Kicking myself…

Help Support CattleToday:

If he's got them all bred now , all he's got to do is eat and grow . Yes you probably hurt his size some but I don't want my biggest Bull breaking down my heifers . My 2 cents

I see people use much worse than him. The problem for me was him sucking the cows. I would have shipped him the first week for that reason.

Trust me I would of but up until the other day I have been pretty much living at the hospital that is an hour away from home so I haven't been able to. He will be gone very soon now that we're home. Now if these twins would let me sleep…

Last edited:
I could of killed him when I caught him nursing..
I ran into that problem with a yearling bull, if I had had a gun with me I probably would have dropped him in his tracks.
But I waited till my cows were bred then shipped him.

Well, he's nothing to look at (where's his azz?). But he did get the job done. Nursing on another cow is a HARD PASS. At his age, I wouldn't steer him. He's going to slaughter anyway unless you want to go to the hassle & expense of having him trich tested.

So glad the twins are home! And other than a lack of sleep, hope everyone is doing well.
He looks like he as a cows head as well.

Okay, he is nothing special, he got them bred... he gets sold. Sucking cows is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me... And, he has grown some, kill prices are high... So you got what you needed and you will get some money back out of him. Could be worse...

Glad the twins are home from the hospital... How is your wife doing ? Sleep will be snatches here and there.... get used to it.!!!! Seriously, they will get into a routine but it is going to take some time....

Okay, he is nothing special, he got them bred... he gets sold. Sucking cows is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me... And, he has grown some, kill prices are high... So you got what you needed and you will get some money back out of him. Could be worse...

Glad the twins are home from the hospital... How is your wife doing ? Sleep will be snatches here and there.... get used to it.!!!! Seriously, they will get into a routine but it is going to take some time....

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Live and learn.

My wife is doing good. She had to have them delivered early because she developed Preeclampsia. After the c-section they had to take her back for another procedure because she was hemorrhaging. It was scary for a minute there but all is good now.

You could be OK on the calves... I had a friend who was a Red Angus breeder... she told me of LCC Above and Beyond... said the calves just fell out, looking like a drowned rabbit, making her go, "Why did I do THAT?"... but they hit the ground growing, and the heifers calves, in particular, grew out to be fantastic cows.

Sucking cows... I can't abide that, though.

If he's still trying to nurse cows then that would be a problem that if it were mine I'd get rid of.
I retained what I predicted to be a calving ease bull, because I had several heifers and wanted to minimize problems. The bull did just what I wanted him to do, but they were tiny calves. From a growth standpoint I had figured they might not grow the best. They had a range of growth with some being along in size with some of the average calves from the other bull out of cows. But over all they were somewhat smaller and were a few weeks older.
When bred to cows his calves were still tiny and still most lacked size in comparison to the other bull, also a calving ease bull, but larger.
That bull grew to have a bit of an unpredictable disposition which I didn't like and eventually culled him.

My two preemies were both 40 lbs. and you'd never know they were preemies to see them now. Both subsequent orphans. First one is now 12 with her 11th calf and 2nd in command. She always raises a whopper but has only given me 2 heifers, the 2nd one this year (kept the first and absolutely keeping this one). Second preemie is another one of my best producers, currently 9 with her 8th calf. I've kept all her heifers, two of her granddaughters and I'm keeping at least one of her great-granddaughters this year.

Sometimes big things come in little packages!

But still, the nursing, gotta go!

So this chapter has ended. Lol. I hauled him to the sale Friday and he did not get sold as a breeder bull. Now what whoever bought him does with him is on them but I wasn't selling him as a breeder because of the nursing still.

On the second page of this thread I put a picture of him that in my opinion was pretty bad. I don't know if it was the pretty good forage I put them on after that but a month really changed him and he was actually looking good, more like a bull. But the nursing thing is unacceptable.

Latest posts