King Ten 8198

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not convinced the none-certificate deal is better. Most of the bulls on that program I've seen cost enough that when you figure in your average conception rate it's not that good a deal.

What is needed is non-cert sires with semen priced at $20-$25 per unit. I am not saying that from a selfish point of view but that is the only way we are going to see widespread AI use like the Angus breed has. Not that everything Angus does is great or the best but the way semen and certs are priced now is holding back more widespread AI use.

Ned Jr.":2x67f82f said:
I'm not convinced the none-certificate deal is better. Most of the bulls on that program I've seen cost enough that when you figure in your average conception rate it's not that good a deal.

Yeah, and I'm betting that Jack Holden (and his partners) would see their semen sales increase more than ten-fold if they would reduce that price to $25-$30 w/o certs. I'm sure Jack wants to continue selling some of his bulls for $25,000 or more - and that higher semen price adds justification to buying a live walking around bull.

But change is coming! It's too bad that it is the big semen companies that are going to lead in that change rather than some prominent Hereford breeders.

George

I'm sure that is exactly why he had to buy 4140P back at the Schock sale. Too many units of semen went with the bull. Somebody could have bought the bull for the 5k+ that he sold for and come out ahead on semen alone at the current $65 per unit price. He was protecting his market. Didn't want someone underselling those units on him.

Semen should be priced to where a commercial outfit can use it because that's the arena where a bulls ultimate worth will be determined. I can't wait to get my Lad 20P semen back from Genex and get it to work making baldies.

WichitaLineMan":14isf1pc said:
I'm sure that is exactly why he had to buy 4140P back at the Schock sale. Too many units of semen went with the bull. Somebody could have bought the bull for the 5k+ that he sold for and come out ahead on semen alone at the current $65 per unit price. He was protecting his market. Didn't want someone underselling those units on him.

I don't think he bought 4140 he went to Colo or Kansas. Besides the bulls mother leaves some to be desired

You are right. I just looked at the AHA site and it gives a breeder in Colorado as the sole owner. I spoke with a gentleman that was at the sale in Sherman (in fact he bought a bull there) and he told me that Jack bought 4140 bull and the 0024K female. I guess he was flat wrong. Unless he was buying for the guy in Colorado on order.

I wasn't sure on that, I was gonna look it up but ya beat me to it. Who bought 4140s mother, I think she sold there

stockman12":3gm60oy7 said:
Besides the bulls mother leaves some to be desired

I'm curious where you find fault with 4140P's dam. I've never been a fan of 4140P but I really like Jim Coley's 7026T bull out of her. I think 7026T was THE TOP of the Holden bulls born in 2007.

George

4140s dam has udder problems in my opinion. look at Schock video sale catalog of her. There was even someone on here than condemned daughter of his udders

stockman12":29ga6z8b said:
4140s dam has udder problems in my opinion. look at Schock video sale catalog of her. There was even someone on here than condemned daughter of his udders

Yeah, I had seen that video before but I sure hadn't associated it with being that cow, since I wasn't interested in any of the straight Line 1s in Schock's sale. Watching that video will change your mind quickly!

Thanks for your reply!

George

somebody post a link to that video, please.

Thanks.

That is a terrible photoshop. Who did it the people who's site it is or were they using photo stock that had been photo shopped.

That's right up there with selling semen on the bad eyed bull. WE HAVE TO PUT THESE DEMONS BEHIND US. The big boys should be helping the cause not propagating the problem.

THE BIG THREE DEMONS:

Bad Eyes
Bad Udders
Prolapses

That's right up there with selling semen on the bad eyed bull. WE HAVE TO PUT THESE DEMONS BEHIND US. The big boys should be helping the cause not propagating the problem.

THE BIG THREE DEMONS:

Bad Eyes
Bad Udders
Prolapses

I tell ya how to fix these problems! Breed to 8198! haha

Latest posts