JD 310C Transmission problems

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo

Reaction score
Anyone here good with John Deere equipment?

I have a 310C 4x4 backhoe/loader. Transmission is hydrostatic type, with forward, neutral, and reverse. All of a sudden, I have no reverse. Symptoms are as follows:

Forward is forward. Runs well
Neutral is forward. Still runs forward
Reverse does not work at all. Transmission "locks" up.

Is there a sensor or solenoid that could be causing this? Be careful... idiot working on equipment here. :banana:

john250":erbovcli said:
I'm sure not a mechanic, but could this be a simple linkage adjustment?
Since you only have forward, trace out the linkage, my guess is you will find a broken link or one where the linkage has managed to separate.

Have had it happen on my tractors from time to time.

Granny, I am assuming this hydrostatic transmission means planatary with hydraulic clutches like an automatic transmission in a car or PU. If this is a correct assumption then the problem is stuck forward clutch pack. There is one clutch pack for forward and one for reverse (assuming). If the forward clutch pack is stuck together then placing the transmission in neutral does NOT disengage the forward clutch pack (stuck). Placing the transmission in reverse stalls the engine because you can't have two clutch pack engaged at the same time (lockup). This happens a lot with automatic transmissions. I'll bet you saw "slippage" from time to time when in forward before this happened. The friction discs and steel reaction disc were slipping past one another until the friction discs finally wore away then you've got steel on steel and the steels eventually got hot enough to weld themselves together - stuck.

Pull the dip stick out and look and smell the oil. The oil will be really dark and have a burned smell if the above condition happened.

Earl Thigpen":1pkd090a said:
Placing the transmission in reverse stalls the engine because you can't have two clutch pack engaged at the same time (lockup).

Engine does not stall at all. It just quits going forward, just like you locked the brakes down.

I'll bet you saw "slippage" from time to time when in forward before this happened. The friction discs and steel reaction disc were slipping past one another until the friction discs finally wore away then you've got steel on steel and the steels eventually got hot enough to weld themselves together - stuck.

Never had any slippage.

Pull the dip stick out and look and smell the oil. The oil will be really dark and have a burned smell if the above condition happened.

Been there and done that. Changed it while I was down there. Looked pretty good, smelled normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was talking to a mechanic at a JD industrial dealership a few towns over and he had started giving me things to look for, but his boss shut him down and won't let him talk to me anymore. Seems they want to make that $600.00 service call to my location. :help: He had mentioned to look for 3 solenoids on the left side of the tranny, that one of them probably had blown an o-ring. Looked for that and didn't find them, however there is 1 solenoid attached to the shift linkage where it goes into the transmission. After I email him this information, he won't respond anymore.

I really hate service calls and parts replacing.....

grannysoo":7epz3fgp said:
Earl Thigpen":7epz3fgp said:
Placing the transmission in reverse stalls the engine because you can't have two clutch pack engaged at the same time (lockup).

Engine does not stall at all. It just quits going forward, just like you locked the brakes down.

I'll bet you saw "slippage" from time to time when in forward before this happened. The friction discs and steel reaction disc were slipping past one another until the friction discs finally wore away then you've got steel on steel and the steels eventually got hot enough to weld themselves together - stuck.

Never had any slippage.

Been there and done that. Changed it while I was down there. Looked pretty good, smelled normal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was talking to a mechanic at a JD industrial dealership a few towns over and he had started giving me things to look for, but his boss shut him down and won't let him talk to me anymore. Seems they want to make that $600.00 service call to my location. :help: He had mentioned to look for 3 solenoids on the left side of the tranny, that one of them probably had blown an o-ring. Looked for that and didn't find them, however there is 1 solenoid attached to the shift linkage where it goes into the transmission. After I email him this information, he won't respond anymore.

I really hate service calls and parts replacing.....

OK, I guess I failed the test. good luck.

I have a John Deere 310C Serial Number TO310CA755986

The problems you described about your 310 are exactly what I am experiencing. Please let me know how you repaired your machine. I am talking to a mechanic that thinks the reverser needs rebuilding at a cost of about $2500. Any help would be great appreciated as money is kinda tight right now.

Thanks
Charles Feduccia
Liberty Hill, TX
cell 225-270-9930

[email protected]

3420184762_c70e52161d.jpg

3325999126_34bd2fb1af.jpg

Sorry I hadn't seen this post earlier
There is a snap ring on the shaft in the trans it is on the shaft that shifts from forward to reverse it has been almost 20 yrs since I have worked on one but it is a pretty simple fix
I do remember the last one I did we fixed it in less than a day
I will try and call a guy who used to work for me as a mechanic and ask him if I can get ahold of him might be hard to find him tho as he has moved several times and had several wives in the last few yrs mainly because of alcohol he was a great mechanic just a great drunk also

Talk about the dead coming back to life.... just look at this thread.

I was able to find a mechanic that knew exactly what the problem was. There is a plate in the transmission that was broken. Once I told him what the problem was, he told me what was wrong with it sight unseen. Said that it happens all the time, nothing unusual.

2 days and $1500.00 later, the machine was running like new again.

Thanks for everyones help.

Since you've gotten it fixed, can I borrow it for about a year? When you bring the JD, how about fixing the broken drive chain on my Case 1845 uniloader. And bring your portable welder. There's a tine broken off the tick on the uninloader.

we have had 8 deere backhoes, 1 B, 3 D's, 3 SE's, and 1 410 E and put at least 6000 hours on all of them and never had that problem.

Latest posts