Know anything about Black Herefords?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Hi all,
Do y'all here have any experience with the Black Hereford breed? I'm not joking. They ARE a real breed. If you could answer any of my questions, that would certainly be appreciated.
#1. What size are they frame wise?
#2. Do they have good maternal traits?
#3. Do they feed good?
#4. DO you have any good/bad experiences with them?
Thanks for the help. :cowboy:
P.S. Their website is http://www.blackherefords.com

Around these parts we always called them Black Baldies. We had a couple, good docile cows mid sized frame usually.

SFFarms":386dwc9d said:
Around these parts we always called them Black Baldies. We had a couple, good docile cows mid sized frame usually.

When you breed all of the heterosis out of them, you have a black Hereford

Just a dairy cow and a herf combination that will never be recognized by the Canadian, American, British or World Herf Associations / Societies. Or any other legiimate Herf organization for that matter. Never. Ever.

A cow that is bred up is not repeat not recognized by a legitimate Herf organization. Period.

Black Herf folks just made up their own registry through some legal representatives / organizations and faked it to make it look good.

Did not even have the balls to call it something else. Had to try and drag a good breed down to their level.

Thieves and muggers.

:D :D :D

Another mutt grabbing on to the black is beautiful train - heck you can probably even get them to qualify for CAB if you disguise them a little bit.

:D :D :D

No matter what their background is they will succeed through skillfully sowing lies and telling them often enough - then as Goebbels once said - tell a big lie and tell it often enough - because folks will begin to believe it.

Chicanery all round.

Cheers

Bez+

dun":2uiqx5lv said:
SFFarms":2uiqx5lv said:

When you breed all of the heterosis out of them, you have a black Hereford

Nope then you have a black cow with hereford markings.

Bez+":1metacpl said:
A cow that is bred up is not repeat not recognized by a legitimate Herf organization. Period.

I had to laugh at your statement!

My bet is that any Black Hereford that is "bred up" to where it contains 3/4 and 7/8 Hereford blood has as much Hereford blood in its veins as some noteworthy Hereford sires of the past, including a former Denver champion.

George

After viewing some of the websites that are on the black hereford site I think that they have a L-O-N-G way to go before they even reach the standards of most of the hereford bulls that are posted on here.

ALACOWMAN":c3v1z5lb said:
blackcowz":c3v1z5lb said:
So I guess I should ask. Is them thar Black Herfs a true breed or are they not?
yep... they got the papers too prove it.

I think Beefy has papers on Demetrius too!

blackcowz":36ainzqo said:
So I guess I should ask. Is them thar Black Herfs a true breed or are they not?

It depends on how you define "true breed." Angus and Herefords are about the only breeds that don't allow breeding up. Simmental got black by adding Angus. Gelbvieh got black by adding Angus. Limousin got black by adding Angus. Why should Black Herefords be any different? These folks started their own breed association, like the Murray Grey Intl people, like one of the Beefmaster associations. So if the test for "true breed" is have their own association to insure the cattle meet their breed standards, yes, this is a true breed.

I tried to find some standards. I did find a pic. http://www.blackherefords.com/black_hereford_history/ ,which led to believe their standards are not very high, except for maybe color. Here are the only standards listed;
Selections were made for milk, pelvic size and low birth weights.
When ones main focus is on color I can see how a lot of good genetics could be left behind.

OK, so I think I get the point. They're bred up from Herefords. Wow. It makes a body sure think hard about what is really a true breed and what ain't. Are black Simmentals really Simmentals? Or are they crossbreds??????? Should Lim-Flexes be identified as a breed or just a neat name to slap on a hybrid? I am interested to have everyone's take. Perhaps, if we can do it without dissing too many breeds? :nod: I am interested in a future of Beef Genetics, so any help here is greatly appreciated. :D

ALACOWMAN":1hpjxllx said:
what id like to know is will they always stay a purebred... won't they turned red it they reach a fullblood status ;-)

Based on the terminology of purebred and fullblood, they will never be fullblood. Fullblood is 100% purebred can never get past the 99.99999999999999999999999999999% range. May need another copule of 100 9s to make it accurate. As long as there is a black gene there is alwasy a 50:50 chance of a black calf when bred to a red.

Latest posts