Kid's in the FFA

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron

Reaction score
Just wondering, how many of you have kids in the FFA. My daughter just retired her officers jacket Saturday night.

FFA has turned into nothing but, a joke here anymore. Advisor was caught buying beer for the students and then parents started jerking their kids out and he got fired. Bad rep for such a good orginization.

My daughter is in the FFA, also the will be the chapter Reporter for the second year next year. Actually she is going to the regional banquet tonight.

I just finished my FFA career. Had a pretty horrible advisor. Of course, didnt realize it until just recently, but now I know. What he does is he will get a few kids who will do all of the work to be done and he will treat them like royalty (I was one of those kids). He would do anything I asked and I did anything he said. Anytime I mentioned a show he would drop anything to take me. Now lately, since I am about to graduate, he pushed me aside so he can train his new pets. If the kid will benefit him he will help them out. He doesnt try to help everyone in the chapter, only those who benefit him the most. He has a certain group of a few kids who he takes to all of the conventions, competitions and everything else. Nobody else actually gets that FFA experience of all the conventions and competitions because he only lets his little pets go.

My old advisor was like that. We had a very good advisor when my brother was in the FFA but after my brother 8th grade year he retired. Then we got a teacher that kew nothing about FFA. Then he retired. After him came Mr. Oakes. He took us every where and we did all we could. Then this year we got a women and she also didnt know anything about the FFA. As far as i can tell they are not in the shop yet and heard the other day that she is leaving. So because of her I transfered schools from Bland to Narrows so that i could participate in the FFA and reap the benefits from the FFA. "And thats my story and Im sticking to it."
Millerlite :cboy:

I do not have kids in FFA. I was in FFA when I was in high school. Our school just started a chapter and I know some of the great young adults.

I am very proud of these young people. I was proud to be a member. We had a very good advisor--Don Esterline. He gave us every opportunity to achieve and supported us in every way.

I can still put on my jacket even if I cannot zip it well.
FFA is a great avanue for kids bent on success or mischief just like anything else.

I learned Roberts Rules of Order then. This skill alone has served me very well in my non-ag career.

Bret":34hj7vc3 said:
I do not have kids in FFA. I was in FFA when I was in high school. Our school just started a chapter and I know some of the great young adults.

I am very proud of these young people. I was proud to be a member. We had a very good advisor--Don Esterline. He gave us every opportunity to achieve and supported us in every way.

I can still put on my jacket even if I cannot zip it well.
FFA is a great avanue for kids bent on success or mischief just like anything else.

I learned Roberts Rules of Order then. This skill alone has served me very well in my non-ag career.

Well said Bret. It is a good avenue for kids who are serious enough about their ag branches to go for what they believe. Just like the Creed says.

As for the advisors/teachers, there are good and bad in no matter which subject. Same goes for the students, as well. If there are some places with bad advisors, that does not mean the other places have bad advisors, too.

I am the fouth Ag teacher/FFA Avisor at my school since 1937 when our chapter was chartered. I followed a teacher who let the FFA die and in the 20 years that I've been there, it has been a tough row to hoe to bring back that FFA pride. I'm teaching children whose dads were taught by the previous teacher and their dads have no understanding of what FFA is all about. Therefore, it becomes difficult to have any parental support for the program. However, the FFA is a superb organization, but like any organization, it is only as good as the members who comprise it.

(Sigh....), I guess times have changed...when I was in school the boys were in FFA and the girls were in FHA.....guess that tells my age. What ever happened to the "FFA Sweetheart", and the "FHA Beau"?....Times....they are a'changin.... :(

Springer to make matters worse I called home last night and ask my 13 year old son what he was doing. He answered " sewing a pillowcase". That was not a response I expected from him. He laughed and said "you should have tasted the cake I baked yesterday". He said that all the boys had to take 1 class of home mec. and the girls had to take one class of FFA. My daughter has won the land judging competition 2 years running. She is a honorary member of FFA just so they can get her on the land judging team. I would have kinda perdicted that but my son sewing pillow cases? I'd never have guessed in a million years.

We had an advisor a few yrs back that didn't think about the other areas of FFA such as public speaking, land juding or any of the other areas were the children could bennifit from just the area of showing livestock,. Well unless you could afford to spend a few thousand dollars and I mean like $10,000 and up you were not worth his time. He would only help those that spent that kind of money. I know my step chhildren showed mkt hogs nad lambs at the time and he NEVER came to the house to check on thier project.
Now our advisor is tring to bring the chapter back up and it is very hard. When you have children that showed under the first advisor and they still want things the way they were. Then you get this whole seperation from the group and you can just feel the tension when everyone is together. I myself along with my family and friend support EVERYTHINGS these kids do. I just spent a weekend with members of our chapter at thier state convention and had a ball.

It's good to hear so many have kids serving as officers. Its a great organization with the right advisor behind them. Our kids are selected to go to conventions on a point system. You must be involved to get the points to go.

J. T.":2w1woh51 said:
However, the FFA is a superb organization, but like any organization, it is only as good as the members who comprise it.

Couldn't agree more.

I was in FFA, and would like my daughters to participate in FFA also, although they still have several years to get there (my oldest is 7).

Latest posts