johnsongrass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I am not worried about the toxicity due to lots of rain this year and hay has been sitting for a few months. But can it get established in pasture by feeding hay with some seeds?

ugabulldog":3qhoa3gg said:
I am not worried about the toxicity due to lots of rain this year and hay has been sitting for a few months. But can it get established in pasture by feeding hay with some seeds?

yes

Yes. But my cows kee it wiped out of the pastures. It's hay fields where we can't graze is where we have the problems

"But can it get established in pasture by feeding hay with some seeds?"
If it was here, it would establish a lot more from hay with seeds than I'd probably want it to.
I like jg somewhat, but I want it where I want it and when I want it.

It will probably spread from hay if you cut and bale it just right, when the seed is mature, but not so old that it falls off in the field when the hay is raked and baled. However, as someone else said, it will never get established in the pasture unless you keep cattle off of it.

It makes good hay, but I wouldn't bother trying to get it established in the pasture.

I bought 14 bales of JG hay late winter last year. Fed them in the same place. I even spread some JG seed i had collected in the same general area. It is the poorest ground we have, so maybe that's the reason none came up. I was actually hoping it would. But seen nothing. And this ground sees 30-40 days in between grazings.

Here in southern Il. JG is hard to get rid of if it get established . It also grows from rhizomes in the soil which are invasive . I understand different areas have different type of hay they feed or graze . Field edges and ditches it grows and grows here . Hope u have a different option to use . RJ

Old man told me that Johnson grass is one of God's gifts to the poor farmers. I agree.

Seed is readily available in most states.
We plan to plant one of our hybrid Sudan fields in Johnson grass. With proper management it should be a one time deal instead of having to replant every year. It can also be double cropped with oats as well. Just like crabgrass.
Johnson grass is the most palatable grass for cattle that grows out of the earth. As far as prussic acid it can form in any grass. .

ClinchValley":3w04qvfg said:
If it were cut at the right time, i would buy it no problem.

Your a minority. I cant even mention it because people act like I'm trying to screw them. Then if I say I have Klein, coastal, Tifton they grill me if the jg is in them too. It's not worth even bringing up. They will pay way more for Tifton or klein.... oh well :lol2: ... you can't make them drink

Ha. I guess that means I should get them for a better deal next time. I was just glad to get some hay last winter. Do not want to go through that again.

Dogs and Cows":3gn8e3gf said:
callmefence":3gn8e3gf said:
Seed is readily available in most states.
We plan to plant one of our hybrid Sudan fields in Johnson grass. With proper management it should be a one time deal instead of having to replant every year. It can also be double cropped with oats as well. Just like crabgrass.
Johnson grass is the most palatable grass for cattle that grows out of the earth. As far as prussic acid it can form in any grass. .

Hey fence, I am thinking about doing the same thing with johnsongrass. It should have the same "prusic acid" issues as sudex...but it comes back every year. How many on here graze johnsongrass? Lastly, fence, where do you plan on getting your seed if I may ask? Thanks!

Tim

You'll find it in summer list in the misc. Column.

https://www.turnerseed.com/prices.html

It's listed as a noxious weed in some states.. :roll: if you're in one you'll have to get creative. You can hand pull a lot in a hurry in a thick stand and the seeds are mature. Sorghum almum is another option. Like crabgrass if you let it make seed in the fall it will be back come spring. Even if you plant oats or wheat over it.

Brute 23":2d460kzd said:
ClinchValley":2d460kzd said:
If it were cut at the right time, i would buy it no problem.

Your a minority. I cant even mention it because people act like I'm trying to screw them. Then if I say I have Klein, coastal, Tifton they grill me if the jg is in them too. It's not worth even bringing up. They will pay way more for Tifton or klein.... oh well :lol2: ... you can't make them drink
Then that means the don't know shyt about hay and probably cattle feed in general.

I have patches of JG but it doesn't come up every year like sometimes it lays dormant. Two years ago had a thick stand in one field since then nothing. Anybody else have this happen?

Brute 23":3c6h0ssg said:
Only thing I fault JG for is it has no resale value. I like to be able to sell hay if need be.

No problem selling it around here as long as you aren't selling to a horse lover buying what they (personally) would eat.

Funny, I was talking hay with a new neighbor the other day, came in with 3 horses. He was ranting on about JG in hay and getting pristine horse hay (for a song as usual). I pointed out that I used to lease the field where his horses are stabled currently and it's full of it. Continuing, they've been eating it since they arrived..........all was quiet!

Texasmark":iz9mlpyn said:
Brute 23":iz9mlpyn said:
Only thing I fault JG for is it has no resale value. I like to be able to sell hay if need be.

No problem selling it around here as long as you aren't selling to a horse lover buying what they (personally) would eat.

Funny, I was talking hay with a new neighbor the other day, came in with 3 horses. He was ranting on about JG in hay and getting pristine horse hay (for a song as usual). I pointed out that I used to lease the field where his horses are stabled currently and it's full of it. Continuing, they've been eating it since they arrived..........all was quiet!

:clap: :clap: :clap: