Kawasaki mule 550??

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Neighbor has one he just offered to me for 1k. He doesn't know what year it is, but it's carves and 2wd. It's been very well maintained, by has 4500 hours on it. I do want a side by side for checking properties and such, and the price is right but the hours bother me.
Anyone have one and know how many hours too many.

Not a mule, but my Kawasaki 400 has about the same hours and does very well. If I knew my Georgia neighbors were coming this way yet this fall, I would ask them to go pick it up for me. I sure wouldn't mind a side-by-side for giving visitors tours of the cows and such. Only drawback for me is the 2wd. But $1000 doesn't get you anywhere when you go looking at a new one at the dealer.

I have one, but the hr. meter went out years ago. So I can not tell you what I have on it. It has been a very good vehicle but I don't know how it would do without 4-WD. I use the 4-WD a lot in the mud. No mechanical issues but it is extremely cold blooded! Have to choke it each and every time you start it. Even if it is slightly warm. I have always liked the Kawasaki's and have had good luck with them.
I do not see how you could possibly go wrong at that price. It just may have limited use being only 2 WD.

Maybe it wouldn't be something for up here where you have snow and ice for half the year, but at that price I'd get it!.. We can't get an old beat up quad for $1000 around here.

Basic engine rebuild on that probably can be done for $500 or less if you do it.. a few gaskets, rings, piston and valves and you'll be set for a while longer.

Give me 10 minutes and I'd have that thing running much better I bet... turn the idle mix screw out 1/4 turn and lower the clip on the carb slide needle a notch or two.. I bet it would be much happier. Try premium fuel if you don't use it already, can make a world of difference, especially in small engines.

Nesikep":1affa74n said:
Give me 10 minutes and I'd have that thing running much better I bet... turn the idle mix screw out 1/4 turn and lower the clip on the carb slide needle a notch or two.. I bet it would be much happier. Try premium fuel if you don't use it already, can make a world of difference, especially in small engines.
Nesi could you please come and service ALL of the vehicles on my farm for me? I have several that could use a paint job also! Mechanics are so expensive, it would be cheaper to just fly you to CA for your work! :D

I think if I ever take a holiday from here for any length of time and go travelling, I might do something like that.. Body work is VERY time consuming though, and I don't think I'd ever get a holiday long enough.. My dad's truck has been in the shop since I finished my truck (end of june I think), and it's just getting close to completion now.. it's been a really long haul on it

My sister has an older Mule, but it's 4wd. Only thing I don't like about it is the "CLUNK" it still makes going into gear from neutral. If you don't jam it in, the gears grind, even after I got (finally) the idle down on the rpm. So far, it starts and runs every time she gets in the seat.

I have a Gator that has a Kawasaki engine in it, and it has just less than 2k hours on it.
I think the engine is fine, maybe check some of the steering components for wear.

He had a heavily used 550 that after about 10 years it got to the point that I had to have the starter rebuilt once a year

Latest posts