JD 5525

Help Support CattleToday:

GA Farm Boy

Reaction score
I have a John Deere 5525 and when I first crank it up after it has set for a couple of days it will idle up and then it acts like it is starving for fuel for a minute. Sometimes it will even shut down. When this happens if I open the air bleeder on the fuel filter and re-prime it will crank up and run fine. I was told that the check valve in the fuel line was letting fuel seep back threw to the tank from the top of the filter so I changed it and the fuel line out. It seems to have helped the problem some, but definitely not fixed it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

I believe the fuel tank is rather high up on that tractor. The next time you are going to park the tractor for a duration fill the fuel tank lipping full. For the fuel to leak back, the level of fuel in the tank has to be lower than the fuel lines and the associated fuel filter components. The system acts somewhat like a water level. With the tank full the fuel cannot leak uphill. With the tank full the problem should disappear if the problem is the check valve not working. Air would also have to be getting in the fuel system somewhere from an injector back to the check valve. Look for a wet damp spot from fuel in the fuel delivery lines/components. If you have a black light the fuel will effervese if viewed in the dark.

I have a friend who has one and he has done everything short of installing an electric pump which I think he has decided to do. Just too far from the pump to the tank.

GA Farm Boy":1kxmpgjn said:
I have a John Deere 5525 and when I first crank it up after it has set for a couple of days it will idle up and then it acts like it is starving for fuel for a minute. Sometimes it will even shut down. When this happens if I open the air bleeder on the fuel filter and re-prime it will crank up and run fine. I was told that the check valve in the fuel line was letting fuel seep back threw to the tank from the top of the filter so I changed it and the fuel line out. It seems to have helped the problem some, but definitely not fixed it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fuel filters. Expensive fuel filters. I don't have the same model, but i have a tier II engine, I think. Your symptoms sound like mine. Fuel filters always solve the problem.

I have a 5525 and there are times where it just doesn't seem to be getting fuel. I usually see it when I'm not at full throttle and pulling a load like a wagon or trailer. I talked to the dealer and they recommended changing filters. That has helped, but on rare occasion it still does it. It may just not be the best designed fuel system.

lucky7chief":2o7qubby said:
It may just not be the best designed fuel system.
I'll drink to that! Had a 5510 that if you were anywhere near a half a tank and started up a hill it would run out of fuel.

I have a 5420 and the only fuel problem so far has been a plugged up vent line. It has a check valve in it also, and it's mounted in the tank under the slow moving vehicle sign.

I had the same problem with my 5525 going down the road it would act like it was running out of fuel. Dealer found out it was one of the fuel lines coming apart on the inside. Replaced the fuel lines and the problem went away. But I too, have the same problem after sitting a few days.

Some models of the 5525 have an inline fuel filter "hidden" under the tractor between the fuel tank and engine that we have found to be the cause for many ghost problems .. Can make tractor hard to start or "starve" for fuel even after changing engine filters and thinking you had eliminated a fuel filter problem.

The fuel gauge on my 5210 just went out. Mechanic said it was in the cluster and about $500 for parts alone. Since all the other gauges work I'll just leave it be for now. If it gets close to a quarter tank I have the same problems when going uphill. I always try and keep at least a half tank in it. It's been a great tractor other than that. I really like using it to move and stack hay.

KW

I had a 5325 for several years and had this issue. I traced it back to the hidden fuel filter under the platform. In my case I had gotten some bad fuel and was growing algae in the tank. The hidden filter caught it first and plugged up. Changed the filter, drained and treated the tank.....no more problems. The 5325 and 5525 are built on the same frame, just different motors, this is likely the culprit.

Latest posts