Jogeephus you inspired this

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
I read your story about your heeler in the blind. I thought about you as one of the few storywriters on CT. I have posted some stories. They all have an underlying truth. But I wonder why I get negative reactions. I thought I would be so bold as to present a story that might give an insight into where I have been. Where you have been makes you who you are.

I was born in 1950. My mom and dad are depression babies. They grew up with the constant fear of economic failure. We were extremely poor. When I announced my intentions of going to college, dad was opposed. We were in the tobacco patch one day, and I was talking about going to college. I probably said something like, "I'll be damed if I am going to do this for a living." He said I wanted to go to college because I was lazy. He said I won't give you one red penny, you are too dam dumb to go to college. It only strengthened my resolve. He cursed me to the point that I said to myself, "I hate that SOB and I will go to college if I have to live on nothing but peanut butter and crackers." I look back and realize he suffered from the anxiety of raising 5 children on a farm that produced a gross income of about $2500 a year. When I went to college in 1968, we did not have indoor plumbing in the farm house. We carried water from a well where you pumped it with a hand pump into buckets. The water bucket set on a stand in the corner of the kitchen and everyone used a common tin dipper to get a drink.

When I went off to college, I rarely came home. Other kids flocked home on week-ends, I stayed on campus thinking it was like staying at the Copacabana. In the summers, I worked on a pig farm that had 600 brood sows. There, I met Kenneth Harper. The first time I sat down to one of their bountiful meals, Kenneth ask me if I wanted another piece of ham. I was too proud to say yes. I said, "I don't know." He said, "If you don't know, I sure don't." When we went outside, he put his arm on my shoulder and he said, Bert, in this life if you want something, you better ask for it, because if you don't, you are going to miss a lot in life. Kenneth taught me lessons. Rules to live by. Kenneth had more complexity in his lessons than dad. He gave me more appreciation of the benefits of being competitive and taking care of your needs. Being selfish if you had to be. He was kind and good but he was pragmatic. He lectured about the nonsense of being bashful. When everyone else was teaching humility and humbleness, Kenneth was on a different crusade. Kenneth and I would work all day together. He would talk and tell me stories. He would put his children on other tasks while he and I worked and talked. - When I returned to Kentucky from being out west for 33 years, I found out Kenneth was still living but he suffered a bad stroke. I have not gone to visit him.

When I came home after getting my Master's Degree, I was in the barn during a summer rain talking to my Uncle. I was trying to not sound educated. He knew it right off. He told me something I shall always remember. He said never dumb yourself down to another man's level. He said it is the biggest insult you can inflict on any man. My Uncle had a 6th grade education but he wanted to be talked to straight up.

Tell us more. I'm not far removed from carrying spring water, going outside to shyt, and eating supper cooked with wood.

Inyati....I for one, enjoy your stories! I like to hear stories of the hardships in country folks childhoods..or of their parents and grandparents childhoods.
I believe we should all never forget where we came from, and the stories told by our elders of the bad-times are priceless gifts to a younger generation.

inyati13":3r5wjt7j said:
I hate that SOB

Are you my brother? Felt the same way the day I graduated high school and was told I had two weeks to get find my own way. Ya'll are familiar with a bawling calf as it is being shipped off? That was me. Man did I hate him. It was hard too but its the best thing he ever did for me.

There's a great deal of lessons being forgotten every day as generations pass.
Inyati, glean every bit you can while you can. And don't be afraid to share either

hooknline":wqsohh6f said:
Inyati, glean every bit you can while you can. And don't be afraid to share either
Afraid? Are you shytting me? ;-)

Ouachita":30xivypm said:
hooknline":30xivypm said:
Afraid? Are you shytting me? ;-)
That was sarcasm on a phone

inyati13":2vvt6k0u said:
He told me something I shall always remember. He said never dumb yourself down to another man's level. He said it is the biggest insult you can inflict on any man. My Uncle had a 6th grade education but he wanted to be talked to straight up.

You don't necessarily have to "dumb it down" but it certainly helps when you're teaching to get it down on a level where information can be absorbed otherwise you're just fooling yourself...it's going about 4 feet over his head and you walk away thinking "I really taught him". I was always taught to speak where people can comprehend what you're saying which often means to keep it simple. Not dumb but simple enough even a child can understand and learn. ;-)

TexasBred":33kxk154 said:
inyati13":33kxk154 said:
He told me something I shall always remember. He said never dumb yourself down to another man's level. He said it is the biggest insult you can inflict on any man. My Uncle had a 6th grade education but he wanted to be talked to straight up.

You don't necessarily have to "dumb it down" but it certainly helps when you're teaching to get it down on a level where information can be absorbed otherwise you're just fooling yourself...it's going about 4 feet over his head and you walk away thinking "I really taught him". I was always taught to speak where people can comprehend what you're saying which often means to keep it simple. Not dumb but simple enough even a child can understand and learn. ;-)
I agree. We are not as far apart as you might think Richard.

jasonleonard":100ik0bk said:
Inyati....I for one, enjoy your stories! I like to hear stories of the hardships in country folks childhoods..or of their parents and grandparents childhoods.
I believe we should all never forget where we came from, and the stories told by our elders of the bad-times are priceless gifts to a younger generation.
I have been told I need to write down my escapades as a farm kid to pass to my Grandgirl. Thinking maybe I should. Need a new keyboard first I am about to throw this one in the creek...

inyati13":17jvhqxx said:
My Uncle had a 6th grade education but he wanted to be talked to straight up.

One of the smartest men I ever knew what right there with your uncle. The man read all the time. Three newspapers every day plus what ever else he could get his hands on. He knew things no one had an interest in knowing.

6th grade was only on paper. His knowledge extended farther than most MENSA members I know.

backhoeboogie":1hfht0fy said:
inyati13":1hfht0fy said:
My Uncle had a 6th grade education but he wanted to be talked to straight up.

One of the smartest men I ever knew what right there with your uncle. The man read all the time. Three newspapers every day plus what ever else he could get his hands on. He knew things no one had an interest in knowing.

6th grade was only on paper. His knowledge extended farther than most MENSA members I know.
He was William Emerson Mitchell. WWII vet. Infantry. He left the west coast on a troup carrier headed for the South Pacific. He hit several of the South Pacific Islands on his way to Japan. I enjoyed his stories always with a measure of exaggeration to make them interesting. He was also very funny. He is a legend in our big family. He was part of the planned invasion of Japan when the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He landed after the atomic attach. I learned to count to 10 in Japanese by hearing him. I remember something like, "Mesoo hieacco" meaning get me water in a hurry. When he came home from the war, his wife had left Kentucky and gone to Arizona with a bus driver and his only child, Nancy. The best shot I have ever seen. He knew ballistics as well as any projectile engineer. Could quote you the ft.lbs and muzzle velocity of all his favorite cartridges. He was the first person in my life that I heard E=MV squared. He was always quoting the things he read. For those That think I believe that only someone with a certificate is intelligent. You are so wrong. My uncle with the 6 th education was a genius. Everyone in the family knew it. But he had his demons. I mentioned on here in response to cowpunk that he might be correct that I should warn my friends that I am mentally ill. Well Uncle Bill is who I was talking about. My mother was returning home from school when she was about 11. A man tried to abuse her. This was in Newport ky. My uncle hide out in a brick yard with two bricks in his hands intent on taking care of that guy once and forever. My grandfather got home and they told him where Bill was at. My uncle had the guy down with his knees on his shoulders. Ready to crush his head in with a brick. My grandfather got there just in time.

CKC1586":31pv2mcx said:
jasonleonard":31pv2mcx said:
I have been told I need to write down my escapades as a farm kid to pass to my Grandgirl. Thinking maybe I should. Need a new keyboard first I am about to throw this one in the creek...

Would be nice if your kids, grandkids etc. are the kind that would love to sit down and just listen to you retell them. Then you can write them down also and leave something to bring smiles for years to come. Always loved to listen to my dad and grandpa tell about times they lived through.

TexasBred":1nohtadr said:
Always loved to listen to my dad and grandpa tell about times they lived through.

Hiding out back of the dominoe hall was a real treat when I was a kid.

backhoeboogie":1p93l0sy said:
TexasBred":1p93l0sy said:
Always loved to listen to my dad and grandpa tell about times they lived through.

Hiding out back of the dominoe hall was a real treat when I was a kid.

Probably picked up a good portion of your vocabulary there too. :shock:

inyati13":j0jt6hom said:
Where you have been makes you who you are.
I gleefully disagree. :D
Who you were was the path to poverty. Who you are brought you out of it. I'll agree that most people never break patterns that they learned in early life but the people that do can soar.
I get really sad and angry when I hear people that are victims of their own situations turning other people into victims. I know a ton of exceptionally intelligent people who lose tons of money by working for mid level wages when they are capable of making millions but their mindset is that they are only worth mid level wages and that they have to work for someone else instead of running their own business because that's what their parents did and so that's what they learned that life should be like.

cow pollinater":hvotbnu5 said:
inyati13":hvotbnu5 said:
Where you have been makes you who you are.
I gleefully disagree. :D
Who you were was the path to poverty. Who you are brought you out of it. I'll agree that most people never break patterns that they learned in early life but the people that do can soar.
I get really sad and angry when I hear people that are victims of their own situations turning other people into victims. I know a ton of exceptionally intelligent people who lose tons of money by working for mid level wages when they are capable of making millions but their mindset is that they are only worth mid level wages and that they have to work for someone else instead of running their own business because that's what their parents did and so that's what they learned that life should be like.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Latest posts