JD 556 Round Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a JD 556, or similar 5x5 baler, but have a few questions for those of you on here that put up round bales. I live in Southern Oregon where the big square is king, but they take a minimum of 150 horse to run. I have a JD 5500 tractor (75hp) and would rather not buy a new tractor also.

So, is a 75hp tractor large enough to operate a 5x5 properly? Or should I be looking for a 4x5? I am just going to be putting up hay for my own cows as the custom hire amount is killing me. (currently it costs $50/ton to get in a bale)

Thanks

75hp is enough.
JD website claimed the min horsepower for a 5x6 was 75.

id feel better pulling a 5 by 6 baler with a 85hp tractor.you can pull a 5 by 5 or a 4 by 6 with your tractor.

I would give some serious thought to what kind of things you'll need to do differently by making a 4 wide bale vs a 4 wide. I make a 5X6 and really like them exce[t when it
s time to put them on a trailer and haul them. There are road hauling concerns but for us it's more the gate and maneuvring that needs to be done when hauling them.

KT: I am a bit confused by your post. You can do it cheaper than $50, or is $50 a good price in your part of the world.

Another thing has come to mind regarding the "used" part of the baler equation...From all the information I can gather "most" balers start to have some significant troubles around 8,000-10,000 bales (from what I have been able to read, I have no experience either way)

If we are going to be looking at 500-600 bales/yr, would it be better to look for a newer baler? To keep from having the big one too soon?

Latest posts