JD 4620

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
J D 4620, good , bad or ugly? I found a nice clean one I'll take a look at next week. I think its 135 HP and only made for a few years.

I had an old 4620 with a 158 loader several years back. That heavy duty frount axel was nice for moving/loading big bales, not like a MFWD but much better than breaking the little spindles on a 4020 or similar other brand tractors.

Take the loader off a 4620 is big enough to field work with duals, and could still row crop (not the nimblest thing) if needed. Stick with factory cab, (roomy cab but dirty and noisy by todays standards.) stay away from evaporative coolers.

Not a bad tractor in its day. @

larryshoat":3g9rjut5 said:
I think they were a decent tractor, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

Larry

Thanks for y'all replies. What about parts, they were only made from 1971-72. The HP would really be good with the work i need to do this year.

jedstivers":33s62sx9 said:
I don't think parts would be a problem as tractors from that era used lots of the same. What about a 540 PTO? I don't know weather they have both sizes or just 1000.

Not for sure Jed but i'll find out in a day or so.
Hmmm, got to do some more thinking on this.

I am working at this time on a 4630 that spun a main bearing . It belongs to my neighbor that bought the tractor new. I do not know what parts these two tractors share but I will tell you the parts for the 4630 are expensive and some parts are hard to source without going to JD. John Deere no longer provides a new oil pump nor a rebuild kit. The only choice is for a rebuilt by JD oil pump that goes for over $750 without a usable core. I managed to get an out of frame Clevite overhaul kit for $1170. Machine shop work on this fix were done by a friend for $742. That was for turning the crank, a head job and a line bore on the block. To me, this was cheap. This tractor has ~11000 hours and this is the second engine rebuild according to the owner. He had a major drivetrain failure at around 8000 hours and the JD repair bill was over $15000. Prior to this recent failure he has spent more than $22000 at JD for major mechanical failure repairs. If it were mine I would have sent the tractor to the thicket. JD quoted a low of $12000 to a high of $15,000 for the current fix. This tractor is a 1000 RPM PTO also.

I believe the 4520 and the 4620 are the same but the 4520 did not have a turbo and the 4620 did have a turbo . A down side was the 1000 only pto but we used an adapter and was ok but not the best for the equipment . They are a big tough piece of iron .The power was about right for a 2 wheel tractor. The size of the tractor it could saftly stop wagons and start them

agmantoo":12n9flte said:
I am working at this time on a 4630 that spun a main bearing . It belongs to my neighbor that bought the tractor new. I do not know what parts these two tractors share but I will tell you the parts for the 4630 are expensive and some parts are hard to source without going to JD. John Deere no longer provides a new oil pump nor a rebuild kit. The only choice is for a rebuilt by JD oil pump that goes for over $750 without a usable core. I managed to get an out of frame Clevite overhaul kit for $1170. Machine shop work on this fix were done by a friend for $742. That was for turning the crank, a head job and a line bore on the block. To me, this was cheap. This tractor has ~11000 hours and this is the second engine rebuild according to the owner. He had a major drivetrain failure at around 8000 hours and the JD repair bill was over $15000. Prior to this recent failure he has spent more than $22000 at JD for major mechanical failure repairs. If it were mine I would have sent the tractor to the thicket. JD quoted a low of $12000 to a high of $15,000 for the current fix. This tractor is a 1000 RPM PTO also.
You have to keep in mind that when JD does the overhaul there is warrantee on their work. If something isn't right you'll be covered. Better hope you get it done right or you'll think $12,000 is cheap compared to what will be spent cleaning up the mess.

Latest posts