Kill Stickers

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
we re-sprigged an old coastal field that had been out of production for years...but are now trying to get it back into shape....half of the field has come back really good and thick but the other half is covered in stickers/grass burs...what ever you prefer....just wondering if anyone knows of anyways to get rid of them besides the obvious choice of just killing everything in that area and starting it over, would like to save the coastal thats come back in it if possible, would putting out a pre-emergent next year work?

You cannot kill out grass burs. The seed will continue to come back up for years. Just take good care of the coastal and you will have far less burs over time. Pretty much the same with the weeds. But you can get most of them with the herbicide.
I just baled a grass bur meadow for a man. He says the cattle eat it just fine. :roll: I don,t know what is has in the way of nutritional value though.

Try applying 1 pt/ac of glyphosate (Round-Up) a couple of days after baling before you get new growth. That has worked for me. It is only 1/10 the rate to kill bemuda.

[
I just baled a grass bur meadow for a man. He says the cattle eat it just fine. :roll: I don,t know what is has in the way of nutritional value though.[/quote]my cows will eat it before it goes to seed. I had some goats that would eat it,stickers and all.
If I run my tractor through a pasture of grassburrs, I don't leave that pasture until every sticker is wire brushed off the tires.
The stickers will decrease as the soil health improves and the grass gets thicker.
If you are going to feed hay with grassburrs, use a small,remote pasture and be prepared to fight them come spring. I scrape whats left into a mulch pile, and cook the seeds.

GRTiger85":2fqx3paf said:
....just wondering if anyone knows of anyways to get rid of them besides the obvious choice of just killing everything in that area and starting it over, would like to save the coastal thats come back in it if possible, would putting out a pre-emergent next year work?

Try flaming your pasture in early spring before the sandburrs start growing. Our pasture/hay field used to be heavily infested with sandburrs - to the point it was impossible to manually handle the bales without chaps - but we had it flamed last spring, and again this past spring, and there are now very, very few sandburrs left in it - in fact, I haven't seen a one. :D

BC":2twazsyx said:
Try applying 1 pt/ac of glyphosate (Round-Up) a couple of days after baling before you get new growth. That has worked for me. It is only 1/10 the rate to kill bemuda.

I like this idea. I would use a 1% solution though. That would be more like 1 1/3 oz to a gallon. Then coming back next spring with a burn.
If you can get it get grazon sprayed on your field. It'll help stop seed from growing.

In addition to the Roundup and the burn, spray Atrazine in March over the field. This will prevent any sandspurs from germinating in the spring. Works well on centipede and bermuda grass but have heard it will hurt bahia.

GRTiger85":16gjx368 said:
we re-sprigged an old coastal field that had been out of production for years...but are now trying to get it back into shape....half of the field has come back really good and thick but the other half is covered in stickers/grass burs...what ever you prefer....just wondering if anyone knows of anyways to get rid of them besides the obvious choice of just killing everything in that area and starting it over, would like to save the coastal thats come back in it if possible, would putting out a pre-emergent next year work?
If you can afford it, pour the fertilizer to it. Your bermuda will grow like crazy, and if you really pour the fertilizer to it, the stickers can't take it and will die out. That 12 acre field I posted pics of yesterday where we got 88 rolls was full of stickers when it was sprigged. There's not any stickers there now. Double helpings of fertilizer killed the stickers and the coastal is best I've ever seen. :lol: :lol: