Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

I am fairly certain it's a scam. The research on it was done in China funded by, guess who? - the New Zealand Dairy Council. They are really working it because the public is led to believe believe it's better. People are even sending perfectly good dairy cows to slaughter because they are A1A2 or A1A1. Almost all the AI dairy bulls now are A2A2. Maybe it's not so much about lactose intolerance but for people who don't digest milk well and it gives them upset stomachs.

When you pinch it off by hand, you have to "break the suction/seal" around the teat also... so the inflation releases.
Needle nose type vice grips...
What FarmerJan said ^.
Vice grips with tape on them is the same concept as milk shut off clamps. You can adjust the pressure lighter on vice grips which is why I used them. Made it easier and was gentle enough on the lines to not do any damage.

This morning's milking was amazing. Honeydew was waiting at the pasture gate, came in nicely and let me put on all 4 inflations at once. Milk was actually dripping she let down so well. Only a couple of stepping around episodes.

Daphne the old cow stood at her head ruminating, she has always been Honeydews 'Duena' This is Spanish for chaperone 'A chaperone in its original social usage was a person who for propriety's sake accompanied an unmarried girl in public; usually she was an older married woman, and most commonly the girl's own mother. In modern social usage, a chaperon or chaperone is a responsible adult who accompanies and supervises young people.'

Not only that, Honeydew allowed me to walk all around and not hold on to the the Surge bucket. And she, too, was ruminating. By pinching off the air hose the inflations just slip right off. Then, she waited until I said Back Back to exit the stanchion. Have the fairys exchanged her for a different cow? My husband is still there in case she acts up and he pulls the flank rope tight. She gave 3.5 gallons.

This morning's milking was amazing. Honeydew was waiting at the pasture gate, came in nicely and let me put on all 4 inflations at once. Milk was actually dripping she let down so well. Only a couple of stepping around episodes.

Daphne the old cow stood at her head ruminating, she has always been Honeydews 'Duena' This is Spanish for chaperone 'A chaperone in its original social usage was a person who for propriety's sake accompanied an unmarried girl in public; usually she was an older married woman, and most commonly the girl's own mother. In modern social usage, a chaperon or chaperone is a responsible adult who accompanies and supervises young people.'

Not only that, Honeydew allowed me to walk all around and not hold on to the the Surge bucket. And she, too, was ruminating. By pinching off the air hose the inflations just slip right off. Then, she waited until I said Back Back to exit the stanchion. Have the fairys exchanged her for a different cow? My husband is still there in case she acts up and he pulls the flank rope tight. She gave 3.5 gallons.
Awesome! Way to stick with it. I know it was all new to her. A lot to be said for a nice gentle cow.

It was all new to me too, I was as nervous and jumpy as she was with this milking machine. My only experience-I milked old Daphne with a bucket and made cheese. You cannot hand milk these modern Jerseys with milking machine teats, or it's thumb and forefinger. This machine hangs under their belly by a strap and is known as the mechanical calf. You can imagine the excitement.
100_2507.JPG
Here is her milk. Look at the cream line. This is this morning's production with Surge milker in the background. I need more bottle heifers. I have a friend who's relative owns a dairy. Maybe I could get 1 or 2 more heifers from him.

100_2503.JPG

If you can get some bull calves, for something more reasonable than the going prices right now, raise them up to 400 lbs, wean them, sell them . If the dairy has twin bulls or twins that are mixed bull/heifer... you might be able to get them more reasonable...they are bringing in the 150-250 range here for calves that are under the 80 lb range... the 85-125 lb ones are in the $5.00/lb range here... and higher...
Even jersey feeder calves, bulls or steers, are bringing up near the 1.75 range at 400 lbs... used to be you were lucky to get .50-.70/lb....
He//, the milk is "free" ... you gotta feed it to something since she is producing it...
Or start raising a litter of pigs...

A2A2 is not a scam. The milk is supposed to be more digestible... not lactose based but it has to do with the beta caesin protein. I know people that have switched to the A2A2 milk and NOT had the stomach aches or such that they had with "regular milk" that is A1 type. The A2 types are the same as what is found in goats milk... and many times a baby that cannot digest "regular milk or milk formulas" can digest goats milk... some of that is the natural homogenization of goats milk compared to cow's milk... but there have been some comparisons with switching to A2A2 and it still being more digestible by babies.
This is the same as saying that soy protein milk replacer is no different than all milk, milk replacer... some calves can digest it, but many/most cannot as little babies...
Sure alot of the studies have been done by companies and producers of the A2A2 milk producing cows... partly because many times the conventional trains of thought POOH/POOH it and won't even give it consideration...

No, not a fairy exchange of cows.... she gets the relief of the milk pressure, and the reward of some grain, and isn't "scared" of things... using Daphne as a calming influence was what was needed and it worked... Plus, she "gets it" that there are consequences if she gets dancing and kicking with the rope... and I am sure that the edema is going down so she is not too sore.....

I have not had time for shopping for 2 extra calves. For the last week I've also been busy putting in a vineyard and I'm tired and all stove up. Maybe I can finish planting today. Then I'll go visit my friend who's family member owns a local dairy. Two years ago when I bought Honeydew a bottle calf from a dairy she cost $300. We thought it was because of covid everybody was becoming a survivalist

My husband is lactose intolerant because when he takes a lactase pill before imbibing he's fine. So A2A2 is not going to make any difference.