Just got land

Help Support CattleToday:

JM,

Google Texas Department of Agriculture Brush Busters Tallows. It will tell you everything you need to know about getting rid of Tallows. Yes, it is a lot of work.
Been there and done that.

Good luck,
Farmgirl

Words I got from a guy was that you could take a swing at a tallow with a machete and spray some 2D4 in it and be good to go,, from what you're saying that might not be the case.

It's called frill treatment or girdle treatment.
A 6" diameter (or larger) tallow tree takes more than one cut. I try for at least 3 different slashes around the tree. One cut will result in the foliage on that side of the tree dying, while the rest of the tree and it's root system continues to grow.
If you have lots of big trees, and you have the time to do so before dozing, I recommend you frill treat the big seed makers about 1 month (or more) before dozing the trees down. Probably not what you want to hear, and it may not be necessary if your dozer operator has a good root-rake for his machine. No matter tho, the seeds are long lived in the soil (years) and the tallow will be an ongoing fight for a long long time.
But, you are miles ahead if you can at least get rid of any tree mature enough to produce seeds.

Your nearest information asset is going to be McNeese University. Outside my range and state of course but I have read lots of good articles and in-field work they've done on S La invasives and agriculture in general.

Do lots of research--there are plenty of websites regarding tallow trees.
I'm going to try some Imazamox on them later in the year. It was originally an aquatic plant herbicide but Fla and La have had good luck with it on tallow trees.

Ok, I think that is good advice. From what I've seen there is about 30 or 40 acres ate up with tallow trees with the rest being water oaks. I think next time I go in there I'll try and frill the bigger ones. My dad has a smaller dressta dozer but I have a uncle who may sell me his CAT D6 with root rake. We cut a road in last weekend by hand big enough for a 4 wheeler,, now the priority is keeping the local kids from rutting up everything. Posted signs aren't working as well as I had hoped.

Grey beard,

What kind of cows are you running over there and do you find it necessary to keep brimmer in your herd? Everybody in S LA does but I don't know if I need to in Beauregard Parish.

No--not all eared cattle by any means.
Got 2 different breeds here at my place. Beefmaster and a Char herd.
Plenty of the black and red "annointed by God hisself" cattle in this area as well.

Latest posts