Stuck Myself Today

Help Support CattleToday:

twabscs

Reaction score
Hi All,

Today I was working my calves getting ready for weaning. I gave a shot of Alpha-7 to each calf and a shot of BarVac CDT for the bulls getting banded. When I was cleaning up the syringes, I stuck myself (I was worn out) with (I think) the Alpha-7 needle (still attached to Allflex repeater). It went pretty deep into the side of my thumb (18 gauge, 3/4") and it bled significantly. I'm sure there was some residual Alpha-7 and who knows what else on the needle. I've read the label and it says this: "Accidental injection to humans can cause serious local reactions. Contact a physician immediately if accidental injection occurs." There really wasn't an injection just some residue on the needle. So, should I?

1) Go to the emergency room
2) Call my doctor tomorrow
3) Not worry about it.

I feel okay and the thumb feels okay too. It stung quite a bit at first, but subsided after I cleaned it good with soapy water.

In any case, be careful out there!!

Thanks

You are a rancher now - DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

Unless you have insurance, I sure wouldn't worry unless it starts to look infected and even then I would try a bunch of other stuff before I went to a Doc over a needle stick. Bet I have done that at least a dozen times. Branded myself, stuck myself with scalpels you name it. Don't worry.

PS

Instructions with "serious local reaction" means not likely to do anything.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago and I am still here to tell about it.
I will tell you , I didnt sleep to well the night I did it though . All kinda things were going through my mind . Most all of them related to me kicking the bucket .

Cow jumped, syringe disappeared then reappeared in thumb. Couldn't sleep that night either - had to make several trips to the bathroom. That Ivomec will really clean you out. Gained a few pounds later :lol:

I got one for you - just so you know it happens to others - I wrote this almost 2 years ago - on one of those "Worst Mistakes" threads.

Try not to laugh too hard at me please.

Bez?
---------------------

Man oh man - where do I start? I have so many to tell you about.

The latest was this Spring.

Wife and I were out looking for newborns in the willow patch. It's about 20 acres of low ground and we call it hospital corner because nearly every cow in our herd goes there to give birth.

It's pretty thick and the ground is dry and cool - perfect for those requiring a little privacy.

Wife has the "tag bag" with vitamins and selenium and so on. I am carrying a cane and a rope. It's a great day and we are actually just going for a walk - having a little chat and we even brought a thermos of coffee to enjoy while we sit on "the rock" in the middle of this ground. A perfect place to spot cows and calves.

Well, number 95 was obviously calved out - but we could never find her calf. We are now a week into looking for it. The calf is obviously sucking the cow, but she has it hid real good.

About 1500 hours I spotted her walking into the bush from the north pasture. I gave wife a nudge and told her we might get a chance to tag her calf today. Wife just grins and says - "We've never been successful with this cow in all the years we owned her - why today?"

Me - "Just a feeling."

So we sat there for about another 30 minutes and watch her leave the far side.

I waited about 30 minutes more and said - "Time for a walk - it's probably napping now."

Shaking her head, wife follows meekly along.

Found the not so little guy sleeping in the thickest part of the bush. No chance for a rope so I snuck up and hooked it with the cane handle. All heck breaks loose, but I wrestle it to the ground and wife prepares the syringe of selenium and the tag.

I always inject first and tag last. Calf has calmed down big time and I'm getting a little braver. So I let off of my death grip to take the needle from wife. Just as I prepare to give this guy a good start on life he bucks, I trip on a root - fall hard to the ground and immediately inject the entire 2 cc's of selenium and vitamin B into my jaw.

As I lay there on the ground, calf walks off and and gives me a dirty look. Wife looks at me and says in a very calm and matter of fact manner - "I wonder if that is going to help you tonight, or if you need to go to the hospital.

So, with a sore jaw and a non-sympathetic wife we walk back to the house. Wife calls the veterinarian. Now Ian is a great animal doctor, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. After he stopped laughing, which was a long time - he said he did not know if it was going to be a problem or not. So, he called the local hospital and talked with Ginnette - who just happens to live on the farm about three miles south of us.

Another not so sympathetic laughing matter apparently ocurred. Then Ginnette called me at the house. By now, swelling has started to go down as I have been applying ice. Wife answers the phone and the laughing starts again.

So much for professional medical opinions!

Anyway, it turns out the selenium does no harm and the vitamin B is good for you. And every time I go to the local feed store I get snickers from the help. Still not sure how they found out.

I am now 0 and 5 for tagging that cows babies. I don't think I am even going to try next year.

Best regards,

Bez

I wouldn't get too concerned unless it starts swelling or hurting profusely. I shot myself in the thumb back in April with Alpha-7 and am still here, alive and as close to normal as I ever was.

That alpha-7 sure does leave a whelp on the neck of some calves. I've got some that still look like they are carrying a baseball on their neck. Anyone ever lanced one of these knots?

cfpinz

I get a laugh every time I read that story Bez? - Thanks!

I wouldn't worry, there are a few catte meds that are extremely dangerous but if you made it long enough to make this post you'll probably live.

Add me to the list, I'll surely never have worms :oops:

I've had enough pour-on applied to me, I don't think I'll ever have worms.
Same with fly spray - breeze shifted, we didn't. That stuff has a funny taste but at least the flies aren't bothering me now.

Yeah, I lived (so far), and feel fine today. Thumb just a little red (quarter sized area around hole) and only hurts when I press on it. Overall, looks like option 3 was the best policy - Don't worry about it. :)

twabscs":2l62jwd9 said:
Yeah, I lived (so far), and feel fine today. Thumb just a little red (quarter sized area around hole) and only hurts when I press on it. Overall, looks like option 3 was the best policy - Don't worry about it. :)

Like my doc used to say, if it hurts don;t do it!

dun

Stuck myself plenty of times with the needle meant for an oxytocin cow, plus more than one shot of Pen G. So far, I'm alive and kicking. Did hear of one chap that was actually hospitalized for doing something similar, although if my memory serves me right it was LA200 in the syringe.

Last winter the daughter and I were working cows. She stuck herself with a needle while giving 8 way shots. I told her "well you wont get blackleg". The vet was coming to do some work when we were done with the cows so she asked him. He said, "well you wont get blackleg".
She stuck herself again this spring when we were working calves. Once again with 8 way. That time she went to the doctor. Not because of the vaccine but because the needle stuck the bone in her thumb. It got infected. I offered to give her a shot of LA 200 to clear up the infection but she turned me down.
One thing about it she isn't showing any signs of getting blackleg.
Dave

Most of the time you are pretty safe, unless it is something like Micotil or other antibiotics.

Just make sure you are current on your Tetanus shots if you ever get stuck by a needle.

Not even sure what was being vacc. for at the time, but I was in high school, over at a friends house (dairy).... we jumped in the pick-up and I slid over on the seat to let someone else in and stuck a big @$$ metal syringe right into my butt cheek, had to have my friend pull it out.

Latest posts