JD 2955 3155 3255

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone own a John Deere 2955, 3155 or a 3255 series tractor or know someone who does? A MFWD 4WD is preferable.
I don't see one for sale that often, but needed to know if there is any weakness in this series of trators? It is a nice sized tractor to use in tight quarters and
has enough hp to to get things done around the farm.
Any info on these tractors would be appreciated.
Chuckie

The 2955 and 3155 are popular tractors around here. There's a lot of them around with a lot of hours showing. The most common problems I've seen are hydraulic related. But that's with any John Deere!

cfpinz

The complaint I've heard most often deals with the transmission in these tractors. They aren't synchronized and if you don't come to a complete stop when changing from forward to reverse or vice versa you get quite a bit of grinding.

Try http://www.brinkleyauctions.com

I wouldn't call the 2955 style tractor rare unless you start wanting the MFWD then they get a little harder to find.

Here's one that will sell Dec 13th.

REadv%20042.jpg

That's a clean nice tractor. I definitely could use that one. I am looking for a MFWD 4WD. I need the stout front end for the front end loader for putting out hay and feed.

Around here, that is a rare tractor. Of course, years ago, the 4020 was the cream of the crop when it came to the tractors around 100 hp. But farming has become bigger now and that is a small tractor for putting in row crops. We do have a 4020, and it is our newest tractor!
I have noticed that in different areas, different models are seen. Here, John Deere is the main tractor. But I have been other places, and see more Massey's or Fords, or Internationals.

That tractor is close to the perfect size for working around cattle.
I see those advertised in hilly land, where the fields are more pasture, than crops. But they are always so far away to just go look at before I know more info. Before I drive some distance to look at one, I needed to know some more details of, "dislikes and problems" of these three models.
If they have major problems, then I need to start looking at a different model. Like a 7400. We can find 7410's and such, but they cost more money too.

I do not want to buy a brand new tractor,(poverty level) but need one that still has a lot of hours left on it, if taken care of. Cab is definitely a must. We have never had a cab tractor, and it is time to "EVOLVE" with the technology, and quit eating so much dust, frying in the sun, and freezing in the winter!!!
I have made so much fun of those with the cabs since we didn't have one, that when I show up with one, I will have to eat crow big time.

Chuckie

Chuckie":1jao5et4 said:
cfpinz,
When you say the hydraulics, are you talking about the pump going out?

Chuckie

I see a lot of pump issues, as well as the constant leak that likes to play hide-and-seek on John Deeres. A seal here, a line there...

One other complaint I have about that series is the cabs, they're a bit snug, but how much room do you really need? I like a little extra room for a gun, chains, wife, whatever I'm using that day.

cfpinz

cfpinz, In what order do you usually need these in the cab with you? He-he!!!

There are times we do ride together. It was really crowded when the dog was still around, and he had to get in too. I was the one that suffered on that one. I sure do miss the dog!!! :roll:

Anyway, the pump is what I am worried about.
And splitting a tractor to repair ain't no fun. Takes time and MONEY!

I had a man tell me that the hydraulics were weak on these models. That is what I am wanting to hear someone "not" say. But this man was knowledgable, but, he also was selling tractors and did not have this series to sell, so the motive behind that statement leaves me wondering.
I did ask him when he meant weak, is this for a tractor that is used around cattle or one used 24 hours a day and heavy use? He said either. So.......
The best way to find out is from those that actually use them.

I wonder if I can get on a TV show where they have pity on a farmer and give away a new tractor. Kind of like, "pimp my ride," or the show where all the chicks have the suitcases, but have different tractors in them. Now that would be a good show.
Chuckie

One good thing about the main hydraulic pumps on most JD's is that they are external, in front of the motor driven by a shaft off the crank. Fairly easy to access and replace. My cousin has done quite a few and I believe he figures $1000-1500 a crack for parts but don't quote me on that. As far as strength goes, I think they have better pressure/flow than my Fords.

Pimp my tractor! :lol: Great idea! Bullbuyer was trying to pimp my bull one time, didin't like his color! :shock:

cfpinz

I just got rid of a JD 2950 2wd. Nice but a little on the small size. The reason for dumoing it was the hyduraulics, about a $12,000 bill comming up to replace both pumps. I replaced it with a 4055, much stouter tractor and MFWD. I'm not a JD fan at all but that is the only thing around here used. One place I worke has a 2955 MFWD with loader and has rebuilt the fron end at least twice rom handling bales. Will it work for this, yes but I would look at somthing a bit bigger. Get into a row crop tractor, not a utility, they are bult much heavier.

Sage,
John Deere is the only thing here if you want service.
Have you heard anything on a 4040? It is a 100 hp tractor with a MFWD. I have never heard anything bad on these that I can remember.
Chuckie

Novaman,
That is what I was looking at. I had thought the 4040 was front wheel assisted, but looked further into it and it is a mechanical front wheel drive.
That tractor is not that far from here. That would be a nice tractor since it is so close. I am trying to figure out if it is an imported tractor or made for the US.
It looks like there is enough room for me, the dog, and my better third.
Chuckie

I don't know much on a 4040, we run a 4440 about 130hp. I would go for the 4040 over a 2955. The hyd fron drive on the 4wd XX40 series is ok for intermediate use but wil overheat is used constant, such as plowing. Our 4440 is a 1979 vintage and has been a biut of a money pit but I blame most of that on the provious owners maint and use.

Chuckie":21w4sf82 said:
Sage,
John Deere is the only thing here if you want service.
Have you heard anything on a 4040? It is a 100 hp tractor with a MFWD. I have never heard anything bad on these that I can remember.
Chuckie

only thing I hearis That you cant beat them....

Latest posts