JD 5065

Help Support CattleToday:

bmcdonald

Reaction score
I have a JD 5065e 4x4 recently purchased, I looking for a rotary cutter 10ft and bigger. So I talked to a guy with a mx10 3 point, and he believes the mx10 is to much mower for 5065e. What are yall thoughts?

A quick glance at the specs and your a little small. Your tractor has about 49 horsepower at the pto. The e is not a heavy tractor either. You probably need to be looking at tow behind mowers if you want to go 10'.

To much wagon for your mule in thick grass. Probably 7'10" 3-point max and that will be a load. Also on that tractor with the lack of weight it could even get side lite while transporting.

Last edited:
I agree, that is a lot of cutter for a tractor that size. If it has to be a 10' cutter, I would suggest going with a pull-type cutter. But I would look closely at the pto hp required for the cutter. The 5065e only has 49 or 53 hp at the pto (depending on whether it is a cab or rops.) The recommended minimum for the MX 10 3-pt is 60 hp.

I agree, that is a lot of cutter for a tractor that size. If it has to be a 10' cutter, I would suggest going with a pull-type cutter. But I would look closely at the pto hp required for the cutter. The 5065e only has 49 or 53 hp at the pto (depending on whether it is a cab or rops.) The recommended minimum for the MX 10 3-pt is 60 hp.
Is the 60 hp minimum is that pto or engine hp?

Your tractor would pull it if you were clipping pasture but not in any heavy overgrown weeds and brush.

My JD 5105 gets bogged down with a 6ft bush hog in heavy stuff and I really have to slow down.

In my opinion a bush hog is the hardest piece of equipment to run and puts a lot of wear on a tractor. Having way more tractor hp than needed helps mitigate that to some extent.

Last week I ran over about 60 acres with a 12 feet batwing bush hog mostly trying out a New Holland 4630 55 PTO hp tractor I bought. The tractor pulled it good, but not much to cut. In thick grass it would be a load and probably to much of a load. I wish I had taken pictures.

A lift type on that tractor absolutely not, at least I wouldn't. I have a 5075e and run a mx7 and really thats about the heaviest brush mower im comfortable having on the back. I am on hills though. I think it would probably cut ok but would bog down in thick nasty stuff.

I've run an mx10 pull type with my 5075e and it takes all that it's got in thick stuff. I wouldn't even try it with a 3pt type. Like said above, the mx7 is great behind that size tractor. I've cut things I shouldn't have with mine more than I care to admit.
Thanks
Gary

One other thing. The mx8 and above have two gear boxes and I think you lose more hp to parasitic loss because of that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks
Gary

One other thing. The mx8 and above have two gear boxes and I think you lose more hp to parasitic loss because of that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks
Gary
They actually have (3) on most of the 8' and 10' models, (1) splitter and (2) drive boxes. That's more mass/momentum to get going each time, but more inertia to keep things going once you get it wound up.

The whole point of 3pt bush hog to me is maneuverability, and when you put one on a tractor that isn't large enough to handle the weight it becomes dangerous not only to operate in less than ideal conditions, but to load on/off a trailer, too. I had this conversation with a good friend of mine last week who recently picked up a HX10 3pt to use on his 2355 at the recommendation of the salesman, :oops:! That might cut the mustard in TX/OK, but it's not exactly flat here......

Latest posts