Polaris Ranger vs. Kawasaki Mule

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":1mziqcyd said:
Brute 23":1mziqcyd said:
I hunt, work, and play out of both. I own a Mule Pro FXT.

The Polaris will have more issues over its lifetime. I don't like the stall when you take off. Its a real PIA when you are spraying brush or backing up to trailers. Its not a smooth take off. I also don't like that when you put the Polaris in 4wd it waits for a tire to spin before it engages the front wheels. Then it also decide when to disengage it again.

The Polaris will be faster. It will have more leg room in the back seat but it will be longer also.

The Mule Pro is true to the Mule reputation. I flat out abuse mine and have had zero issues. The Mule Pro is smoother than the Polaris, has a longer warranty, and is a hair cheaper. Kawasaki sold me on the Trans mule a long time ago. Being able to have a back seat one minute then switch to a huge, full size, bed the next seals the deal for me.

Mule_zpsewvm1iim.jpg
Those things aren't an issue with mine. Maybe a newer model?

GAonmymind brings up a good point. I never had any need for a warranty on my Ranger, but the 6 month thing is BS.

All Rangers do it and it gets worse with age. Your probably use to it. It aggrivates me when I jump back and forth between the two.

I have never had to use the 3 yr warranty either, but I like knowing it's there. These are $15-20k machines. They can do more than 6mo for piece of mind.

most of the time when these machines break it is operator error .. they are often used like submarines and airplanes !. warranty is no good in most cases . sure theres lemons from the manufacturer but are they show up real quick if thats the case . Simple machines , total rebuilds are cheap and easy . power steering mule pro's and ranger xp's are both on top

i got a mule 4010 just bought it...like it except for the somewhat of a hiccup in the fuel inj and the front diffs bangs when it unlocks..but it rides like crap and has decent bed that you cant dump if it has anything in it. easy to drive and carries alotta crap for doing fence

dieselbeef":5lcdgbtu said:
i got a mule 4010 just bought it...like it except for the somewhat of a hiccup in the fuel inj and the front diffs bangs when it unlocks..but it rides like crap and has decent bed that you cant dump if it has anything in it. easy to drive and carries alotta crap for doing fence

Are you stopping when you disengage the 4wd? Those are not shift on the fly 4wd systems like the Mule Pro or Ranger. Also, you should not run that 4wd system on hard surfaces for distance. That will also make it pop.

Does is have a push button 4wd or levers you pull down? If it's levers those have cables that may need to be adjusted to make it smoother.

Brute 23":32tu9pwd said:
M.Magis":32tu9pwd said:
Brute 23":32tu9pwd said:
I hunt, work, and play out of both. I own a Mule Pro FXT.

The Polaris will have more issues over its lifetime. I don't like the stall when you take off. Its a real PIA when you are spraying brush or backing up to trailers. Its not a smooth take off. I also don't like that when you put the Polaris in 4wd it waits for a tire to spin before it engages the front wheels. Then it also decide when to disengage it again.

The Polaris will be faster. It will have more leg room in the back seat but it will be longer also.

The Mule Pro is true to the Mule reputation. I flat out abuse mine and have had zero issues. The Mule Pro is smoother than the Polaris, has a longer warranty, and is a hair cheaper. Kawasaki sold me on the Trans mule a long time ago. Being able to have a back seat one minute then switch to a huge, full size, bed the next seals the deal for me.

Mule_zpsewvm1iim.jpg
Those things aren't an issue with mine. Maybe a newer model?

GAonmymind brings up a good point. I never had any need for a warranty on my Ranger, but the 6 month thing is BS.

All Rangers do it and it gets worse with age. Your probably use to it. It aggrivates me when I jump back and forth between the two.

I have never had to use the 3 yr warranty either, but I like knowing it's there. These are $15-20k machines. They can do more than 6mo for piece of mind.

We have an 07 Ranger 700XP that is the same way. There's a bit of a delay, and it's near impossible to feather the throttle to creep forward or backwards. It's no or go on that machine. You get used to it, but it's still a pain.

Kawasaki all the way.

TCRanch":sngp9arh said:
You know we're big on Polaris, bought 2 new 1000's a few months ago; his is the Ranch Edition and the only upgrade I got from my old on was windshield wipers (power steering is a must!). But Hustler now has a UTV (they call it a MDV) and it's pretty impressive. Bare bones as far as extra features, only comes in diesel but the bed lifts up/down on hydraulics.
http://www.countrysidemotors.net/auto/n ... /18039768/

How do you like the new ones compared to the previous ones? Were they 800's or 900's?

Brute 23":pzbclill said:
dieselbeef":pzbclill said:

Are you stopping when you disengage the 4wd? Those are not shift on the fly 4wd systems like the Mule Pro or Ranger. Also, you should not run that 4wd system on hard surfaces for distance. That will also make it pop.

Does is have a push button 4wd or levers you pull down? If it's levers those have cables that may need to be adjusted to make it smoother.

yea we always stop. even to lock unlock the diff. it likely does need the cable adj to make it better. I had to to the gear selector. the dealer I bought it from did such a sorry job assembling it that ive been all thru the adj myself. all the cables were adj too tight and no freeplay. the bolts on the bed were loose. the weldnuts on the battery were on the wrongside so ya need to use pliers to hold it to undo the bolts when i installed the winch. the steering wheel is crooked and it pulls to the right when ya let go of the wheel..bad!
worst part is Kawasaki don't care and the idiots at the dealership I bought it from think I should just bring it back..as if im going to let the morons who screwed it up in the first place have anther go. I checked all the fluids myself too...sad really. almost 10 grand for it. cost more than the car I drive to work 35 mi each way everyday. 30 hrs on it...cant get a manual..90 bucks online..wtf

cfpinz":3gio5ij4 said:
TCRanch":3gio5ij4 said:
You know we're big on Polaris, bought 2 new 1000's a few months ago; his is the Ranch Edition and the only upgrade I got from my old on was windshield wipers (power steering is a must!). But Hustler now has a UTV (they call it a MDV) and it's pretty impressive. Bare bones as far as extra features, only comes in diesel but the bed lifts up/down on hydraulics.
http://www.countrysidemotors.net/auto/n ... /18039768/

How do you like the new ones compared to the previous ones? Were they 800's or 900's?
The ones we just traded were 900's but we've had 800's. The 1000's have a lot more get-up-n-go but that's hardly a priority here, not much else has changed. If you're looking at used, they added a governor when they came out with the 900's so you can't go over 11 mph without the seat belt secured (we just keep them attached and shove them behind the seat). He's still thinking about trading in his new one for the Hustler, mainly because he's having back surgery in Sept and lifting is out, it would be a lot easier for me to move tubs, etc.

TCRanch":3168v8lm said:
The ones we just traded were 900's but we've had 800's. The 1000's have a lot more get-up-n-go but that's hardly a priority here, not much else has changed. If you're looking at used, they added a governor when they came out with the 900's so you can't go over 11 mph without the seat belt secured (we just keep them attached and shove them behind the seat). He's still thinking about trading in his new one for the Hustler, mainly because he's having back surgery in Sept and lifting is out, it would be a lot easier for me to move tubs, etc.

You need to take it easier on the young man!

cfpinz":39du0vff said:
TCRanch":39du0vff said:

You need to take it easier on the young man!
Ha! He's been essentially benched this entire year. I've developed muscles I didn't know existed.

We looked at a mule yesterday..Looking to replace a gator....Looked at the Kabotas and they are too slow. Got offered a 'good' deal on a 2016 double seater. But when we got home and did more investigations it wasn't as good of a deal...

Brute 23":ml7gowii said:
I'm pretty sure you can put a dump bed on the Polaris. That Hustler is not going to be half the machine the Polaris is.
Polaris already has a dump bed. The hydraulic dump bed kits I've seen appear to do nothing more than eliminate manually pulling the lever. The Hustler bed will lift off the MDV; you can dump the cargo (same as with the Polaris) or lower the bed all the way to the ground. I agree on the quality of the Polaris; we're just thinking about making things easier for me and would only trade in one of them. Plan B is keeping both and I'll have to learn how to master the track loader, preferably without taking out too many trees, cattle or outbuildings.

TCRanch":3cqb6nva said:
Brute 23":3cqb6nva said:
I'm pretty sure you can put a dump bed on the Polaris. That Hustler is not going to be half the machine the Polaris is.
Polaris already has a dump bed. The hydraulic dump bed kits I've seen appear to do nothing more than eliminate manually pulling the lever. The Hustler bed will lift off the MDV; you can dump the cargo (same as with the Polaris) or lower the bed all the way to the ground. I agree on the quality of the Polaris; we're just thinking about making things easier for me and would only trade in one of them. Plan B is keeping both and I'll have to learn how to master the track loader, preferably without taking out too many trees, cattle or outbuildings.

That sounds like a better plan. Even though the Hustler may dump the tubs you still have to get them in the bed. Any piece of equipment with a loader bucket will allow you to pull up to a bed of a truck or trailer and get flush. Then you just slide the tubs from one to the other.

It may be worth looking at buying liquid feed in bulk also so they will deliver it to you.

dieselbeef":t7xsv3p2 said:
does anyone have a good forum or a place to get a service manual for a 2017 4010 mule? even a reliable download site

I have it right now. PM me your info and I'll figure out how to send you a copy.
What problem are you having?

awesome....none really except its got a bit of a little hiccup in the fuel inj off idle. just like to have it on hand for when I need it. going to adj the cables for the diff and 4 wheel lock also. just for freeplay cuz im sure it doesn't have any

dieselbeef":9gd8ff6r said:
awesome....none really except its got a bit of a little hiccup in the fuel inj off idle. just like to have it on hand for when I need it. going to adj the cables for the diff and 4 wheel lock also. just for freeplay cuz im sure it doesn't have any

Is this the infamous "rough idle" or "running rich at idle" problem?