Kill johnsongrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowsrus

Reaction score
Whats good to spray on johnsongrass to kill it? I,ve got some growing around where I feed and around the barn and where I store hay. I,ve always heard that it can kill cows under certain circumstances, so I want to get rid of it. Where its at now the cows can,t get to it, But I want to get rid of it before it spreads any more. Most of it is where I can,t mow it, so I need to spray.

Two phrases you need to remember when dealing with Johnson Grass - Highly Fertilized and Highly Stressed.

If you've had rain, and since I see your from Ok. I suspect you have, you don't need to worry about the toxicity of Nitrogen from fertilizer collecting in the Johnson Grass. Cut it and bale it. Cattle love it.

There is a product called IMPOSE produced by MANA that can be used on forage bermuda grass. Can not be used on fescue or bahiagrass. It is used to control selected annual and perennial grass weeds.

Mongoose":ibir07u1 said:
Just let them eat it.
That seems to be the problem............
Where its at now the cows can,t get to it, But I want to get rid of it before it spreads any more. Most of it is where I can,t mow it, so I need to spray

cowsrus needs some Roundup or something to spray on it that will kill it out...........

Johnsongrass: For control or suppression of johnsongrass, apply MAVERICK herbicide at a rate of 1.33 ounces of product per acre (0.062 lb ai /a) post emergence when the johnsongrass is between 24-36 inches tall.

Sites to be treated:

Pastures and Bermuda grass hay meadows infested with johnsongrass.

Method of Application:

Post emergence broadcast by ground equipment

Rate of Application (amount ai. and product)

MAVERICK may be applied at a maximum rate of 1.33 oz. product (0.062 lbs. ai) per acre. The minimum re-treatment interval is 40 days.

Maximum number of Applications

2 applications (not to exceed 2.66 ounces of product per acre per year)

make sure you read the label on the pesticides, not all are labeled for every state.

I've been fighting that stuff for the last 4 years.Make sure you don't let it seed.Pick it off & burn it. If its not to dry torch it.Its not just the seed its also the rizone.Like the roots. They grow deep & can come back up & sped like crazy. I used round up &burned the seeds .Dug some up to try & get alot of the rizones.I have kept it in control.The stuff will take over.

You can kill Johnson grass out just by grazing it, as long as you don't let it go to seed, we had a field that was taken over when we bought this farm when it starts coming up we just turn the cows in on it and in a day its gone they love the stuff. Unless you fertilize heavy with N, have a bad drought or you have a killing frost it won't hurt the cows.

I have heard of people building a wick system with a boom sprayer. They took towels and hung them over the boom. They sprayed just enough round up to keep the towels wet and drug them over the johnson grass when it was about a foot taller than the bremuda. Has anyone tried this? If so how did you build yours or maybe just have an idea of how to build one? It seems to me it would work on a lot of different weeds that out grow your preferd grass.

novatech":2b7u7wlb said:
I have heard of people building a wick system with a boom sprayer. They took towels and hung them over the boom. They sprayed just enough round up to keep the towels wet and drug them over the johnson grass when it was about a foot taller than the bremuda. Has anyone tried this? If so how did you build yours or maybe just have an idea of how to build one? It seems to me it would work on a lot of different weeds that out grow your preferd grass.

I used to use a Spiedel Weed Wiper with Roundup going over the top of cotton to kill johnsongrass and it worked like a champ. They advertise in Fastline or you can do a quick web search and find them. They are made by Quality Metal Works. They consist of a 2 inch PVC pipe with 2 rows of small holes drilled in the pipe about two inches apart, then the pipe is covered in a heavy canvas. There is a hose bib for an air bleed on one end and a small radiator petcock for a drain valve. You unscrew the hose bib, pour in your roundup, and screw it back in tight, then just barely crack the bib valve. I used to run a rope wick but it was disintegrating and I bought the Spiedel applicator as a cheap replacement, but it worked WAY better than the rope wick ever did. The Spiedel wiper recharges very fast and gets a MUCH better wipe on the grass than a rope wick does, and drips a LOT less. The wick used to get dry going through large areas of grass but the Spiedel applicator would recharge quickly enough to stay wet and get a good wipe. Sometimes if you had a REALLY heavy area say 20-30 yards across or something of solid johnsongrass you'd have to make a second pass but it was rare.

Good luck! OL JR :)

MikeC":1rex5o55 said:
Johnsongrass: For control or suppression of johnsongrass, apply MAVERICK herbicide at a rate of 1.33 ounces of product per acre (0.062 lb ai /a) post emergence when the johnsongrass is between 24-36 inches tall.

Sites to be treated:

Pastures and Bermuda grass hay meadows infested with johnsongrass.

We had some johnsongrass popping up in one of the coastal fields, mostly next to the road & the ditch. This pic was taken about two weeks after applying Maverick. It seems to be working. Whether it actually killed the johnsongrass or just burned it back remains to be seen.

100_0922.jpg