Jake does this one got enough Depth

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frenchie:

I went ahead and cut and pasted all my comments on this thread.

They follow:

I bet her calves don't weigh even 40% of what she does when they wean off. She has the look of a cow that has weaned a below average calf for at least 2-3 years, putting the fat on herself and starving herself. Depth is pretty if it is real, ugly if it is just fat from poor maternal production.

mtnman

Wow!

I've got a challenge for all you folks putting words in my mouth. Go find where I said I like frame 3 cows, I can't find it. Again, here we sit reading into what others say.

I don't know who Larry Samsom is, and I don't know what you mean talking about hair on her tail.

Cows get a look to them after several eyars of low or no production, and that cow has it. Something I can't really describe about the look of the fat on them, like it's all hard, stale fat, not soft, fresh fat. She looks like shes got it. Look at her udder too, it's got he look of being full of old fat, not fresh fat like she just weaned a heavy calf and is gaining body condition.

ollie is right, she's got good. It looks to me like she just LOOKS good cause she's fat from low production ability, not easy fleshing and productive. I don't know that I can describe what I mean. She's counterfeit, if I could find 100 that look like her, but don't look stale, we'd really have something. I don't know what she weighs, I can't tell by looking at a picture, I don't know what frame she is, I can't tell by looking at a picture.

She is heavy muscled, and I like that, she is deep, and I like that, but beyond that, the type of fat she carries indicates her low productivity. Call this Larry Samsom guy and get his opinion, maybe he can look at her tail.

mtnman
That's what I said-----UNPRODUCTIVE! She raised a dead calf!!!

Dang, us guys at MARC must REALLY know cattle, considering that I called it, and the rest of you folks like her, except for texan, and txag, who both caught it, too.

Or maybe, I don't really work at MARC at all, or anywhere else in the scientific world.

What's it gonna be, is mtnman a scientist that can pick out unproductive cattle better than the 'real cowmen' here, or is he just a cowman with some good sense who likes to review science now and then?

mtnman

Now with that all done, frenchie, please point out where I said she was barren, or sub-fertile.

Re-read what I wrote and tell me where I missed the boat on this cow, please.

I said she looked like she either had missed production, of had several years of low production.

Today's early post what more just to see who would fly off the handle more than anything else.

She's a nice looking cow, but part of the "niceness" comes from extra BCS due to low prodcution, or missin ga calf somewhere along the line. I don't know how to tell you what I mean, but I already did. Her fat is old, stale fat, not recent fat. In other words she had an opportunity to get fat sometime a long time ago(like when she didn't wean a calf the one year), and now she doesn't milk enough to take the old fat off her back. Missed production, followed by low production.

Didn't say anything about barren, subfertile, or any BS like that. That is someone else's interpretation of the cow, not mine. I don't care whose fault it is if she lost a calf, I said she looked like she had a history of no or low production. PERIOD.

All I did was describe the cow the way I saw her.

I apologize for "basking" a bit in my earlier post of today, I keep getting accused of this or that here on the board, so I it was nice to be "right" just that one time.

mtnman

"young cow" that has had 5 calves. Frenchie, do you know how young? And over what time period did she have those 5 calves? (just a bit curious -- no dog in this little squabble.)

mtnman":p3esrenx said:
Frenchie:

I bet her calves don't weigh even 40% of what she does when they wean off. She has the look of a cow that has weaned a below average calf for at least 2-3 years, putting the fat on herself and starving herself. Depth is pretty if it is real, ugly if it is just fat from poor maternal production.

mtnman

Check out the big tan cow in is this more acceptable thread. She is almost identical to one I posted ,before she calves.
she is 15 and had 13 calves.none under 545 lbs (heifer) the rest over 600 lbs. Her 2 sisters are identical in productional as well.

mntman":p3esrenx said:
Cows get a look to them after several eyars of low or no production, and that cow has it. .

mtnman

Now with that all done, frenchie, please point out where I said she was barren, or sub-fertile

your staement..Cows get a look to them after several eyars of low or no production, and that cow has it

and this statement She looks about as good as any of these beauties we see in the Angus Journal that haven't raised a calf for several years.

mtnman

Re-read what I wrote and tell me where I missed the boat on this cow, please.

She's a nice looking cow, but part of the "niceness" comes from extra BCS due to low prodcution, or missin ga calf somewhere along the line. .

All I did was describe the cow the way I saw her.

Arnold Ziffle":3gr5fwl0 said:
"young cow" that has had 5 calves. Frenchie, do you know how young? And over what time period did she have those 5 calves? (just a bit curious -- no dog in this little squabble.)

Well, I'm pretty much over it now, frenchie.

The story just keeps getting better with the telling now, huh?

Next, I suppose she'll have had triplets 10 months after the twins?

Over and out.

mtnman

PS. I've been around a few beefalo, I know what they looks like.

txag":2pakqasw said:
no one's calling frenchie a liar, they're just saying what the cow looks like, from the picture!

mtnman":12r6xh6y said:
Well, I'm pretty much over it now, frenchie.

The story just keeps getting better with the telling now, huh?

Next, I suppose she'll have had triplets 10 months after the twins?

Over and out.

mtnman

PS. I've been around a few beefalo, I know what they looks like.

Whatever care too call me a liar again.How about face to face.

farmer rich":1o8k1g3s said:
No rudeness intended Frenchie, just a little joke. forgot the :) .

Quad -L, if youy post pictures on a board like this you have to be prepared to accept negative comments as well as the good. When I see a cow that fat, all I see is money down the drain.

Why would you say money down the drain if you got a cow like that who says fat all year long and is reproducing good calves personally I think well if she is fat all year and having good calves sounds like a keeper to me.

Texan":2o01jwxe said:
Quad L Cattle":2o01jwxe said:
And even if its true i dont think it is a good thing to insult someones cattle. So i still think its RUDE!!!
It's not RUDE, it's just part of the cattle business. Everybody's cattle get insulted in one way or another. Whether it's from a poster on these Boards, a show judge, an order buyer, a packer......

I would rather the truth than somebody throw a bunch of BS at me about how she is nice. I would say its just one mans opionon.

Frenchman there may be something wrong with my machine but I cant even get a picture to come up at the first of the posting...sure would like to see what all the squabblings about

SCfarms":gtwilelk said:
farmer rich":gtwilelk said:

Quad -L, if youy post pictures on a board like this you have to be prepared to accept negative comments as well as the good. When I see a cow that fat, all I see is money down the drain.

Why would you say money down the drain if you got a cow like that who says fat all year long and is reproducing good calves personally I think well if she is fat all year and having good calves sounds like a keeper to me.

Well, if i had a cow that could stay in that kind of condition all year on the same amount of feed as the average cow, reproduce on time every year and wean a good heavy calf with little or no creep feed then I would most definitly agree, she would be a keeper.
My experience says that such a cow does not really exist.
Exess fat to that degree tells me she isn't doing her job efficiently, I want those pounds on her calves, not on her back.

ollie":2o3c72s4 said:
The whole website is pretty fun to look at . It is Harlan Richie's pictures of cattle phenotype changes over the last couple hundred years. No wonder we have such inconsistant beef.
http://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html
Ollie - Thank you very much for presenting these websites! :D When I logged on to this one and started clicking on the various ones from 1949 on it was like taking a walk through "Memorylane!" I remember a lot of these cattle and a lot of the men in the pictures - Tex Spitzer and J. Garrett Tolan, J.C.Penny (I was offered a job as Herdsman with Penny & James in 1948), Les Leachman, Paul Good (Auctioneer), Orin James and his Son, Jr., and the Champion Bulls of the years- O Bardaliermere, and Ankonian Dynamo! That sucker squeezed me up against a fence one time in a corral when Ankony Angus was in Loyalton, California! I didn't like that too well. :shock: :oops:

I recommend that EVERYONE who is in the beef BUSINESS peruse these sites and realize how fortunate we are nowadays that we have ALL the information that is available AT OUR FINGERTIPS to be successful in the BUSINESS. Thank GOD we don't have to stumble around not knowing how to be breeders of Beef Cattle. And appreciate the Q&A Boards! :D :D

Doc Harris, you've peaked my curosity. You through out a time frame I handn't associated with you. You are long of tooth. Though from your posts I have always associated you with the black business, there was a Doctor Harris I think from Ft Worth who bred Herefords in the 30's. He had a national champion bull of the Prince Domino line. He was a successful breeder of that era. He had a herdsman and fitter who was a Scottsman named Andy Michael. Andy came to this country with a load of Herefords and after his stint with Harris ended up with a set of cattle where a wonderful friend of mine was the waterboy and brush monkey. That friend went on to be influential in the Hereford business in the 60's through early 80's. I have heard him mention some of the people you named in the previous post so I asked him if he knew you and he gave me this Doctor Harris. My question is , Is the Doctor Harris of Ft. Worth any relation to you?

ollie":3kspifdy said:
Doc Harris, you've peaked my curosity. You through out a time frame I handn't associated with you. You are long of tooth. Though from your posts I have always associated you with the black business, there was a Doctor Harris I think from Ft Worth who bred Herefords in the 30's. He had a national champion bull of the Prince Domino line. He was a successful breeder of that era. He had a herdsman and fitter who was a Scottsman named Andy Michael. Andy came to this country with a load of Herefords and after his stint with Harris ended up with a set of cattle where a wonderful friend of mine was the waterboy and brush monkey. That friend went on to be influential in the Hereford business in the 60's through early 80's. I have heard him mention some of the people you named in the previous post so I asked him if he knew you and he gave me this Doctor Harris. My question is , Is the Doctor Harris of Ft. Worth any relation to you?
:shock: LONG of TOOTH? :lol: :lol: I attempt to divert those thoughts to somewhere in my mind where they sort of - stay in the background. :roll: However - when my years on this planet have been unavoidably brought to mind, I must face the inevitable evidence that I am, in fact, "LONG of TOOTH."

To answer your question - the Dr. Harris of Ft. Worth is no CLOSE relation of mine - to my geneological knowledge at the present time! I have attempted to trace my ancestry back as far as possible - but it comes to a screeching impossible stop with my Great Great Grandfather whose name was "Jack" - or possibly "John" or even "J" and there are Thousands of them! :shock: He was from Knoxville, Tenn., and I don't know if he actually lived there, or if "THEY" were chasing him through there! :lol: :lol: Anyone who has done an ancestry check understands how frustating it can be! You think you have some forebear 'tagged' for sure - - and then you realize that he was born two years after his son!! :shock: Ha Ha - THAT would make his son REALLY
L-O-O-O-O-N-G of Tooth.

Brandonm2":1db3tv4a said:
My God,

We are arguing over one black and white picture of a plain Jane Beefalo cow. People are actually calling a cow barren based on ONE photo??? The cow is OBVIOUSLY not a candidate for the show ring; but beyond that I don't see how anybody draws any conclusions about her ability to perform in her environment (other than she is eating well).

Finally someone said something sensible!! How can you tell such a thing from a picture?

farmer rich":2txf6fxc said:
SCfarms":2txf6fxc said:
farmer rich":2txf6fxc said:

Well, if i had a cow that could stay in that kind of condition all year on the same amount of feed as the average cow, reproduce on time every year and wean a good heavy calf with little or no creep feed then I would most definitly agree, she would be a keeper.
My experience says that such a cow does not really exist.
Exess fat to that degree tells me she isn't doing her job efficiently, I want those pounds on her calves, not on her back.

I agree with SC and with rich on that one.

mtnman":3e5f7hr6 said:

Dang, us guys at MARC must REALLY know cattle, considering that I called it, and the rest of you folks like her, except for texan, and txag, who both caught it, too.

Or maybe, I don't really work at MARC at all, or anywhere else in the scientific world.

What's it gonna be, is mtnman a scientist that can pick out unproductive cattle better than the 'real cowmen' here, or is he just a cowman with some good sense who likes to review science now and then?

mtnman

Ok, know get over yourself.

SCfarms":2qe2a0la said:
Texan":2qe2a0la said:
Quad L Cattle":2qe2a0la said:
And even if its true i dont think it is a good thing to insult someones cattle. So i still think its RUDE!!!
It's not RUDE, it's just part of the cattle business. Everybody's cattle get insulted in one way or another. Whether it's from a poster on these Boards, a show judge, an order buyer, a packer......

I would rather the truth than somebody throw a bunch of BS at me about how she is nice. I would say its just one mans opionon.

Im not saying that they should lie, im just saying that they should not be that harsh, if they werent rude they would have stopped at the fact that they thought it looked like a unpreductive cow.

OK Quad L you are beating a dead horse here. This topic had cooled off long ago. You are a day late and most likely a $1 short.
Move on would ya

Muratic":1uh0ngn8 said:
OK Quad L you are beating a dead horse here. This topic had cooled off long ago. You are a day late and most likely a $1 short.
Move on would ya
Way to go Muratic, but I don't think it will help. Seems to me that we have 2 SCfarms here teaming up. The best thing to do is ignore them and maybe they will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts