Just got land

Help Support CattleToday:

JMarceaux

Reaction score
So my wife and I were able to buy 160 acres in Louisiana recently. we bought the land for $2500 per acre which i feel is a decent price. Unfortunately, the land is overgrown with water oaks and tallow trees. I am looking to raise cattle on the land eventually and have plenty of time to get it ready as I have 5 years left to serve in the Army. I look forward to getting advice from the board as we move forward. I am running home this weekend to mark where the road will go in at. My dad will be bringing his bulldozer so I hope to have some pictures to show after this weekend. I have so many questions and have spent a lot of time reading this board. I am very much looking forward to my family operating a cattle ranch in the old fashion. Between my wife ( who is also an Apache pilot in the Army) we have spent 7 years in Iraq and Afghanistan and I know we are up to this challenge. Looking forward to all the good advice we will get from the folks on this board.

Thanks for your service. I like your wife already I Love watching the Apache vids on youtube lighting stuff up.

:welcome: Thanks for you all's service... I wish you all the luck with your endeavor and look forward to your future posts and pics.

Congrats on buying some land and good luck getting it cleared fenced and ready to put cattle on it. Thanks for y'all service.

God bless you and your family for serving and allowing to serve.
I'm on the other side of the ditch here in Louisiana near BTR.
You've got some great folks in cattle around you and Mcneese is a great Ag school and department right there.
Best of luck to you both.

Congrats, thank you, and best of luck!!
Sounds to me you will do just fine. Can't wait for the pics and updates on the progress!!

Welcome to the Cattle Boards and thank you to you and your wife for your service to our country.

JMarceaux":20qbrevo said:
So my wife and I were able to buy 160 acres in Louisiana recently. we bought the land for $2500 per acre which i feel is a decent price. Unfortunately, the land is overgrown with water oaks and tallow trees.
:welcome:
Congrats on the land and thanks for/to you and your better half for your military service.

Good luck with the Tallow/Chicken/Popcorn trees. A dozer will take them out, for about 8 weeks, then every seed in the ground and every root segment will sprout a new tallow tree. btdt.
Learn all you can about Grazon and Remedy herbicides--you will need both. Maybe you can "borrow" an Apache for a day and aerial spray the whole 160 acres.

So here is the odd thing,,, it is mostly oak trees, I couldn't believe that a oak would beat out a tallow tree but it did. It was a little too wet to get the dozer in this weekend unfortunately.

JMarceaux":1kc3pane said:
So here is the odd thing,,, it is mostly oak trees, I couldn't believe that a oak would beat out a tallow tree but it did. It was a little too wet to get the dozer in this weekend unfortunately.
That's because the oaks were there first.
Tallows are one of those oddities in nature. It won't germinate or grow well in the shade of other trees. Once the oaks are gone, you can expect thousands of tallow seeds to germinate as the soil gets direct sunlight.

My place was forest until 2008. Pine. oak, gum and just a very few mature tallow trees. When I cleared it, within 2 years, I had a fledgling tallow forest. It's been a fight, and always will be.

Greybeard,

Is that with cattle grazing on it or has it been left alone since you cleared it? I would think that Bahia would choke out any kind of tree growth if you kept it mowed,,, I've lived in Temple but I'm unfamiliar with the land around Cleveland.

Your area and mine are very similar. I lived in Lafayette area for nearly 20 years and drilled some oil wells near Ragly and Dequincy. Geology and plant life are almost identical to mine except my area tends to be flatter.

Both our areas, at one time were part of a vast longleaf pine forest that ranged from Mississippi to about 60 miles west of me. It was different than what we see now. No brush under the pines--no direct sunlight fell on the forest floor and historical accounts say it was like walking in a well manicured but huge park. Trees spaced out 30-50' apart and the ground a carpet of fallen needles.

When the timber companies moved in during the late 1800s and very early 1900s, they clear cut all the old growth longleaf, then replanted with the much faster growing yellow or loblolly pine. In the interim, invasive plants had a chance to get established since sunlight now go thru. That's also how all the sweetgum and oak got established and later, the tallow.

No, I know of no forage that will choke out a tallow seedling. They are the the top of the plant life food chain for your area and mine. Only thing that comes close is sweetgum in our areas. You can mow them tallows from now till the end of time and you won't kill a single one. Cut one down, and the stump will sprout out a dozen saplings within one growing season, and those are the very hardest to get rid of. Frill cut and spray a mature tallow at the wrong time of year, and the tree will die, but it's root system will send up 1/2 dozen new ones to take it's place within a 20 yard radius of that now dead tree. Cut it with a chainsaw in spring or early summer, sap will push off any Tordon you treat the stump with, meaning the stump will not die and neither will the roots. (You want to do the cut stump treatment in very early fall, before the leaves begin to turn colors--Sept-Oct and you will need to apply the herbicide within minutes of cutting or frilling)
I'll try to get a few pics tomorrow of a couple I "killed" back in early spring this year.

And yes, I had cattle grazing mine most of the time since I cleared the land, but kept them in the wooded areas for several months while my bahia and bermuda was establishing. The invasives however, sprouted up within weeks of clearing the land, and even moreso after I tilled the new ground.

GB,

That is invaluable info, thank you. Words I got from a guy was that you could take a swing at a tallow with a machete and spray some 2D4 in it and be good to go,, from what you're saying that might not be the case. I brushed up on my geography and realized that Cleveland was right down the road, I remember it seemed like the people were transplanted there from Opelousas based on all the french names I saw.

I acknowledge that when you say the timber companies moved in that you mean Yankees !

I'm sure I'll have a hundred other things to ask you in the future, thanks again.

Latest posts