Just that easy... ouch!

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Last week I posted a thread about an open cow and how she was beating up on the other cows with calves. I stated she was growing wheels. She later went through the fence and I felt I was lucky she had ended up in the drive which doubled as an alley to the chute system where I load cattle. She ran up the drive and right into the chute system holding pen, no seperating her, just five minutes and a repair to the fence, she was seperated and caught up ready to load and ship....just that easy (I stated with a little boast).

Well the morning of the sale came, my wife got up early to get her chores done in time to help me load her. I got the trailer hooked up and back into spot. I tied an extra panel to the trailer and use a swing panel to push the cattle into the trailer. I usually have panels all they way to the trailer, but you guessed it I was in a hurry, and I left about a 3 foot area of just barbed wire and hot wire fence instead of setting up the panel I usally do. Yep, right through that section of fence, tore out a slightly rotted post with it, that happened to have a 16' 2x4 screwed to it that had our satellite TV cable attached to it, which was attached to another 16' 2x4 across the driveway (kept the cable off the drive). Yea, she tore the whole thing down. my wife and I chased her around the yard for a few minutes before she went through another fence into our heifer pen. 2 fences to fix, no TV until I fix the satellite system, a mad wife and I'm fix'n to get my 30-06 and drop her where she stood (the cow not my wife). My wife was in agreement, but we decided we could only make hambuger and we both wouldn't eat it out of spite. :D No way was she going to load that day so she stayed with the heifers and ate more grass and hay for another week. In the mean time I went out and bought a good hot shot.

Chapter 2: The rabbit trap

The auction yard sells on Tuesdays, so the next Monday, my son came up to help me get her caught up. I knew since she had gone through 3 fences in a short period of time she had it figured out and I wouldn't get her into the working system again. So my son and I set up a long funnel type system with 10 panels. This funneled down to my pasture gate, I could get her caught up and back the trailer to the gate and load her up. We dumped some grain at the end of the funnels system and the heifers where quick to come into our trap, the mad cow soon followed and chased the heifers out of the funnel system. The idea was to catch what we could with her included by going to the open end of the funnel system and closing it before she could get out, seperate out the heifers and have her caught and secured.... again. She would not let me get within 50 feet of her before she ran out of the funnel system and to the far end of the pasture. Now for the rabbit trap. We tied about 150 feet of rope to the end of the last panel, narrowed the opening to about 12 feet, and gave it a test by pulling it close using the rope, it was slow but seemed to work. We reset the trap hid the rope as well as we could and waited for everyone to settle down for about 1/2 an hour. We put some more grain at the end of the trap and waited at the end of the rope hiding behind my truck. She came right up to our trap and to the grain, chasing the heifers off on the way, she was in our trap alone, my son and I pulled as fast as we could, and we had her again. This time we tied the "be nice" out of everything and gave her some water and hay and waited to load her until morning. Tuesday morning, again my wife got up early, my son stayed the night to help and we were ready, my son, my wife and me and my new hot shot wanting to give her a couple extra shots just because. We used the gate as a panel and tied it to the trailer door, but just to take no chances I sunk two t-post for extra strength to the gate, my son was to simply cut the baling twine that tied the gate to the trailer door when she was loading and shut the door. So my hot shot and I entered the trap to run her into the trailer, she went full speed head first into the gate, luckly it held, she banged around the panels for about 5 minutes then gave up and ran into the trailer... we got the door closed. My gate is now shaped like a "C" and no longer fits the hole.

Fixed two fences, a satellite system and my son and I had to jump on the gate to get it straight enough to use again.... yea I'm the one who said it was just that easy. I felt like such a "wannabe" hiding behind my truck with the end of the rope, hoping to catch a crazy cow.... again.

CB, please forgive me! :D She did bring 52. cwt at 1200lbs.

Alan

I don't feel so bad now. It sounds like us trying to load a momma cow up to take to the vet, chasing the calf that squirted through a fence. I always tell my husband we look like the Keystone Cops.

Look on the bright side, no one got hurt!

I have been waiting for a followup ever since i read "just that easy." I thought "dont count your chickens before they hatch" as i read the original post with a chuckle. I never thought about hooking the satellite on a cow before...

Things I have done to crazy cows.

Chase on a horse until they can just barely walk. Rope them and drag them in the pen.

Chase with Jeep until tired making sure to keep them away from fences. Rope and drag to pen.

Chase with tractor until tired. Rope and drag to pen.

Chase with Jeep and tractor until tired. Drive behind as they head very slowly to the pen. They just gave up.

Probably the stupidest thing I ever did was run one down on a horse and bull dog her. She had horns about 12-18 inches on both sides and weighed about 1000 pounds. I jumped off the horse on her, grabbed her horns, twisted until I flipped her, put a rope on her, tied her to my brothers horse and drug her to the pen. I was 18 and bullet proof (I thought).

bwwahahahahaaha! been there done that.

sorry dude just brings back memorys of all the trouble ya gotta go thru to ''trick'' a cow into a trailer.

vs_cattle":1ajhxe9c said:
Well At Least Its All Over Now
- Isaac V

I am curious what the packer went through to kill her. I bet here's another story here.

I can't begin to tell you how familar that sounds. I think I finally dispatched my last crazy cow. They can really p___ a person off.

Alan,

I hate to hear you had such a terrible time with that crazy cow but i sure am glad to hear i am not the only one who had about the same problem you did. :)

My problem started last Tuesday when i decided to load up 3 heifers that i had been feeding through the winter to put with my bull this Spring.

Well actually my wife and daughter had been feeding them their grain. And the only contact i had with them was when i would set them a round bale of hay out every few days. My wife and daughter bragged and bragged on how gentle they were getting and how they could pet them when they were eating their grain. I thought that was great that they would all 3 have a gentle disposition. :lol:

The only thing was every time i set a bale of hay out i noticed little # 27 would head to the other end of the pasture and stare at me with the deer in the head lights look.

I ask my wife about that a couple of times through the winter and she said that she was just not use to me but assured me that she was a gentle heifer. :roll:

Well last Tuesday morning i backed the trailer up to the catch pen. Me and the wife opened up the gate to the pen and put a little feed out to entice them into the pen. And 2 heifers walked right in like they was suppose to. Little # 27 runs to the other end of the pasture. :( The wife explains to me that she is just not use to me. So i get out of the way so that the wife can show me how it is done. And #27 nearly goes over the back fence.

I told the wife that we wold load the 2 we had caught and when we can catch #27 we would take her to the sale barn. So that is what we done.

That night while i was watching TV the wife & daughter comes in bragging on how they had caught #27 in the catch pen. And continues to explain to me how she is just not use to me. ;-) And that in the morning which was this morning the day of the sale. That we would go load her up and take her and put her with the bull. :( So i told the little woman it sounded like a plan to me.

So this morning i backed the trailer up. #27 runs to the other end of the pen and starts head butting the pannels, tring to jump over them, etc, etc, :roll: So me and the little woman gets in the pen and walk down one side to ease her into the alley way. The whole time # 27 is going crazy. But she does finally run into the alley way. Me and the wife takes a couple steps toward her to run her into the trailer. But # 27 decides different. She charges me and i barely get up on the pannels as she is giving me a little boost by head butting me and tring to knock me off the fence. While i am hollowering at my wife to get out of the pen. :shock: At that time my wife is climbing the pannels herself and # 27 turns and runs for her head butting the pannels and fence where my wife was at. :shock:

Well i am still in shock at what just happened and my wife begins to tell me in a not very lady like manner that that crazy S.O.B #*&^%$@ heifer was going to the sale barn. :lol: Like i had not already decided that.

So i called two friends up to come over and help me get her in the trailer. When they got there i handed both of them a club and told them to be careful that this heifer was crazy. :roll:

They begin to start making fun of me and tell me at how my only problem was that i was getting old and could not load a cow by myself any more. ;-) I thought yeah right. 8) These two young bucks did not no more than get into the pen until that heifer put both of them over the fence. 8) That was funny, instead of using the clubs i give them they throwed them over the fence in front of them as they followed them across.

But all is well tonight. :lol: Little # 27 has a new home and the wife just called and said she picked up the check from the sale barn. So everyone is happy now. :lol:

Have you boys never heard of Aspirins?
All you need to do is put 1 aspirin per 100 lbs in its feed or 5 gal. of water and within an hour your problem is solved.
SL

Sir Loin":dh7yiunj said:
Have you boys never heard of Aspirins?
All you need to do is put 1 aspirin per 100 lbs in its feed or 5 gal. of water and within an hour your problem is solved.
SL

Okay, I'll bite. What magic does the asprin do?

Cuz

dun":3qtb3cnv said:
CUZ":3qtb3cnv said:

Cuz

Releives pain and reduces swelling

dun

Based on SL's comment I'm not sure I could eat 100 pounds of feed or drink a 5 gallon bucket of water (You can call me a Wuss) in an hour to get the pain relief I'm sure I'd need it for the swelling though. :)

Cuz

PS You crack me up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CUZ":1vyemq7i said:
dun":1vyemq7i said:
CUZ":1vyemq7i said:

Cuz

dun

Based on SL's comment I'm not sure I could eat 100 pounds of feed or drink a 5 gallon bucket of water (You can call me a Wuss) in an hour to get the pain relief I'm sure I'd need it for the swelling though. :)

Cuz

Just for clarity, that's per 100 pounds of animal body weight. I don;t think that the waer dal would be particularly effective since it would take a w hile for the animal to drink 5 gallons in most cases. But aspirin in a handful of grain they'll scarf right up.

dun

dun":2s7h81ke said:
CUZ":2s7h81ke said:
dun":2s7h81ke said:
CUZ":2s7h81ke said:

Cuz

dun

Cuz

Just for clarity, that's per 100 pounds of animal body weight. I don;t think that the waer dalwould be particularly effective since it would take a w hile for the animal to drink 5 gallons in most cases. But aspirin in a handful of grain they'll scarf right up.

dun
HUH???????????

TheNewb":3780p3qi said:
dun":3780p3qi said:
CUZ":3780p3qi said:
dun":3780p3qi said:
CUZ":3780p3qi said:

Cuz

dun

Cuz

Just for clarity, that's per 100 pounds of animal body weight. I don;t think that the waer dalwould be particularly effective since it would take a w hile for the animal to drink 5 gallons in most cases. But aspirin in a handful of grain they'll scarf right up.

dun
HUH???????????

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'm completly lost also.... I'm assume it will help the crazy cows calm down????????? Sounds a little like BS, but I'm the guy hiding behind my truck to wait for a crazy cow so I can spring the rabbit trap.

Alan

Latest posts