Just checking in . . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Haven't been here much lately; I watch but haven't had any really exciting news.

Snowing today, and the temps have been below freezing for 10 days or so. I was squalking a month ago that I was still picking tomatoes and tired of messing with them. I won't squalk next year.

We had July-August calves this year, and they are all different, but all nice. I wasn't on top of things after calving for AI, so we have a nice leased bull-on-the-hoof. British White, good clean bull that doesn't challenge fences or us, and is doing his job.

Hubby got a deer license this year, as the critters are always here. Nice big buck disappeared for the season, but day after it closed, he was eating and sleeping under our fruit trees 30 yds. from the house. 60+ head of elk came through on Veterans Day, early in the day. Took out sections of 6 of 8 of the neighbor's fencelines, but ours were spared. Soon-to-be daughter-in-law got her first elk that morning, on her way into work. Love the elk, but they do play helll on the fences.

All our winter hay is in the barn. Still hoping to clean out one end of our big cattle/hay barn for winter shelter. I think it can be done yet. We applied for and rec'd a grant from our local Conservation District to upgrade our irrigation system for 2015. They pay half, not to exceed $4K on their end to do that; we figure that'll cover about 1/3 of what we need to do. Better by far than a kick in the arss. Kittitas County hay growers are pinched right now, as port strikes in Seattle and Portland are affecting export transport. Could turn into a big deal, economy wise, here.

Slaughtered 3 steers 11/07, and two more 11/19, for our custom order folks. Hanging weights ran 612 - 790 lbs. Not all bred the same way, but carcasses were good.

Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving.
Hope all of you are well. Keep up with some of you on other social media. Happy holidays to all.

Nice to hear from you kathie, you guys have a happy thanksgiving and please keep the snow on your side of the hill this winter. :tiphat:

Alan

Latest posts