I have to tell on myself and ask a question

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I never thought I would be telling on myself like this but here goes. I had only 2 bulls left for sale and had some calls this week to come look and buy. I was looking throught the bulls today in the test pens. one of my 2 older bulls 17 months has only one testicle. I have had this bull in a chute no less than 5 times (ww,yw,vaccs,ultra sound,semen check) the bull passed his fertility test and even had a 35 cm scrot measurment. Only thing I can figure was the one testicle was turned or something to get that high of a measurment. I am around my cattle, bulls, cows, heifers,calves every single day. i enjoy looking through them. I have taken no less than a couple thousand pics of my calttle over the years. I can't for the life of me figure out how I could have missed this one, but oh well.
My question is " a bull at that age who has been on a grain diet for his bull test and has had a maintance ration from then on. would this bull be doog to eat as say a younger steer. I was told it would be good but the meat would be a little darker. I was told to give him all the corn he could eat for 30 days and then send him to the packer. Any suggestions. Also have any of you ever seen anyone use a uniballer of cows.

plbcattle":227aj2be said:
I never thought I would be telling on myself like this but here goes. I had only 2 bulls left for sale and had some calls this week to come look and buy. I was looking throught the bulls today in the test pens. one of my 2 older bulls 17 months has only one testicle. I have had this bull in a chute no less than 5 times (ww,yw,vaccs,ultra sound,semen check) the bull passed his fertility test and even had a 35 cm scrot measurment. Only thing I can figure was the one testicle was turned or something to get that high of a measurment. I am around my cattle, bulls, cows, heifers,calves every single day. i enjoy looking through them. I have taken no less than a couple thousand pics of my calttle over the years. I can't for the life of me figure out how I could have missed this one, but oh well.
My question is " a bull at that age who has been on a grain diet for his bull test and has had a maintance ration from then on. would this bull be doog to eat as say a younger steer. I was told it would be good but the meat would be a little darker. I was told to give him all the corn he could eat for 30 days and then send him to the packer. Any suggestions. Also have any of you ever seen anyone use a uniballer of cows.

He will taste fine - trust me.

Does not matter how good he might be as a bull - pull him - you got a rep to maintain.

Bez?

did ya stick around a while to see if he happened to just have it pulled up? some bulls will pull just one up and leave one down. check him a few more times

he was a bull that I would sell as a commercial bull. I am not going to sell him now but I was just wondering how the meat will taste vs a younger steer.

I've heard that young fed bulls are very good eating. I would like to try one, let us know how it is.

mnmt

I would question who ever took the scrotal measurement.
If he is truly one nutted they should have caught it then.

The only reason the meat will be darker will be if someone burns it ! He'll be fine eatin' - likely a little leaner than a steer but otherwise no difference.

Diehard40":3ddxqrwh said:
I would question who ever took the scrotal measurement.
If he is truly one nutted they should have caught it then.

I agree! Lots of things can be missed with visual inspections but I would not think a vet doing the fertility test could miss a missing testicle!

There are a number of smaller programmes in which whole and 'short scrotum' bulls are fed to 18 months, as whole bulls they grow faster and produce a leaner carcase.
When these bulls were slaughtered they scored a similar grading profile to steers under the same feeding regime, with tenderness etc also on par to steers.
Older bulls will develop darker, coarser and tougher meat,I will try to find some of my notes on bull feeding if this will help.