King Ten 8198

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":1ccjl899 said:
WichitaLineMan":1ccjl899 said:

Monte addressed it to the crowd - mastitis given as the cause.....didn't seem to slow down some people. :?

Star Lake had a whale of a sale!

George

You're just looking at it the wrong way, it's the recip's that have to milk, donors only need to raise a couple of natural calves, who cares if they milk, or hold up. :roll:

I too was impressed, but not surprised that people would still pay that kind of money for a cow with terrible connection and only two functioning quarters. I don't really care what kind of calf she raises, that kind of stuff is highly heritable.

Baldie Maker":1cssso18 said:
I too was impressed, but not surprised that people would still pay that kind of money for a cow with terrible connection and only two functioning quarters. I don't really care what kind of calf she raises, that kind of stuff is highly heritable.

I WAS surprised! I might see paying $1000 for her to get a couple natural calves and see how they turned out. But I sure wouldn't speculate by keeping that cow a donor cow. Too much investment there with too high a probability of disappointment for me.

George

Northern Rancher":31ozxtlq said:
Why would someone flush a cow that most good commercial guys would cull.

NR I wonder the same thing.. I understand Star lake is in the business of producing ggps (great grand parents) and have established quite the name.. but I couldn't sleep at night if i bought that cow and sold her offspring and said that their udder would hold up until their teeth fell out. JMHO tho, that being said I saw many lots that I would have loved to have, the gerber cow being one.

Herefords.US":ahh66bae said:
Baldie Maker":ahh66bae said:

I WAS surprised! I might see paying $1000 for her to get a couple natural calves and see how they turned out. But I sure wouldn't speculate by keeping that cow a donor cow. Too much investment there with too high a probability of disappointment for me.

George

You know you have to fault Star Lake some for not culling the cow in the first place, but whats really sad to me is there's breeders out there willing to bid on her. What should have happened is there shouldn't have been any bids on her, it would have sent the message that as Hereford breeders were not going to accept broken down or poor uddered cows as breeding stock no matter who's selling them. The example set for the kids there is terrible, if Star Lake can keep and or sell bad uddered cows, why can't we. It will be interesting to see how the new owners market her calves.

People can wax poetic about how great SLR is but to me selling a cow like that is raising a GIANT RED FLAG as to their program. The cow should have been culled. PERIOD. There is no excuse for selling her for breeding stock much less as a donor (to multiply those wonderful traits throughout the breed).

The same with the photoshop someone posted on the cow's udder that was bought at Schocks or Schafers (whatever it is now).

Stuff like that is what continues to haunt this breed. (MInd you the examples here should not be tolerated in ANY BREED by any honest BREEDER).

rocket2222":1oobb6ps said:
Herefords.US":1oobb6ps said:
Baldie Maker":1oobb6ps said:

George

You know you have to fault Star Lake some for not culling the cow in the first place, but whats really sad to me is there's breeders out there willing to bid on her. What should have happened is there shouldn't have been any bids on her, it would have sent the message that as Hereford breeders were not going to accept broken down or poor uddered cows as breeding stock no matter who's selling them. The example set for the kids there is terrible, if Star Lake can keep and or sell bad uddered cows, why can't we. It will be interesting to see how the new owners market her calves.

I think the star lake name goes along way, and we all know that's why she sold. I don't like to bash programs, especially not one of that caliber; but I do believe that this breed has enough issues already and our elite seed-stock producers shouldn't be promoting them, I simply believe they cashed her out. What are your alls thoughts on the glitter cow? How much do you think she weighed? She looked HUGE on my TV.

A program that sells cows like that is of the smallest calibre!!!! I don't judge outfits on the quality of cattle it produces not on the amount of money tricked out of people.

Northern Rancher":1v9vtgnp said:
A program that sells cows like that is of the smallest calibre!!!! I don't judge outfits on the quality of cattle it produces not on the amount of money tricked out of people.

true statement

Latest posts