Anyone use Ten X? Thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a few bred to him, we'll see this spring how the calves turn out. I don't use a lot of accel, but the rep said if I were to use only 1, ten x would be the one. We'll see....
Jenna

I think it was Oldtimer on here that had some Ten X calves.
Those epd weaning and yearling weights are something.

fitz

I have a spring heifer out of him and a average type cow I think he improved her, I used him on several heifers this fall I know theres some upward daughters stuck to him really looking forward to those, His numbers are good all the way through with high accuracy. I think hes the real deal, time will tell.

Oh, I see the Accelerated spring catalog came today, ten x is up to 40$/unit now, HE MUST BE GOOD :) I did buy a few straws last fall, 30$ I think then.
Jenna

He went to $40 because he hadn't been producing for a while, in my opinion. Calves are decent here but nothing to really brag about yet, all went to Iowa for feedout. I really do not see how his $B can hold up that much because there hasn't been any actual carcass data entered yet. The mature height and weight don't add up to that much carcass weight which is a major driver of the $B. I like a lot of things about that bull but not everything.

Sizmic

sizmic":2yuhuqsq said:
He went to $40 because he hadn't been producing for a while, in my opinion. Calves are decent here but nothing to really brag about yet, all went to Iowa for feedout. I really do not see how his $B can hold up that much because there hasn't been any actual carcass data entered yet. The mature height and weight don't add up to that much carcass weight which is a major driver of the $B. I like a lot of things about that bull but not everything.

Sizmic
The reason I asked is the few photos I have seen of him aren't all that impressive. I can't find any videos. I have seen sons that I thought looked better than him, but with ought at least a video I just don't know. I have however seen some impressive daughters.

he seems average to me , maybe a little flat sided , seems the higher the $beef values , the less muscluar the bull ususally is , I for one must see a thick rump on a bull for him to intrest me .I like the EXAR Totally Tuned bull, now he is a power house angus bull. he can be seen on youtube

I agree that ten x doesn't look the greatest. But I have seen bulls that looked really great and then the offspring didn't. And I've seen bulls that didn't look that great but the offspring outdid the sire. Always nice to look at as many offspring as you can before committing to a bull. Not always easily done though.

We've used him in a couple of flushes and AI'ed pretty heavy with him. We have a group of yearling bulls and heifers out of a flush with him and are very pleased with them. Maybe a touch short but we flushed him to a smaller cow. Really good thickness and length and the females are very feminine. Overall very please across the board.

I know someone who used him and has had some big calves, lost at least one. It was a hard pull.

I looked at using this bull earlier in the year but decided to breed to Final Answer instead.
I'm a small operator so I pick one bull a year to breed my cows to that I think will help them a all in some way. I too was impressed with his numbers but not much with his looks. If his numbers and accuracies stay where they are I will most likely use him next year. I'll have a close eye out in the upcoming sales for his progeny so I can see real world results.

Kyle

Unless you're trying to infuse his carcass numbers I don't see much reason to use him. The bulls I have seen out of him are not bad but the heifers are pretty lacking IMO. Lack of heart girth, need more capacity and rib shape.

Id say there are alot of better bulls out there , and the last thing you want to do is buy semen by the epd's , the bull needs to look the type , there are hunddreds of angus bulls that should of been cut instead of put in the stud books , Muscle is what I look at first and foremost , phenotype , style , we all still get paid on pounds first , then grade and yield , I personally wouldnt even consider using him

Like him or dislike him you cant deny how his progeny is selling, heifers and bulls toping sales across the country, he must be doing something right.

BSE,

I agree his progeny are bringing in top dollar. Seems like almost all the top cattle at the SAV sale were bred by Ten X. I wonder how his numbers are holding up? Didn't he quit producing for a while?

Kyle

TWR
I found a 2011 sire directory here is his numbers from the summer of 2011.
..........CED...BW. WW....YW...RADG...YH.... SC......DOC...CEM.. MILK... $EN
2011___+9___+.9__69____133__+.30__ +.3__ +1.27__+18 __ +10__+25___ -17.28
Today__+8___+.1__67_____136__+.36__ +.4__+1.56__+17 __ +9___+32___-10.73

......... CW....MARB....RE.....FAT.....$W........$F.......$G........$QC.....$YG..... $B
.2011__+47__+.78__ +.47__+.009__+28.60__+67.38__+32.80__+31.04__+1.76__+77.60
Today +.62__+1.37__+.70__+.004__+60.57__+90.69__+51.34__+48.61__+2.73__+128.12

It looks like he is improving all the time his acc. in 2011 were in the 50s now mid 80s and that just average didn't do each one. A lot of bulls will fall over 3 yrs but if numbers mean anything he is real and id think that's what is appealing about him.

SAV bull sale was a record this year 500 bulls averaged over $13000 per head, sale grossed over 8 million according to Tom Burke of the Angus Hall , I talked to Him sat. It was a all time record for the bred for 140 My Neighboor bought a SAV bull from the sale and he is thick , but my be a little moderate for me

Latest posts