Johnsongrass?

Help Support CattleToday:

ClodHopper37869

Reaction score
So not to hijack the Johnson grass seed post.
Would a hay roller with a crop chopper make the Jgrass large/tough stems more palatable?

Johnson Grass is good hay... "IF" you harvest it correctly. Here in Middle Tennessee you had better cut it before it heads-out and the cows will clean it up, often preferring it over normal grass hay. If it's over mature, it tends to be hard at not very palatable and It also looses a lot of nutritional value. We always use a mower-conditioner when harvesting Johnson Grass.

I try to cut my Jgrass before its 40 inches high, but sometimes things happen. This year we had rain and rain and rain.Started just about when the Jgrass was ready for cutting, finally got some hay weather when it was 6-7 feet tall and a large tough stem.

ClodHopper37869 said:
I try to cut my Jgrass before its 40 inches high, but sometimes things happen. This year we had rain and rain and rain.Started just about when the Jgrass was ready for cutting, finally got some hay weather when it was 6-7 feet tall and a large tough stem.

Sure that wasn't Sudan Sorghum? Never saw JG get over 3' tall around here and that's in fields that haven't seen steel for as long as one can remember. I have noticed on native vs purchased JG seeds, there are different varieties. I have never seen anybody's cows turn their noses at JG. JG has some of the highest numbers out there for food value so it could drop quite a bit and still be at the top of the pile...besides, ruminants don't need "horse hay". MY 2c.

Texasmark said:
ClodHopper37869 said:

Sure that wasn't Sudan Sorghum? Never saw JG get over 3' tall around here and that's in fields that haven't seen steel for as long as one can remember. I have noticed on native vs purchased JG seeds, there are different varieties. I have never seen anybody's cows turn their noses at JG. JG has some of the highest numbers out there for food value so it could drop quite a bit and still be at the top of the pile...besides, ruminants don't need "horse hay". MY 2c.

I see 6 foot or better regular

HDRider said:
Texasmark said:
ClodHopper37869 said:

I see 6 foot or better regular

Same here. I can't answer the guys question on the roller, but it's best cut long before it heads. If I had a way to grind it, I wouldn't care how big it got.

Latest posts