Kicking Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

stevev

Reaction score
I bought a Black Angus calf from a auction for a 4H project for one of the kids. My problem is that he likes to kick when you come up from behind. Is there a good way to break the calf from kicking?

stevev":2r88xfaa said:
I bought a Black Angus calf from a auction for a 4H project for one of the kids. My problem is that he likes to kick when you come up from behind. Is there a good way to break the calf from kicking?

Yup, butcher him.

Sorry, couldnt resist.

I cant help you, maybe someone else can. Maybe post in the show thread.

That's because he doesn't trust you enough to let you walk up behind him. Hitting him is only going to reinforce that mistrust.

Is he tied when he kicks? You shouldn't be walking up behind him regardles.. start at his shoulder when you approach him. As he gets your trust, you'll be able to walk up behind him.

Their instinct is that predators come from behind, so kicking is a reflex type of action.

TheBullLady":1aq8rpkm said:
That's because he doesn't trust you enough to let you walk up behind him. Hitting him is only going to reinforce that mistrust.

Is he tied when he kicks? You shouldn't be walking up behind him regardles.. start at his shoulder when you approach him. As he gets your trust, you'll be able to walk up behind him.

Their instinct is that predators come from behind, so kicking is a reflex type of action.

I dont know, but this makes a lot of sense to me.

Makes sense, but there are some that will always through a kick just for the heck of it.

dun

Work into it. Start brushing him and eventually work down the front legs, under the belly, and finally down the back legs (all the way to the hoof). This will instill trust between you and him. Make sure as you approach him that you announce your presence by talking to him. I know our cattle, both show and pasture cows, like to have their tail scratched. If he associates your approaching him from behind with some him likes then it may help.

Alot of good advise. Need to add that you need to let the calf know that you are there...talk to the animal, start at the head, let him sniff your hand, scratch his forehead then work to neck rubs and back rubs.
Remember that this isn't accomplished in a day...it takes time to gain the animal's trust and to teach him that you are not going to hurt him...treats always help. Good luck.DMc

For awhile, approach the calf only from the side where she can easily see you. She is probably kicking from the being surprised. She didnt see you coming and all of a sudden there is a shadow or noise. CAttle are prey animals, hence kicking at anything is a defense mechanism. Once she gets use to you approaching her, this behavior may stop

have you tried just scratching him around the tail head and working your way down a little, they like the scratching so much they forget about the kicking. Of course all the time you're scratching you're talking to them also, helps instill the trust. Worth a try

I think, get another calf. You will never be able to trust him.

And as he gets bigger the kicks will hurt more. :mad:

The eat him or sell him, not a bad answers.

mnmt

Latest posts