Kicking heifer.

Help Support CattleToday:

oakrunfarm

Reaction score
We are first time cattle owners (have been breeding and showing Quarter Horses for 20+ years), and they delivered our first three Belted Galloway heifers yesterday. One is a weaned heifer, one is a yearling, and one is a bred 2 year old.

The two older heifers are show cattle, and they are well halter broke, lead well and are gentle. The younger heifer is a different story. She is barely halter broke, doesn't lead well, and we have been told she will kick.

While I know how to handle just about any situation that can occur with horses, I am not sure how cattle differ when it comes to handling and disciplining them. I would imagine there are a lot of similarities, but I'd like to know of differences too, so we can be prepared.

With horses, if one kicks or bites or is aggressive/pushy, it's important to IMMEDIATELY and strongly react to show that they have done something unacceptable. By reacting, I mean to yell and smack them a good one on the shoulder or butt. Is that the same type of thing that dissuades cattle, or will they basically just ignore you and keep on with the behavior?

Should we spend more time with her to gentle her, halter break her, get her leading better and get her used to us? We're going to have a small herd (no more than 6-8), and want to be able to enjoy spending time with our cattle without worrying about getting pushed around or kicked.

Because we are new to this, and the cattle are new to us, I know it's important right out of the box to make sure they respect us and to lay the ground rules for behavior. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Cattle and horses react this way because of fear while in the process of being gentled. I have seen cattle that have been spoiled. By that I mean they do not understand who the boss is. First you must get the calf to understand you are not going to inflect pain and there is nothing to fear. After that is done then the process of who is in charge takes place.
While halter breaking I never give the calf the opportunity to get within striking distance of her back feet. I work my way back starting at the front with a show stick. I never use the show stick to punish them. I never poke them in the flank. Once the calf shows that I can scratch her all over with the stick I will start again from from to back with my had. Some it may just take a couple of hours others seem to take forever.
I never slap one until after they have been broke. I quit yelling when I grew up. You cannot break fear by yelling or slapping.

Thank you! That is all very good information. Do you tie the calf while you are going over the body, or do you leave them free in the pasture while you do this?

I think it is going to be very important for me to remember that fear is more of a motivator with cattle. Young horses usually have a period when they turn into pushy bullies that only a loud "NO" and a slap will serve to make them respect your space and let them know it's not acceptable to be aggressive. I did not know if cattle went through that same type of stage.

What you have said is pretty much what I had read and why I asked specifically about a yell and a smack. I did not want to be doing something that was counterproductive to what I am trying to achieve. I don't want fear - I just want respect. I also don't want a bunch of spoiled cattle! :)

However, some cows/calves kick just out of pure cussidness. If they're startled they may kick but there are some that kick every once in a while for no apparant reason.

Calves have also had martial arts training. Snap kicks, round house, axe kick, flying side kicks - all of it. Don't be surprised if you are giving them an innoculation in the neck region, in a head gate, and they kick your wrist with a back foot from one side then the other.

Welcome to the board.
We have horses (AQHA, APHA) also and our kids show scramble heifers.

Halter break first. We tie the animal in a stall and it stays tied. It is lead to water, and while it is drinking, we place it's feed in it's tie spot and it is lead back to the grain. Tie low enough (a couple of feet from the floor) that it can lie down. The length of the rope should be between 24 and 30 inches. You want it long enough so that the heifer can be comfortable, but not so long that she gets tangled.
Being thirsty and hungry gives the heifer motivation to walk with you. We do this twice a day - morning and night.

When we start getting the heifer used to being touched, we tie her head up and start touching her with a show stick or sorting stick. They keep you far enough back, that you shouldn't get kicked. Repetition is the key, keep touching and stroking. Run it over the back, under the belly and along the legs. Once she get's used to it, you can start brushing her. Once she understands that it feels good and leading well, you can turn her loose and do what you want.

I really wouldn't try to get her used to being touched with her loose. It's a good way to get hurt.

Cattle have a different mind set than horses. They will tolerate more things than a horse will. Good luck and I hope that you enjoy them.

PS. One of our daughters had a show steer that she taught to do a showmanship. Boy did people's eyes bug out at the progress shows when before her class, she would trot him up to the ring, back, and do a 360 pivot with him. He would stick it too
happy.gif

Edited due to Satellite burp. :oops:

Thank you very much Chippie! (And everyone else.) I'll bet that "showmanship steer" is quite an attention-getter, lol.

All very good information to have.

We've had them now for about a week, and all are getting a little more used to us. We feed 2 to 1 sweet feed to pellets every afternoon, and take that time to let them get used to us. We've been able to touch them all, but have not yet had time to confine/halter them.

The heifer calf is still the least trusting, but we'll spend more time getting them all accustomed to us, and the calf gentled more in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the pointers.

Latest posts