine

blackhereford":3b77muo3 said:
I will eventually breed up my bulls to be homo black (meaning they have two black genes and will only produce black calves). Eventually, I will have purebred hereford bulls that always produce black calves.

Hey I love black baldies probably more than most, below is a recent heifer that we had, but in my opinion you cannot "breed up" bulls to be purebred herefords. The moment you cross that hereford and produce something that's less than 100% hereford, you can never get the purebred hereford back, period. Why even try??? Black baldies are a good thing, why try to call them black herefords?
blackbaldy.jpg

cypressfarms":vqdw0uk1 said:
blackhereford":vqdw0uk1 said:
I will eventually breed up my bulls to be homo black (meaning they have two black genes and will only produce black calves). Eventually, I will have purebred hereford bulls that always produce black calves.

Hey I love black baldies probably more than most, below is a recent heifer that we had, but in my opinion you cannot "breed up" bulls to be purebred herefords. The moment you cross that hereford and produce something that's less than 100% hereford, you can never get the purebred hereford back, period. Why even try??? Black baldies are a good thing, why try to call them black herefords?

Beacuse someone can make a buck and Barnum was right!