JD 500 or 510 Baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am looking for a baler for my uncle. He likes green paint and low prices... He bales about 350 bales a year.
Found a 500 with next to new belts and a 510 with worn belts. Both asking about the same price -- $1500.

Are these reliable models, and is there any advantage to the 510?

I do not have any personal experience with either of these balers. But, I have never heard a kind word spoken about them....lol

From what I have read, they are a bear to start a bale with at times.

I have a neighbor with a 510 that he has had forever and he gets his hay put up so they can't be all bad. But I've been told to stay away from JD's before the 30 series.

Didn't know JD made a 500. Looking thru the parts pages it appears to be much the same as the 510. We used a 410 for about 15 years (same thing as a 510 except smaller). It will bale hay just fine. Won't bale like a "newer" baler or make as tight or heavy of a bale and you can't bale near as fast as "newer" balers, but they do bale hay just the same.

I still have my old 510 but I bought a 458 last summer. The new roller has made rolling hay much easer. The old 510 will never be out of barn again unless some ones buyes it. It is just taking up room in the barn.

i have a 510 it bales heavy have bent bale spears from the bales it makes slow down it will bale heavy bales

I still have my old JD 500. It was my first round baler. I must have made a million bales with it. Had lot's of bearing failures through the years. Finally had problems with the bottom, big belt. Could keep it in track. Replaced the baler with a Vermeer 605L. It was a good baler but it had bale kicker issues. Upgraded to a New Holland BR7090. It is bad to the bone. Very few problems, tight bales, and super fast.

If you need JD 500 parts, I still have mine. I'm in Texas.

Clay

I thought those were closed throat balers and I was always told to avoid them.

claysred":2c3eij1n said:
I still have my old JD 500. It was my first round baler. I must have made a million bales with it. Had lot's of bearing failures through the years. Finally had problems with the bottom, big belt. Could keep it in track. Replaced the baler with a Vermeer 605L. It was a good baler but it had bale kicker issues. Upgraded to a New Holland BR7090. It is bad to the bone. Very few problems, tight bales, and super fast.

Clay
We have a BR780 and thinking of upgrading to the BR7090. What type of problems have you had so far? The BR780 was a headache on wheels till we replaced the rollers and with under 500 bales thru it.

vclavin":hczfgd9a said:
claysred":hczfgd9a said:

Clay
We have a BR780 and thinking of upgrading to the BR7090. What type of problems have you had so far? The BR780 was a headache on wheels till we replaced the rollers and with under 500 bales thru it.
should of been under warranty if it only had 500 bales thru it

Angus Cowman":30dzykax said:
vclavin":30dzykax said:
claysred":30dzykax said:

Clay
Nope! We bought it 1 month after it expired and had 350 bales run thru it.

vclavin":2yhw1gyd said:
Angus Cowman":2yhw1gyd said:
vclavin":2yhw1gyd said:
Nope! We bought it 1 month after it expired and had 350 bales run thru it.[/quote]
sounds kinda fishy a 2 yr old baler with only 350 bales and needing new rollers

On the NH BR7090. The computer on the right side of the baler failed. It would not turn on the twine or net motors. Opened the computer up, found 1 burned power transistor. Got the numbers off of it, ordered 4 of them and soldered them in. $2.12 fix. Works fine now. That is really the only problem I've had.
It does make alot of noise when I raise the rear gate up high enough to disengage the belts. Noise comes from the belt clutch on the left side. My dealer says it's normal.
This baler really eats hay. You can go as fast as you want. It will pull all the hay in and won't plug up. Most of the time, the net wrap works great. Every once in a while, it will only cover half of the bale. Then, on the next bale it will work fine.

Latest posts