Kicking myself…

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
I bought a bull back in April to use on my herd of heifers. He was 13 months then. I guess I hoped he would grow into something decent being that young but in the back of my mind I knew better. The group of heifers I got seem to be really decent and then I go and buy a steer with nuts to put with them.

He is in the top 1% for CE and 5% for BW and I can see why. The calves will probably be so small they will probably fall out without the heifers knowing.. I guess I'm just venting. I'm pretty sure I'm going to ship him and try again next year.

I bought a bull back in April to use on my herd of heifers. He was 13 months then. I guess I hoped he would grow into something decent being that young but in the back of my mind I knew better. The group of heifers I got seem to be really decent and then I go and buy a steer with nuts to put with them.

He is in the top 1% for CE and 5% for BW and I can see why. The calves will probably be so small they will probably fall out without the heifers knowing.. I guess I'm just venting. I'm pretty sure I'm going to ship him and try again next year.
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

I'd still like to see a good picture of your disappointing bull.

Don't kick him in the a$$ just because he is a little small and feminine... they do grow. Plus he was only 13 months and then you put him to work so his energy was going to breeding and not growing.

As has been stated, all he needed to do was get them bred, and put small calves in them so they can slide them right out. He is worth his weight in gold if you don't get a huge calf that causes you to lose both the calf and one heifer trying to have it.
We have 2 bulls that we bought as heifer bulls... one is 10 the other is 9. We still use them on heifers and they are at full mature size now. Both are built a little smaller than some of our "cow bulls" but weigh 18 or more now. They are both gentle easy breeders.... and I wouldn't trade them for anything even though their calves STILL average 60-70 lbs at best.
We don't keep many of the heifers out of these 1st calf heifers because you don't know how they are going to do so we treat most all these as terminal calves to be sold. Have kept a couple though that look and do good. But their whole purpose remains to get the heifers bred with a calf sized so that she can have it with no trouble.

We often use the bull on them as 2nd calf animals too... especially the smaller ones, and then by the time they are pushing 4 and have their 2nd calf on the ground, they are grown and can handle any bull's calves that we have.

These might be really nice heifers... so look at the calves as terminal/sell calves that will pay you back for the time you have had to feed them.....and then you can use a "better bull" on them for the next calf and know that these girls will do a better job, and their bodies are primed to have bigger calves. Plus, any that don't milk good or mother good, can be sold and you can buy a better female to replace her if needed.
This bull has provided the step up for these heifers.

Last edited:
Don't kick him in the a$$ just because he is a little small and feminine... they do grow. Plus he was only 13 months and then you put him to work so his energy was going to breeding and not growing.

As has been stated, all he needed to do was get them bred, and put small calves in them so they can slide them right out. He is worth his weight in gold if you don't get a huge calf that causes you to lose both the calf and one heifer trying to have it.
We have 2 bulls that we bought as heifer bulls... one is 10 the other is 9. We still use them on heifers and they are at full mature size now. Both are built a little smaller than some of our "cow bulls" but weigh 18 or more now. They are both gentle easy breeders.... and I wouldn't trade them for anything even if their calves STILL average 60-70 lbs at best.
We don't keep many of the heifers out of these 1st calf heifers because you don't know how they are going to do so we treat most all these as terminal calves to be sold. Have kept a couple though that look and do good. But their whole purpose remains to get the heifers bred with a calf sized so that she can have it with no trouble.

We often use the bull on them as 2nd calf animals too... especially the smaller ones, and then by the time they are pushing 4 and have their 2nd calf on the ground, they are grown and can handle any bull's calves that we have.

These might be really nice heifers... so look at the calves as terminal/sell calves that will pay you back for the time you have had to feed them.....and then you can use a "better bull" on them for the next calf and know that these girls will do a better job, and their bodies are primed to have bigger calves. Plus, any that don't milk good or mother good, can be sold and you can buy a better female to replace her if needed.

Good points. He did go straight to work at 13 months and none of them are getting any grain. Grass and hay. Sometimes I look at these nice yearlings out there and then look at mine…..but I don't know how hard they are worked or if they are on feed, etc.

I'd like to keep him at least another year to help spread the cost out but of course I don't know what the calves will be and I am locked in for another year esse if he breeds them again. But then again they could turn out good and I kick myself for getting rid of him to soon. Lol. Guess that is what keeps things exciting.

. . . As has been stated, all he needed to do was get them bred, and put small calves in them so they can slide them right out. He is worth his weight in gold if you don't get a huge calf that causes you to lose both the calf and one heifer trying to have it.
We have 2 bulls that we bought as heifer bulls... one is 10 the other is 9. We still use them on heifers and they are at full mature size now. Both are built a little smaller than some of our "cow bulls" but weigh 18 or more now. They are both gentle easy breeders.... and I wouldn't trade them for anything even if their calves STILL average 60-70 lbs at best.

Exactly. Back when I saved enough heifers every year to justify keeping a bull just for breeding them I was perfectly happy if he threw healthy calves that were small enough for me to reach down and grab them under the chest and carry them around like you would a small dog.

Could not get him to turn and stand straight to save my life. Registration is 20024541 if you want to look at that as well.

View attachment 22058
Looks like a long yrling bull that has been working. Feed him a little extra over winter and you may be surprised how he looks by turn out next year.

I don't see the problem. Looks like a yearling bull in the fall that wasn't pushed hard before he was a yearling. In rougher country he would be 50-100 lbs. lighter this time of year. He will grow and bulk up quite a bit in the next 12 months.

Good points. He did go straight to work at 13 months and none of them are getting any grain. Grass and hay. Sometimes I look at these nice yearlings out there and then look at mine…..but I don't know how hard they are worked or if they are on feed, etc.

I'd like to keep him at least another year to help spread the cost out but of course I don't know what the calves will be and I am locked in for another year esse if he breeds them again. But then again they could turn out good and I kick myself for getting rid of him to soon. Lol. Guess that is what keeps things exciting.
Most bulls you see in catalogues have been developed on grain or forage crops to get them to a presentable weight for sales, yours will get there, just take a bit longer. I sell bulls as yearlings around 13 months, they get nothing other than grass up to weaning in autumn, they remain on poor quality grass over winter but are supplemented with grain to keep gaining at 1-1.5 kg/day over winter. I shoot for 600 kg which gives me a marketable product but they are not overdone as their frame is growing fast as well when helped along.

Ken

Give me a rougher looking bull in his WORKING CLOTHES, rather than a slicked up one that will fall apart as soon as he has to actually do something. Reminds me of a guy all dressed up like a dandy rather than a guy in his jeans and flannel shirt... which one would I want???? No contest... give me the one that gets the job done. Slick and fancy doesn't cut it.

If his job is done his body will now put his food into developing his body. And with no grain or anything extra I rather think he looks to be in pretty good shape... another plus as an easy keeper also.

Give me a rougher looking bull in his WORKING CLOTHES, rather than a slicked up one that will fall apart as soon as he has to actually do something. Reminds me of a guy all dressed up like a dandy rather than a guy in his jeans and flannel shirt... which one would I want???? No contest... give me the one that gets the job done. Slick and fancy doesn't cut it.

If his job is done his body will now put his food into developing his body. And with no grain or anything extra I rather think he looks to be in pretty good shape... another plus as an easy keeper also.

I have to admit I haven't really looked at him that close for a little bit due to being really busy lately. Here lately it's been basically just making sure they have food and they are alive and where they should be.

When I went up today to get the picture I kind of felt stupid for posting the thread and telling my wife yesterday I was getting rid of him because I when I got to him I thought he was looking much better. In fact he looks to have gotten bigger and surpassed my lighter heifers of the group which all of them are older then him by a few months.

I never thought he looked horrible per se, but it just seemed like he would not grow this summer but as you guys pointed out, he was breeding and trying to grow at the same time which would explain him putting on some weight finally.

Latest posts